Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tips for Gravel Bike Build
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a new gravel frameset (Chapter2 AO) and am planning on building it up with 1x GRX. I don't plan on racing it, but having it as an adventure/long ride bike when I don't feel like hitting the pavement. My plan is the 42 tooth GRX crankset plus the 11-42 Deore cassette (thinking the 1:1 ratio will be nice). I'm not too sensitive to cadence changes (and have a nice road bike for road group rides anyways). I know I'll need the bigger rear derailleur to accommodate the large rear cassette. Anybody have any tips or suggestions that would steer me in a different direction?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would be better off building the bike as a 2x setup. 1x with a 42 front chainring and 11-42 cassette will not even be close to enough gearing for climbing. The only 1x setup that gives you enough range for gravel climbs and some mixed in road riding is 38-42T front chainring and 10-50 eagle cassette or 11-51 shimano cassette. Thats my opinion but everyone likes different setups.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d lean towards a 10-42 XD cassette for little more range. e*thirteen has a 9-42, and also a 9-39 that could be paired to 40t front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do double chainrings.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I was thinking the 1:1 might be doable. I have heard that gravel can get pretty steep though. So looking on the shimano website, the crankset is fixed at 48/31. Would you stick with the 11-42 Deore cassette too? They also have 11-40 and 11-46 - would I be best with just the largest range possible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on where you live and what "gravel" means in that area. Around Washington, "gravel" usually means extended climbs of 15% and steeper. 1:1 gearing means you'll be struggling on many of these, even if you're a gifted climber. While there's no shame in walking, it still sucks. Go lower if you can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, live in the Midwest and gravel climbs will be much steeper than paved roads. Then you add fresh gravel, that means climbing a steep grade without getting out of the saddle.

I'm a big fan of 1x for mtn biking, but I wouldn't consider it for gravel, but that doesn't mean it doesn't works for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1x works for any grade depending on your w/kg of course. And maybe also how far you intended to ride.

I just posted yesterday about the beauty of GRX and 2x di2 synchro shift. See the thread I started there.

I ride a Domane SLR and for midwest gravel I don't think any more bike is needed. It will clear 40mm no problem with the GRX FD or 1x setup.

I just did 180 miles on that setup last week. Even had a few creek crosses and some chunky stuff. Again I just feel for the upper midwest nothing more than 40 is ever needed. Course like DK with big chunky stuff a bigger tire is nice for the ability to run very low pressure to absorb stuff, but still not smack the rim. It's a delicate balance :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having read the previous comments about cassette size I think the question you have to ask yourself is how fast you are planning on riding the bike. Turning a 42x42 at 80 rpm on a 650 wheel with a 42mm tire yields a speed of 6.3 mph dropping the cadence to 60 is a speed of 4.7 mph.

If you ride on terrain which requires a lot of grinding at 5mph then the 1:1 ratio is a bit small especially if you naturally prefer a higher cadence. Where I ride there is nothing like that but I understand it is those kind of conditions that define gravel for many people. I am also a fan of 1x on gravel but again that because I'm not riding over terrain where I am ascending at 3mph and descending at 40mph. Have a play with a gear chart and in relation to the areas you may ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very valid. I think a big ?? for all gravel riders is WHERE they ride. Do they have a legit need for a huge tire? Why?

Again myself for example I'm almost always on good gravel. Contrast that to bad gravel (DK). Therefore I like a very fast setup due to racing and riding 98% good gravel.

During my big ride last week I went 4 mph. I also went 51 mph. Not sure if 51 is a good idea on gravel tires, but it seemed ok at the time! LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Chapter2 bikes. They are all beautiful.

Having a rough idea of your watts/kg would help too. By the nature of your bike choice, I'm guessing you're not going to be packed down with stuff and likely using something close to 40 mm tires.

I'm using identical gearing (on 40 mm tires) out in the Driftless Region where you constantly have steep and loose (but fairly short) climbs that require sitting or your wheel spins out. I have experimented with lower gearing, but I really struggled to keep the bike in a straight line the one time I tried as low as 22 gear inches. I'm not going much faster than walking speed at that point. 27-29 gear inches for a low end has been good for me, but I hover around 3.75 w/kg. Not great, not bad. To me, anything much over 100 gear inches is a waste. 110 would be the ceiling of what I could possibly use on larger tires. I need to be going downhill on pavement before I can spin out 42x11 which is about 105 gear inches. As you said, I have a road bike for that kind of riding.

It's up to you how to achieve that gear range. 42 x 11-46 should work on a GRX 1x rear derailleur and be enough low end for most riders above 3.5 watt/kg in most situations. 38 x 10-42 is near identical gear range to that and the xd cassettes save a bit of weight at the expense of $$. Maybe 42 x 11-42 or 11-40 if you're a little stronger. Seems like a lot of cyclists on ST are a bit beyond 3.5 watts/kg threshold too.

If you want to stay in the GRX family, I think their only 800 series crank is 48/31. The GRX 2x combo of 48/31 x 11-32 would give you identical low end (to the 42 x 11-46) and 15 distinct gears (unlikely you would do much with the highest top two though). The 'gaps' between gears argument doesn't hold a lot of water here because you would use the 12 tooth so little in this configuration that it really shouldn't matter if it's there or not. The middle of the cassette is almost entirely 2 tooth steps whether you use an 11-32 or 11-34 and to an extent, an 11-40. You see a couple more 3 tooth steps in the 11-40. A 31 front 40 rear is really, really low though. I would say too low for a lot of people that aren't bikepacking.

There's not a wrong answer between 1x and 2x. Does a minor amount of more weight, maintenance and complexity for a 3-4 extra gears within the needed gear inch range sound good? 2x might be calling you. If you're truly insensitive to cadence changes and not trying to use the same bike for top end speed, 1x might be the ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for your reply! I did actually read over your ride report (looked awesome by the way, congrats!). Ah I really wish I could build it up with GRX Di2, but I think its going to be a touch out of my budget... I have synchro shift on my TT and road bikes, but I'm planning on keeping this one a bit simpler of a build. I do plan on running just a 40mm tire to start out for sure, I think that will give me plenty of tire as I get into gravel riding.

As for my location, I live in Vancouver, BC and know we have the full range of gravel options from super chunky to well groomed. My hope is that my gearing selection will be suitable to not hold me back from trying any and all of it! And understood its going to really depend on my w/kg - I guess I would consider myself a pretty strong rider, my FTP puts me at about 4.8 W/kg (I was just over 400 W for a 20 minute test a couple of weeks ago at 78kg). So I could probably handle some steep hills with a 1:1 ratio still.

I guess at this point, my question would be for setting up an adventure bike, is having that extra gear range worth the extra cost (ie. a front derailleur) and simplicity (I like the idea of having a simple 1x drivetrain)?
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply! For sure, the Chapter2 bikes are beautiful, I'll definitely post some photos of it once I get it all built up!

So my W/kg at my threshold is about 4.8 W/kg (I was a bit over 400 W for a 20 minute test at 78kg a couple of weeks ago), so I'm a pretty strong rider. And in terms of the gravel I will be riding, I'm located in Vancouver, BC and have heard we have the entire spectrum - I'm hoping to build up the bike to be able to tackle it all. So I guess that would kinda answer my own question then... I may as well just build it up with the 2x drivetrain so it is never going to be the limiting factor for me being able to ride everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Thanks for your reply! For sure, the Chapter2 bikes are beautiful, I'll definitely post some photos of it once I get it all built up!

So my W/kg at my threshold is about 4.8 W/kg (I was a bit over 400 W for a 20 minute test at 78kg a couple of weeks ago), so I'm a pretty strong rider. And in terms of the gravel I will be riding, I'm located in Vancouver, BC and have heard we have the entire spectrum - I'm hoping to build up the bike to be able to tackle it all. So I guess that would kinda answer my own question then... I may as well just build it up with the 2x drivetrain so it is never going to be the limiting factor for me being able to ride everything.

Yeesh, at those power numbers just put on a 50 front and an 11-23 corn cob and you're good to go!

I would only go 2x if it's electronic shifting. Mechanical FD's are horrible for dropped chains on rough terrain no matter the manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the biggest thing that steered me towards the 1x, I absolutely hate dropping my chain! I figured with gravel especially it'll be so nice just having that single ring. Even with the GRX and clutched rear derailleur, would you say dropping the chain is going to be an issue with a 2x drivetrain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang. Ride whatever you want. 1:1 on 700 x 40ish wheels (27ish gear inches) is plenty low enough for you.

My closest riding buddy from here moved out your way to Langley a year back. I was super jealous of seeing his rides over the winter while it was well below freezing here.
Last edited by: dangle: May 19, 20 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
You would be better off building the bike as a 2x setup. 1x with a 42 front chainring and 11-42 cassette will not even be close to enough gearing for climbing. The only 1x setup that gives you enough range for gravel climbs and some mixed in road riding is 38-42T front chainring and 10-50 eagle cassette or 11-51 shimano cassette. Thats my opinion but everyone likes different setups.

I'm running 1x with 42t and 10-42. It's fine but currently looking to move to electronic shifting so now I'm stuck on deciding to stick 1x or go 2x. I haven't had an issue with climbing, but downhills and flats, I get dropped by the 2x folks. Since I race a ton of gravel races, I'm thinking 2x may give me enough to bump up my large ring to 44/34 or 46/34 with a 11-34 or 11-36 cassette (or 10-34/10-36 if I go 12 speed AXS).

Quote | Reply
My road bike is 2x and gravel (or rather, do everything) is 1x. I've done everything from DK to a 150-mile, 15k climbing day on it and never wished for a different setup. The good thing with Di2 is you can build it 1x and if you hate it, add a FD without much difficulty.

For a rider with your power you'll definitely want a 10 with 42 front ring. Most of the time I ride 46 x 10-42. For DK I'll swap to a 44 front (Takes 3 minutes with Wolf Tooth ring and bolts). That's the other nice thing about 1x is you can easily swap rings if the situation calls. Believe Hope also makes a 10-44.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
You would be better off building the bike as a 2x setup. 1x with a 42 front chainring and 11-42 cassette will not even be close to enough gearing for climbing.

That's about how my mtb is set up and I find way steeper trail climbs than any road- paved or gravel.

Not sure I follow your logic on going 2x.
Besides, on dirt not having a front der is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
That's the biggest thing that steered me towards the 1x, I absolutely hate dropping my chain! I figured with gravel especially it'll be so nice just having that single ring. Even with the GRX and clutched rear derailleur, would you say dropping the chain is going to be an issue with a 2x drivetrain?

I don't know enough about GRX to say one way or the other. I would assume Shimano has done their homework.
I suppose with a good chain catcher it's not a big deal nowadays...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that w/kg you don't HAVE TO have 1:1. No way. Sure there will be grindy times. I'm a grinder and I just deal with it a little bit.

So for me yep I can deal with some 15% grade type stuff with 36-28. Certainly for those type of climbs 34-30 or more would be even better. 34-34 is certainly available, but I just don't think at that level a full on 1:1 is really ever necessary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
So my W/kg at my threshold is about 4.8 W/kg (I was a bit over 400 W for a 20 minute test at 78kg a couple of weeks ago), so I'm a pretty strong rider. And in terms of the gravel I will be riding, I'm located in Vancouver, BC and have heard we have the entire spectrum
I haven't ridden gravel in BC, but if it's anything like the Seattle area, it's definitely very variable. Most of the gravel is forest roads in the foothills, often very steep, that get surfaced with whatever is convenient, and quite literally: the gravel road networks are dotted with little quarries where they blast and crush the required aggregate for the roads.

On low-maintenance roads which will handle logging trucks and drainage is a concern, sometimes the aggregate gets extremely large; depending on compaction and weathering, these roads can vary from "actually pretty smooth" if they're freshly-compacted, to "like riding on rough cobblestones" if the hardpack that they're compacted into has weathered around the chunks, to "can a truck please smash this down already LOL WTF":

Actually, it gets even worse than that. Recently I rode a road that was semi-compacted by the vehicles building the road. It was sort of like the above, but with deceptive ruts and scattered chunk piles. I was only on it for a few minutes, but I nearly crashed several times from the front wheel contemplating whether it wanted to fold out from under me. I know a guy who did crash on it recently, and destroyed a tire in the process. It'll be a good road when it's complete and compacted, it's got fun gradients and good scenery.

Most roads are better-quality than that kind of stuff, even when they're double-track.

The high-usage roads made from finer aggregate can sometimes be velodrome-smooth:

But thanks to the damp regional weather, they're highly prone to developing potholes, especially in low-gradient spots. And, severe washboarding also happens in places.

I'd avoid erring low on tire clearance. Most people I ride gravel with have their bike's clearance close to maxed out; I've got a bit of spare room in mine, but I've already got 2.1" tires on there and I'm trying to keep the fender clearance safe.
Sometimes people do okay on tires in the ~33mm ballpark, but it depends on the setup and the road. I've seen people ride fast skinny CX tires just fine for most of a ride, and then we'll hit a stretch where they suddenly burn through all the spare tubes in the group in just a few miles.

Quote:
I'm hoping to build up the bike to be able to tackle it all. So I guess that would kinda answer my own question then... I may as well just build it up with the 2x drivetrain so it is never going to be the limiting factor for me being able to ride everything.
The gradients can definitely be significant around here. A lot of climbs average 10-12% for a mile or two.
The bottom gear on my gravel bike is 19", achieved with a 24T chainring and 32T big cog. That's mostly adequate, although some stretches still make me go "ow":

The view at the top was AMAZING, though.

I can't agree with dangle's point that ultra-low gearing is "walking speed", though. 3mph might be gentle walking speed unencumbered on flat ground, but it's not gentle walking speed dragging a bike up 20% chunky double-track. When the gearing allows it and the terrain isn't too technical to ride, riding is nearly always better than walking.

That being said.

At 4.8W/kg, you are a monster. A hill that I can handle smoothly with a 19" gear, you could probably manage similarly well if your lowest gear is somewhere around 1:1.

That also being said.

2x isn't about getting a super-low low-end. You can get a super-low gear on 1x just fine; just use a tiny chainring and a cassette with a huge cog. The caveat is what kind of spacing you can get over what kind of range, since you have fewer total ratios to work with.
If the bike is a "do everything" machine and you still want it to have good attitude on paved road riding, you might want 2x to keep the gear spacing and top-end reasonable.

My gravel bike gets a fair amount of use on paved roads and even in road pacelines, so I like having multiple chainrings so that I can manage good spacing through the road cruising range and a 113" top gear. Or I'm just making excuses for the fact that my gravel bike is a drop-bar converted old MTB and it just happened to have a triple crank on it when I got it, haha. But I am able to squeeze about 18 unique useful ratios out of the 3x8 without the shifting getting wildly esoteric.

I can't speak to chain drop risk on GRX. My drivetrain is pretty bouncy*, and used to be capable of dropping chains on rough terrain even when I wasn't shifting, so it's got a Dog Fang chain catcher on it now. No chain-drop issues on gravel since I installed that.

*Rear derailleur is Alivio RD-T4000. It has no clutch/damper, and applies pretty low chain tension on its super-long arm.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank everyone for their detailed responses!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Perhaps this might help in addition to the many replies

also worth noting (and a common misconception) that the clutch is NOT a cure-all for drops as it's only putting tension the bottom of the chain. If you're not pedaling or backpedaling (even worse) you're more likely to drop, 1x w/ narrow-wide or not.

fwiw, I'm not a fan of 1x groading and think 1:1 is more than enough unless your ride is loaded w/ bikepacking gear. I run 50/34 with 11-32 90+% of the time on 700x35 rubber and grx di2 with a sram crank (powermeter)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for Gravel Bike Build [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Dopers.Suck wrote:
You would be better off building the bike as a 2x setup. 1x with a 42 front chainring and 11-42 cassette will not even be close to enough gearing for climbing.

That's about how my mtb is set up and I find way steeper trail climbs than any road- paved or gravel.

Not sure I follow your logic on going 2x.
Besides, on dirt not having a front der is a good thing.

I doubt you have a 42 on your MTB;
If 1x
32 Likely
34 Maybe
36 Unlikely.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next