Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Titanflex strength & reliability
Quote | Reply
Hi
I'm new to this forum. My friend has shown me a picture of a Titanflex Transition bike that he wishes to buy and setup as a roadbike. I've heard of problems with some early Zipp beams coming loose and I'm wondering what riders experience is with Titanflex bikes? The top-tube looks pretty narrow, and the beam looks as if it is only held in place with 1 bolt (however that is done). My other concern for him is that the frame is Aluminium, and hence relatively brittle, I know that BikeFriday's, that also have a beam bike use a steel frame and 2 securing bolts.

Have there been any frame or mounting bolt failures?

thanks
Tintin
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex strength & reliability [Tintin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of any. Never heard a bad thing about Titanflex, the bike or Tom (the company). There are people who don't like beam/boom bikes. But in all my web browsing (fairly extensive about titanflex) never heard of ANY problems.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex strength & reliability [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can anyone post a photo of the top beam/join connection for me? I'm amazed that one bolt and a thin-walled tube is enough to hold the weight of the beam/rider without bending![reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headed out the door to work, search under my posts there are lots of recent pics. If you dont see what you want let me know. But you really cant see where it clamps cause its about an inch into the frame.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the Titaflex, I've heard they are great bikes. As far as the Zipp beams are concerned, I think you meant Softride beams. I've never heard of a Zipp beam coming "loose". Not sure how that would happen with the design.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex strength & reliability [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Headed out the door to work, search under my posts there are lots of recent pics. If you dont see what you want let me know. But you really cant see where it clamps cause its about an inch into the frame.[/reply]

hmm...thread title? I can't see it:-([reply][/reply]

regards
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, at the top of the page there are 2 yellow lines, the smaller one has a the search function. If you click on the options not only can you search by keyword but also poster.

Anyhow, I dug them up.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=titanflex;#1105934

and the original

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=fetish;#1084545

Let me know if you want more.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The beam is a very snug fit. When I adjusted it, it hardly seemed like one bolt was even necessary. I wouldn't worry about it at all. From what I've seen, this bike is very solid and reliable. By contrast, I've heard of a number of people having problems with Softride beams and procuring parts for them.

I wouldn't have any general concerns the beam design. My father has been riding a bike Friday for close to 15 years now without any problems.

-jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always contact Tom at TitanFlex. He is the inventor and would be happy to answer your emails.

http://www.ttinet.com/tf/index.htm
Last edited by: NYSLIM: Dec 19, 06 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Tom improved on the original soft-ride concept. I've used the same beam for 6 years and its fine. Nice bikes and as light and fast as anything else you'll find for 3x the price. Cheers, Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Own a Veteran which is a bit different than the Transition but uses the same idea. The titanium boom fits into the receptical nice and tight, so the single pinch bolt just keeps it from moving in or out. Since a significant part of the boom is inside the aluminum tube, the forces are spread over a good size area. The tube in a tube system make for an even stronger area. "Brittle" aluminum would be a concern for any bike. Disimilar corrosion would be more of a concern. Since the design relies on the flexibility of titanium, there are no moving parts. The boom has a warranty of 100 yr and the frame 5 yrs.

Love mine and would buy another if this one ever wears out!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex strength & reliability [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
presumably the lubrication between the boom and the tube would help to inhibit corrosion. I would imagine that most of the leverage would occur at the end point of the boom inside the tube, however the tighter the fit the more that force is spread over the whole length (I'm no engineer).

regards
Michael
Quote Reply