Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To shave or not to shave, that is the question
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty hairy guy. I'm no sasquatch but I have a significant amount of body hair. I'm going to be advancing to a couple 70.3 but still doing a few olympic distance. I'm assuming at least 1 olympic distance race and 1 70.3 will NOT be wetsuit legal. Is there any data on how much time I might actually be able to save by shaving? Personally I like my body hair. I don't want to be one of those beach body, baby butt smooth dudes. However, I'm willing to go totally (all non tri-suit covered areas) shaven if I feel it's worth saving enough time. I'm really most interested in shaving for the non-wetsuit races because then I get the swim and bike resistance time savings. So, what type of time could I save?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the bike, no idea, but in the water shaving is worth 2-3s per 100m

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't put on embrocation with hairy legs.

Just sayin.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe shaving legs is similar time savings to areo wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if you don't give a crap about the time, you should shave. When you've got two nurses using abrasive foam pads to scrub the dirt and gravel out of your legs, as I did, you'll be damn happy you did. They both commented multiple times how much easier it was to clean.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
totally (all non tri-suit covered areas) shaven

Speaking as a moderately hairy guy who once had this same idea, let me assure you, this will look maximally ridiculous to your significant other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
what type of time could I save?

Not sure I could quantify the time but the feeling of swimming after shaving...

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Mar 2, 18 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I believe shaving legs is similar time savings to areo wheels.

it's greater than savings provided by aero wheels. 10-15 W at 25mph when aero wheels save you 7-8 W
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

Speaking as a moderately hairy guy who once had this same idea, let me assure you, this will look maximally ridiculous to your significant other.

The true mankini

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

My wife loves it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlete.com/...s-wind-tunnel_102363

Jesse thomas tested it to savings of 15w
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm, wow! So, I guess I'm going to need to keep a razor in the shower too. I'm probably close to an 8 on the Chewbacca scale.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Even if you don't give a crap about the time, you should shave. When you've got two nurses using abrasive foam pads to scrub the dirt and gravel out of your legs, as I did, you'll be damn happy you did. They both commented multiple times how much easier it was to clean.

Female here...I shave regularly (damn societal norms) and I always make sure to shave my legs the night before a big ride, just in the off chance I come home with road rash. The thought of having to pull sticky bandages off of a wound surrounded by hair...ouch! Plus, you never know, the Dr. might be pretty cute! :)
Last edited by: ninagski: Mar 2, 18 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say why worry about it, unless you really think you will be a top contender in your AG my brain says it just is not worth it, so I stayed hairy. I think I saw an article awhile back that said a very hairy person could save around 70s over 40km if they shaved (not beard, apparently that doesn't affect drag according to the test).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just shave your legs, that's what I do. Leave the hair on your arms. If you spend money on a TT helmet, a triathlon bike, any kind of aero/carbon wheels, tri suits, etc then it is 100% foolish not to shave. A razor costs 5 bucks and its 15 mins a week of your time once you get started (the first shave takes a while). I'm pretty sure that shaving is the cheapest way to save time. Plus it makes your calves look super cut...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar boat but now do my legs after seeing too many crashes. Never done a swim time comparison of hairy/smooth legs but might give it a try. For upper bosy hair the old "second puberty" started to hit me a few years ago and I had a small patch at the base of my neck which I've always shaved because it looked silly sticking out the top of my tri suit and for vanity in the pool. Funny how chest hair is not frowned on but back hair is. It's beem getting worse and spreading to my shoulders so I just wear a sleeved tri suit for races now. All my races are wetsuit swims so no issue with sleeved tri suit.

I appreciate men complaining about having to shave anywhere is a bit of a joke for women who are judged a 1000x more than men.
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I find funny are the dudes who wear beards...but shave their legs. Dudes, you're doing it wrong.

Why would someone willfully Delilah themselves?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rule #12

http://badig.com/...-being-a-triathlete/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

+1! You think you look funny with your legs and arms shaved? my N=1, people expect that because that is what they see swimmers and bicyclists do already.

You running around with a skin tight suit on looking like you have smuggled Chewy in suit makes you look funny! Not to mention the cleaning of road rash wounds. That is worth it even if it happens once in all your life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first time will take longer than you thought. Take that time, then double it.

It's the opposite of sex.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
What I find funny are the dudes who wear beards...but shave their legs. Dudes, you're doing it wrong.

^^this!! Shaved legs and arms is so feminine. I just couldn’t do it unless I was pro. Re gravel rash-it’s a well used excuse but in reality makes little difference. The reality it’s more about vanity and trying to ‘fit in’...
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
http://www.triathlete.com/2014/07/photos/secrets-wind-tunnel_102363

Jesse thomas tested it to savings of 15w

This film of Jesse Thomas is from 2016. I'm shocked he was not, as a professional, aware of this film
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I
Published july 01 2014.
After that film in 2014 I started shaving my legs myself and although I did not do a windtunnel test I noticed a significant difference on my standard training course.
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

^^this!! Shaved legs and arms is so feminine. I just couldn’t do it unless I was pro. Re gravel rash-it’s a well used excuse but in reality makes little difference. The reality it’s more about vanity and trying to ‘fit in’...

Well between your opinion on my excuse and the urgent Care nurses with the scrubby pads, yours loses.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
dunno wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Well between your opinion on my excuse and the urgent Care nurses with the scrubby pads, yours loses.

They were just trying to make you feel better ;) I’ve had tons of gravel and road rash with hair on my legs-ain’t no big deal?
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
dunno wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

They were just trying to make you feel better ;) I’ve had tons of gravel and road rash with hair on my legs-ain’t no big deal?

I feel like I'm understanding what mansplaining is like. Someone with no knowledge of the situation telling me that my knowledge of the situation is wrong. We literally had a whole conversation about how the various cyclists/MTBers in and their experience and different methods they use based on how hairy the person is. But okay, you seem pretty convinced otherwise, so sure.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply

Prev Next