Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Review - Maxxis Re-Fuse
Quote | Reply
I was in the hunt for a new training tire and came across the Maxxis Re-fuse (700x23). It looked like a beefie tire. The tire is thick and very stiff (get your minds out of the gutter). The rubber compound is very hard but has a nice tread pattern to give it some grip in the turns. I put one on the rear of my bike back in late Oct '09. To date I have put probably 2000 miles on the tire. The tire shows very little wear and I have not had a flat on it. I have ridden pot hole infested roads, over glass, lumber and various other road debri. The tire has suffered no cuts, gashes, or chunking. This tire is not light and is definately not a race tire. The tire does not absorb road shock due to its stiff side walls. But if you are looking for a long lasting, flat resistant, inexpensive (39.95 at TriSports.com) tire for training this might be your tire. And no, I do not have any ties to Maxxis...just my observations.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Review - Maxxis Re-Fuse [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put a set of these on my road bike, only 150 miles or so on them so far, they still look new. 23mm in the front 25mm in the rear simply because the LBS only had one of each in stock. They seem to run narrow, the 25mm is about the same width as my old 23mm Conti Ultra Race.

I agree with your take on them...so far so good. Very solid winter training tire.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

The re-fuse is one of the go to tires around here where the roads can be really poor and there is all sorts of sharp things from the desert on the roads. I also use the re fuse tires. good product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I won a set of these tires in a prime and used them for a while. I rode it till the rubber was pretty much gone and still never flatted. It didn't last as long as an Armadillo in my experience, but it was a good and dependable training tire. I would use them again for a dependable training tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a love/hate relationship with the Refuse. I love how they resist punctures, but hate their poor ride quality, general slowness and hard rubber compound. I use them for a while, then the little devil on my shoulder says "ride the nice tires", so I take out my race tires, get flats and cut sidewalls and end back on the Refuse. The joke is that the Refuse stands for "refuses to take corners!". I have found I can get a softer ride running the 700x25c at lower pressure, around 80psi or so.
One word of caution is they dont like being used on the trainer, I have seen a lot of them delaminate the rubber from the casing that way.

Kevin
Quote Reply