Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toe clips
Quote | Reply
Ok, my bike has toeclips, and odds are I wont be replacing them for awhile cause I dont see me spend $200 for pedals and shoes in the near future.

But this got me thiniking, in a sprint tri with a 12 mile bike, would clipless pedals make up the time difference of having to change shoes? My plan for T2 is park the bike take the helmet off put on a hat and go. Should be a very fast T2

ok not sure where the question in this is but more just idle thoughts.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're really fast then the seconds might make a difference... but if you're that fast shoes and cleats would probably make a difference as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to make it clear. Im not fast my sprint time will be measured with a sundial. Hell even without switching shoes my t2 time will probably be slow cause I'll be crawling off the bike, and rolling out onto the run course.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Toe pick!"

I have old Time pedals passed down to me through TSR, want them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "Toe pick!"

Wow. Not that's an awfulk movie. I'm ashamed I picked up the reference. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a really good thread a couple weeks ago discussing the pros and cons of whether to have your shoes clipped on your bike to save time in T1. I think most people agree that if you leave your bike shoes clipped in the pedals at the end of the bike, you will run faster through transition, which more than makes up the time it takes to get running shoes on if you have quick laces of some sort. I've done a T2 in less than 40 seconds with a change of glasses in addition to putting on running shoes and a hat.

FWIW, I got my clipless pedals and shoes (both really basic Shimano) on sale for a total of about $100 a few years ago so you should be able to find some fairly inexpensive ones if you look around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the fastest age groupers in Southern California, at 50 years old swears by his platforms. He puts his running shoes on in T1 - maybe a little longer, but I've seen him, and he's still quick thru T1. T2 is ridiculously fast for him (then he goes and pulls off a low 17 5k!)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're cycling in your RUNNING shoes, I gua-ron-tee you'll be faster. Those flexible running shoe soles are robbing you of tons of energy.

Unless by "toe clips" you mean you've got some of those "platform" pedals that strap your running shoes down to a full-length hard platform...

And the move may have been horrible, but Moira Kelly was still pretty hot... :)

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just race with what you have. If you have fun and want to get faster, get some pedals later.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [TwinDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes by "toe clips" I mean the old platform pedals with toe straps that hold your shoe to the pedal.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Toe pick!"

It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure chick flicks. Wonderfully over the top at times, and yet everyone seems to be in on the joke so it can't be taken too seriously. When you've got the tv commentators breathlessly discussing "I can't believe they've gotten tangled up in their own lederhosen!" it's got to be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll definitely be faster with clipless pedals. You can get a cheapo pair of pedals and shoes at performance for less than $100. The time you lose in T1/T2 will probably be 10-20 seconds, you'll more than make up for that in improved power transfer on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Toe clips [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You'll definitely be faster with clipless pedals. You can get a cheapo pair of pedals and shoes at performance for less than $100. The time you lose in T1/T2 will probably be 10-20 seconds, you'll more than make up for that in improved power transfer on the bike.[/reply]

Did a test last winter on an turbo trainer around the same virtual course with and without platforms (against speedplay pedals). I was losing around 30 secs in 12minutes (my average heart rate was slightly higher with the platforms as well on this test).
Did the test after trying them out in three sprint triathlons - flew through T2 but my cycling splits were surprisingly slow - now I know why
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But do you have the ones that have a flat plate that runs the whole length of the shoe (a specialty item made "just" for triathletes) or the "old fashioned" ones that only clip the toe of the shoe?

Essentially if you don't have anything keeping the back half of your shoe from flexing, you're working way too hard.

:)

--------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone checked to see if his bodyfat and speed merit using clipless pedals. He may not yet be worthy and would be guilty of poserdom.

sarcasm intended

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO no plate....

Of course the extra 50 lbs around the midsection also has me working way to hard....

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, me too. :-)

--------------------
Quote Reply