Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To race or not to race?
Quote | Reply
I'm in kind of a dilemma, and I'm just wondering how some of you more experienced in the tri game would react. I'm signed up for the half GFT next weekend in Clermont, and I was doing pretty well in my preparation for that race. But over the last three weeks, things have sort of fallen apart. Sept. 27 was my last long brick, a 4:16 workout (3:00 on the trainer, 1:16 run). A few days later, I did a long run (1:46). Since then, the longest workout I've done is a 35-mile ride. I've bought a house and been moving, had to work one weekend, been rained out another weekend, battled an odd elbow injury that has kept me out of the water for basically three weeks, and early this week (when I had Monday off and all day to train), I caught a little stomach bug that kept me in the bed until noon Tuesday. The only workout I've done this week is a 37:00 run Wednesday morning.

What I'm getting at is that my training has collapsed the last few weeks, and I'm not sure if I need to go to Clermont. I don't want it to turn into a sufferfest, but part of me says that after a long, hard season, this few weeks of rest might actually be advantageous. Just wondering what y'all think, and I know there are lots of questions that could be answered. I'm a MOP'er without much half IM experience, although I have finished one fairly comfortably this summer. I've also got a pretty good base built from nearly 10 months of solid training this season (and this is my third season). Just wondering, in general, what y'all think: Should I race or should I stay at the house? (At the moment, I'm leaning towards racing.)

RP
Quote Reply
Re: To race or not to race? [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ease into the race I think you'll feel great. The rest may be best thing, but you may feel a little sluggish at first. I had an injury 6 weeks before a marathon and barely worked out. I felt like a million bucks during the whole marathon. Started slow and worked into it. Don't fool yourself with the injury though, back off or quite if it becomes painfull.
Quote Reply
Re: To race or not to race? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you should basically take the week off and go do the race, if that elbow thing is not serious. I bet you show up feeling fantastic.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a call that only you can make. It's sounds like there have been some bigger priorities in your life recently and remember that there will always be another tri. Keep it in perspective and listen to what your body is telling you. Do it if you feel fit enough but if not, sounds like there's still lots to do with your new house!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems your body's fitness is good enough... Only your confidence is shaken by the fact that you weren't able to train in your typical compulsive behaviour format... sounds like typical triathlete behavior to me (yep, I have those compulsive behavior traits as well).

Sounds like the rest and recovery will be a plus... in fact, your issues may be not about training but rather recovery. I always feel better going into long course tris being more rested than over trained. In fact, not enough rest may be more of an issue in light of the recent stomach flu. Good Luck... do it if you feel good.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply