Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time to relocate. Any ideas?
Quote | Reply
I have had enough of New Orleans. Too flat, too hot, too backward, and I have to put my 3 kids in private school. (not to mention a little problem with the weather!)

With my job responsibilities I can move to any of the following states so long as I am within a 1 1/2 hour drive of a major airport. (Illinois, Michigan, Wisc. Indiana, Ohio, Arkansas, Kansas, MO, MS, KY or Western PA - my home town)

My top 3 priorities in order of importance are: 1) Excellent public schools, 2) Excellent cycling / multi-sport (terrain, community, safety etc.) 3) Enough Starbucks to make the Wife happy.

I would love to go back to the Pittsburgh area, but I am having a difficult time convincing my Wife.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Time to relocate. Any ideas? [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Italy...you have the right name.

PGH...yuck...

geeee...though...good timing to decide to move out of NO..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Middleton, WI. Or Madison. Great schools. Great cycling (for some of the year). Middleton just won top 10 places to live in Money Mag. It's a Madison bedroom community, really. I like lliving in Madison, but won't be here forever. I need somthing more urban.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not come to Cincy like 1/2 the rest of the Slowtwitchers. I'll even introduce you to Marisol and Kitytcat ;)

Big City with a small town feel. Excellent suburb schools, biking, running, and tri people galore, opera, pro sports, etc. Weather is not bad at all. Even took Record10 to a Starbucks (where he flirted with no less than 2 women - 1 with very large fake you know what and one in a Mercedes "like his" - nice line Chip).

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 14, 05 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in NE Ohio. Yeah, it gets snow, but the people there are soooo nice. It's the kind of place where people don't lock their doors and everyone knows everyone. The cost of living is very low. The public schools in the suburbs are very good. Summit County has an AMAZING county park system + the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. There's a 60+ mile (?) crushed limestone trail that goes from Cleveland to past Akron and is being extended even further. Every time I go home, it's the one thing that I have to go visit. I made my mom do a 20 mile ride with me the last time I was there. There are some great hills around there, and lots of wide-open country roads, too. Great apple orchards and farmers markets. Bad side: certain areas outside of Cleveland lack variety/culture/trendiness, and the job market is a little slow. It snows a lot, but you'll probably get to have a lot of white Christmases and snowball fights.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to relocate. Any ideas? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'll even introduce you to Marisol and Kittcat ;) .....took Record10 to a Starbucks "

You've almost convinced me to move there. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move to montreal.
Airport within 20 minutes of the city, starbucks on every corner almost. Triathlon teams and training camps all over. tons of fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Texas? Lance lives there!!!

(Francois will appreciate this post : ))

Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Time to relocate. Any ideas? [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Move to montreal"

My favorite North American city bar none. I love the European flavor and the French chic.

Marisol is from there but now lives in Cincy. Go figure. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the 'Burgh now and I love it. If I had my choice I would take Raleigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 1) Excellent public schools, 2) Excellent cycling / multi-sport (terrain, community, safety etc.) 3) Enough Starbucks to make the Wife happy.

Lawrence, Kansas. Before you spit your mocha mocha kaie latte grande vento capuccino out your nose, check it out.

* College town (home of KU ... can you say Jayhawk basketball)
* in the middle of the flint hills ... rolling terrain, endless backcountry roads for cyclng. i've ridden a ton in the area, and the riding is deceptively good for the midwest and not flat, as one might expect of Kansas.
* between kansas city, topeka and lawrence ... a good tri scene. not great, but good.
* good public schools, and better private schools. also, a very safe community for raising kids.
* progressive/liberal politics for a midwestern city.
* pop. around 130K. but only 30 miles from kansas city. so, the big city is arms distance away. perfect for shopping, concerts, sports etc.
* 30 minutes or so to KCI airport.
* Affordable housing and high quality of life.

My sister still lives in Lawrence, despite the fact she graduated college several years ago. She escaped to the big city (Florida), only to escape back to Lawrence.

Good luck with your decision.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oxford, UK, although if you tell people you live here, they won't believe you
Quote Reply