Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tips for running Omega X under BB
Quote | Reply
I ran the TriRig Omega X (I believe it was the X - it was in autumn 2016) under the BB on my P5 for a month or so, but during the first ride in the rain it gunked up within an hour to the point that the brake would not release properly from the brake track. I'm contemplating trying it again (except the gunked up part!), but would like to get an idea of whether it actually is possible to mount it in this position and having it work for fine for more than an hour of riding in the rain. Good cabling will obviously be the first point - avoiding sharp kinks so the inner cable is running as smoothly as possible. Would something like the Jagwire Elite Link help a bit in this regard?

I believe some in here are running the Omega X under the BB. Does it work fine even in wet/gritty conditions? Any sort of cover over the brake or are you running the brake 'naked' (including it's own front cover of course)? How often do you need to clean and lube the rollers? Ron Ruff suggested one could try dunk it in wax as it works so well for chains - anyone tried that?

In the weekend I think I'll check whether the P5 BB cover will fit over the Omega X as that would give some shielding from all the water and grit being thrown up from the front tyre - all the grit being directed directly against the pretty exposed rollers must be a hard life for the brake in that position without any shielding.

I'm obviously especially interested if anyone is running a rear Omega X on a P5. I can see Nick build up a P5 himself using the Omega also on the rear:

https://www.tririg.com/...o_P5_Build&num=5

It's tough to see how exactly he did the cable routing, though - IIRC the kink in the brake cable seems to be way too sharp unless you ditch the cover plate that goes over the large opening underneath the BB (the guide for the rear brake cable in that plate is simply too rearward for the brake cable to enter without a sharp kink).

Any input is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just mounted one on my Felt IA16. It was a bit tight to get the cable housing to make the turn from out of the BB into the cable hanger in the plate, but no tighter than some of the bends through the base bars up front. The friction from that is minimal and I don't have any problems with the "feel". Haven't ridden in the wet and grit, but can't see how there would be anything that would cause issues in a short ride. Ver small section of cable exposed and everything else should be covered by the Omega X cover. I can see grit getting into the cable housing through repeated braking in wet/nasty conditions over a very long period. But not in an hour or so. But again, I'm never riding in nasty conditions as I'm mostly on the trainer anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running my Omega X under the bottom bracket of my IA16 for a few years. I have never had any kind of gunking or binding issue. I have always had the cover on the brake. I do not ride in the rain often, but I do a ride that has a lot of mud & muck on the road frequently. I do wash my bike after every nasty ride, so there is no opportunity for build-up over rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you take a look at the image below I have put a red circle around the area with the rollers that are very exposed to water and grit from the front tyre when riding on wet roads. I have no problems with my front Omega X, but the angle which water is coming at it from the tyre is much less challenging.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why I was imagining all that covered by the cover in my head. But I see what you are saying. But do you think that is significantly worse than the traditional rear brake mounting area. Where the brake is at the top of the seat stays and the overspray from the rear wheel may get over the brake? Again, no experience, so just spit balling.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know - I've never run it in a standard rear brake position. Though I would think that having the dirty water sprayed directly onto and in between the rollers could easily be worse than not having it directly in the 'spray line of sight', so to speak. Also, I think more water and dirt is flying around the closer you get to the ground in general.

We need a lengthed cover that covers the top of the rollers from above :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have been running my Omega X under the bottom bracket of my IA16 for a few years. I have never had any kind of gunking or binding issue. I have always had the cover on the brake. I do not ride in the rain often, but I do a ride that has a lot of mud & muck on the road frequently. I do wash my bike after every nasty ride, so there is no opportunity for build-up over rides.

I could live with something I would need to clean after each ride in the wet, but it absolutely needs to work 100% for an entire wet ride - not much fun having your brake drag the last 10k of an important TT! That was not my impression last time I had it installed. I'm looking into what is thought to be the best brake inner and outer cables as it sounds like it should be possible to get the Omega X to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will try to take and post a picture of my underside like the one above from Tririg. I wonder if the angle of the brake or its position on the BB could affect performance. For example, maybe there is a slight tilt or natural BB shroud that is shielding my IA16 brake from the nasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been playing with the Omega on my P5. I really want to use a mechanical brake with the BB cover. I don't think the Omega is the answer for me. I just installed the TRP T925 and I still can't get the cover on and the brake cable bend is bad. Has anyone used a mechanical brake on the P5 with the BB cover?

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sort of what I am after, too. I'm not sure if the inversed TRP T925.1 that was made for the P5 will actually fit under the cover or not.

What's your problem with the Omega - if it's the Omega X I assume it's the cable bend to the hanger plate?
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the x too wide for the cover or just too thick? if too thick, why not just leave the magnetic cover off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish someone could come up with a solution for us Felt DA owners that would like to convert and use the brake...so far nobody has a template or bracket out there the is easily obtainable
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
is the x too wide for the cover or just too thick? if too thick, why not just leave the magnetic cover off?

I would guess the cable bend to the hanger is the problem. The magnetic cover could just be left off, as you say, if it's too thick. I doubt the Omega is to wide.

What are you running on your P5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i happily lost my p5 to a driver back in 2014. been p3 since than. as i stated i some other thread, i detest all the under b brake bikes i have ever owned. gunking of brakes in wet weather was an issue on all of them, except maybe the original felt da/b2 i had in 2008.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think the Magura held up pretty well at the BB. I just don't think it will look that good with two different brake levers ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run an under BB Omega for years now and in wet weather they can start to clog up and not perform the greatest but I have never had any huge issues on a ride. They just require a lot of regular maintenance to clan and lube the rollers. Something to be aware of is removing the magnetic front cover after wet weather as water pools on the magnets and I basically had one rust out and fall out the cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a front view and a side view of my Omega X on my Felt IA16. The front view does not show it as much, because I shot at a slight upward angle, but you can see from the side that the leading edge of the bottom bracket kind of shrouds the leading edge of the brake. In other words, the natural design of the frame shields the brake a little bit from road crap.

As you can see, mine is a bit dirty-- dirtier than I realized. But, it has never given me any problems in any conditions. I wonder if the bike makes a difference in brake performance?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures. I bet the cable routing can make a difference. Still not sure which cables are the best - Jagwire Elite Link seems good in general, but then a review says you can't bend it too much, which I thought was one of the strong points of the whole link cable stuff?

If you can get it to work fine in that position I should do to (if the cable routing can be done properly). I can live with having to nurse it a bit after a few rides in the rain (I don't usually train on it if it's wet anyway), but it absolutely must keep functioning well for at least a few hours in the rain so I will not get problems in a wet TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe use a flexy piece of housing to enter the TriRig brake?

M-Wave Flexi-Pipe for V-Brake (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_8sYsCb1QEXG24

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Thanks for the pictures. I bet the cable routing can make a difference.
Yes, the IA16 cable routing is easy, because the BB area looks purpose-designed for a mechanical brake. I bet that on most bikes with mechanical, non-proprietary rear brakes, the cable exit is a hole that dips down like this that naturally protects the brake and makes cable management easy. The bottom of the P5 is basically flat and fully exposed, so it is a little more challenging.

I have no clue on cable options. I have Shimano's Dura Ace cable on my TT bike and Jagwire Road Elite (non-link) on my road bike. Both seem pretty much equivalent to me. Maybe a noodle at the end of the cable run with its gentile bend could solve the cable management. But, you might have to drill out the bottom plastic cover for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for running Omega X under BB [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have one or two like that at home I will play with in the weekend. There's also a bit of bending going on around the stem area, though probably not quite as severe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
MTM wrote:
Thanks for the pictures. I bet the cable routing can make a difference.

Yes, the IA16 cable routing is easy, because the BB area looks purpose-designed for a mechanical brake. I bet that on most bikes with mechanical, non-proprietary rear brakes, the cable exit is a hole that dips down like this that naturally protects the brake and makes cable management easy. The bottom of the P5 is basically flat and fully exposed, so it is a little more challenging.

I have no clue on cable options. I have Shimano's Dura Ace cable on my TT bike and Jagwire Road Elite (non-link) on my road bike. Both seem pretty much equivalent to me. Maybe a noodle at the end of the cable run with its gentile bend could solve the cable management. But, you might have to drill out the bottom plastic cover for that.

Noodle like suggested above might help. Either drilling the cable cover or removing it all together might also help. Shimano has some polymer-coated cables that should be better than their standard ones, though I have no idea how much is in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Shimano has some polymer-coated cables that should be better than their standard ones, though I have no idea how much is in it.
The cable you see in my picture is Shimano's polymer coated version. It is their "BC-9000" cable set. They are very sweet. They say that the cable's coating and housing lining are designed to work together. I can affirm that they feel like very low friction, but I have no objective comparison data. Their only real fault is color: I think they are only available in black or silver-gray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like they are also available in white and red - though black is fine for me. I can't seem to find them with an MTB brake inner cable, though. I need that for my 3T brake levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you get it the pad holders to fit with the chain stay cutout?
I am running into problems with fitting the brake to have enough clearance for the flo disc to sit in the space.
Quote Reply

Prev Next