Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TitanFlex with longer cranks?
Quote | Reply
Looking at my options for a new frame which would take cranks at 203 to 197 length range with my 6'5" build and 37 inch inseam.

So, I see Titanflex makes an XL which they state is form insteam of 34 to 40. But, the BB height from the ground is the same for all three sizes of their frames.

Anyone have a titanflex with long crank arms?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're planning on pedaling through corners with these levers, then you're probably gonna have to go custom. The BB height is generally the same across all sizes for any given bike. If you want higher, go with a cyclocross bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a L TF with 180 cranks. Have never had a problem, though I don't pedal through sharp corners. Call Tom and see what he says.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote Tom to ask his opinion.

The L and XL have the same BB distance based on the web.

I would not be planning to pedal on the corners but I know Zinn sure makes a point of needing the BB higher as the cranks get longer.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes email isn't the quickest way to reach him. If you need a phone number, let me know and I will PM.

Stevie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a huge reason that you need cranks that long? I'm 6-3 with a 37" inseam. I ride 180mm Rotor cranks. I'd probably go longer , just for the hell of it, if Rotor made a longer crank arm. Just wondering the reason behind cranks that long.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the criteria for you going 180? Clearly the standard formula is .216 (or .21) times the inseam length. So, this means you should have 197 to 203.

Now, I want to do this right, rather than what someone makes for the standard person. I will be able to use my PC's and adjust up to 220 and see how it feels.

Dave

Last edited by: h2ofun: Oct 2, 05 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That "standard" formula, as far as I know...is not so "standard". Its just one guys opinion as to crank length. Its been discussed in length in other threads. I'm not really familiar with the specifics, but can remember that even that "formula" took alot of things for granted or assumptions.

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, just wondering what made you request cranks that long. I'd sure like to try them and see what happens...but......I love the RC's.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got this web site: http://www.cranklength.info/crankCalc.htm back from Tom Piszkin.

Very interesting. Depending on what formula you want to use, to moves around. But, 94 inseam can range

quite a bit. I guess this is why the bottom line is trying different crank lengths on the velotron and seeing real power

I got this from Tom " However, I didn't adjust the bottom bracket height on my XL frame because not many big riders use cranks longer than 180 mm...because they aren't made by the major suppliers....which gives Lennard a clientele to work with. If you can find the crankarms you want to use I can build a special XL frame with a higher B/B." Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom is great with customizing. I feel very fortunate to have one of his bikes...it has saved my aching back.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I am a believer in racing on PowerCranks, but I have yet to see anyone else do it. I use the 190s on a normal height bottom bracket and have never had any issues. If I were racing criteriums on the rode bike there would be a problem, but there is really no reason to pedal through corners in a triathlon. If you like the Titanflex I would not worry too much about the bottom bracket height for triathlon usage.

Chad

P.S. Did I ever give you the name of the company for the long crankarms?
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, can you give me the site again for longer cranks.

I just wrote Tom and ask about effective top tube length. I know in Dans review of the TF, he expresses concerns. Sure a pain to be so tall.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have it right now, but do a search for High Sierra Cycle Center. They sell them between 130 and 220 for $240.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex with longer cranks? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, thanks

http://www.hscycle.com/.../customcrankset.html

Dave

Quote Reply