Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire advice for 70.3 Waco
Quote | Reply
The country roads for 70.3 Waco are really beaten up and not maintained. I have a very aero race external 25mm 80/disc wheel setup but want to put 28mm tires on external 25mm 55 wheels in case of poor road/weather conditions . This will make tire wider than the 25mm rims. Since abandoning the 105 rule what's the opinion on going even wider to 30mm for less rolling resistance @ lower pressures? Would this cause too much sidewall flex?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire advice for 70.3 Waco [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is only a small section of chipseal - you'll be fine with the 28's.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Tire advice for 70.3 Waco [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the bike course. Going south and coming back. I’m not familiar with that area so let’s see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're definitely overthinking it.

I ran 25s last year in the torrential downpour and they worked great. 28s would be fine too but 30s are overkill for those roads
Quote Reply
Re: Tire advice for 70.3 Waco [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, use 28's if your bike will fit them. Otherwise, use 25's. And adjust your tire pressure accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran 25s at 80 psi last year and it was just fine, roads were actually good overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see you are preparing well for Waco 70.3! I think your references are to the old course, however, which truly is needing maintenance. That area of town has had exponential growth - the heavy duty trucks and equipment have absolutely destroyed the roads.Our local bike club still rides those roads every Tuesday night, and I ask myself, "Why..."
Which is exactly why this year's new course rides in a completely opposite direction towards Robinson and Chilton. I am am super excited to have you all ride it and provide feedback; almost 30% less turns, better surfaces, the straightaway out Hwy 77 to Chilton and back is as smooth as a baby's butt (or a triathlete's legs on race day:-). So back to your question; 25s for deep wheels is a great choice for the new course, esp on the Hwy 77 section. A 28 tire would help when getting out of town, but that is not where you stand to gain the most; take full advantage of the stretch on 77, it's so fast and fun.
My other thought: a larger concern for this course than the road surface is the chance for a windy day. A lot of the roads are exposed and open, meaning with a deep 88mm wheel and disc, you could be tossed around like a frisbee in the crosswinds. If you are smaller, like me, it could really cost you. So, in my opinion, if it is a super windy day, I would put the 50's on with 28s. 30s would be overkill on the new course, meaning you could be mocked by your fellow triathletes.
Looking forward to meeting you all at the finish line.
See you on the bridge!

Trisquirrel
Quote Reply