Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend
Quote | Reply
OK, it appears that Jon Puskas is doing an 8 hour Ultraman prep training ride this Saturday.

The rest of us mere mortals can feel inspired by this to log some miles in whatever sport possible. Most of us can't aspire to do the 8 hours biking in one shot this weekend so here are the rules.

I am trying to create a system that is unrelated to speed, but just time trained that way, anyone of any speed can compete with studs. The goal is to just go easy

So let's say 2 min running = 2 min swimming = 2 min of weights = 3 min XC skiing = 4 min biking = 2 pts

In other words:
  1. running, swim, weights = 60 points per hour
  2. XC skiing = 40 points per hour
  3. cycling = 30 points per hour

The above system is in line with my Boston Marathon virtual running camp that we had last March (1 point per minute of running)

So Puskas will potentially get 240 pts. Let's see what we can pile on over Saturday and Sunday. Can anyone beat him?

Who is in?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump...any takers...we have our own ST dude Puskas thinking of taking on Ultraman...surely we can offer him some moral support :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this actually totally confuses me.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In celebration of some uncharacteristically good December snow in my neck of the woods, I'll go for 250 pts XC Skiing next weekend. Good motivation. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think X-country skiing should be worth more than running. That is one tough sport and one hell of a workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh right...250 pts. That will put you 10 points ahead of Puskas. I can see the smack talk already starting.

I gonna attempt a weekend of 4 hours XC skiiing, 1 hour running, 1 hour trainer, 30 min weights. That would put me at ~250 or more if i can pull it off.

Of course, Puskas will likely do the 8 hour ride plus 2 hour run putting him at 360 pts...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going for 420?

yeah, i could give that a try, if you're counting weight training.
but that's mostly because I'll probably spend 3 hours this weekend just rehabbing my knee.

I think my goal will be 420, fri-sat-sun. Still count?

edit: 240, i'll do that definitely. but i have to say, i think you're valuing the weights too much. (which is why i'll be able to pull this off).
Last edited by: urbanrider: Dec 12, 05 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try to rack up some swimming points, sounds like fun. Will try for 4hrs at least.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the scoring is really not fair to the non-skiers ... XC is too much fun. If there were deductions for natural endorphin use, my score would be negative.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the scoring is great if you are doing a swim set like 30x50 yards on 2 minutes. That way you get credit for a full hour (60 minutes), but 2/3 the time, you are hanging around the wall, recovering and chatting it up with hotties. I think the swimmers should get penalized as they benefit from the "training while almost nude" benefit. At least the XC skiers are bundled up and have snotsickles hanging off their noses, so there is no visual appeal to this form of training...

We need Puskas to respond to the above posted smack...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Saturday/Sunday only, correct?
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...no just Saturday and Sunday. We want to give Puskas moral support for his 8 hour ride, but still give him a chance at victory...bring on the red bull..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any points for playing tennis?
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tennis...hmmm that would be 60 pts per hour, but we'll have to let Puskas decide if that qualifies. If you are playing with Sharapova, then we'll give you 240 pts...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok.... i'll give it a try, just sat-sun.

incidentally, i should be able to run on my own, on a treadmill, for... wait for it... a full mile!

doesn't sound like much, i know, mostly because it isn't. and i walk for half of it, too. but since it'll be the first time i've run outside of PT since blowing out my knee in August, it's quite a feat for me.

oh, and the fri-sat-sun isn't out of laziness, it's because i swim in a university pool that'll be closed weekends until spring semester starts. but, rules are rules, i'll shoot for 240 on sat-sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhm, that seems like an advantageous deal...that would give me 285 points for last weekend, between tennis, run and ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...what...did you play with Sharapova for 1 hour or was it 4 hours with just a regular partner ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, no Sharapova...

2.5 hours tennis: 150 pts

2 hours run: 120 pts

30 min ride: 15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we have to derate by the "playing without Sharapova factor":

2.5 hours tennis: 150 pts
x

0 hours played with Sharapova

=

zero points...
Last edited by: devashish paul: Dec 12, 05 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

zero points...
the correct term is "Love"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allright folks,

It is Friday, so this weekend's training challenge starts tomorrow.

To recap, this is the scoring system, which basically means that it is independent of genetic ability (speed) and is totally related to how many base training hours you can put out. The more minutes trained, the better:
  1. running, swim, weights = 60 points per hour
  2. XC skiing = 40 points per hour
  3. cycling = 30 points per hour

We are in the midst of getting a foot of snow right now, so my goals for the weekend will be:

Sat: 2 hour classic XC ski,

Sun: 4 hour skate ski

which should put me at around 240 pts. If I feel energetic, I might tack on a very slow and easy 60 min run to Sat to get me to 300 pts.

Who else is in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev...Actually, it's just IM South Africa base at this point...The UltraMan stuff starts after CdA in June (with the super support of Ultra-Coach Eileen Steil and my wife Rachel).

Tomorrow's ride is simple: Start at 0800 hrs. Ride to Salem, eat lunch, ride home...Total ride time around 8 hours. BTW, it's gonna be about 29 degrees Fahrenheit at the start and won't clear 39 for the entire ride...Thank goodness for good quality winter gear. I'm praying for dry roads!!!

Sunday will be a ride with my Team...Likely another 4-5 hours.

Then it's off to Maine for Christmas as a week dedicated to running with a little swimming.

No smack talk here...I'll send some positive vibes to you guys and hope you'll send 'em back my way.

I'll post how things go on Monday.

Cheers,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puskas, so you are up for 12+ hours, which will get you to 360 pts....

Good luck man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Sat: 1 hr Run

Sun: 1 hr Bike + 2.5 hr Run

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to Collect Base Miles, Week 1: Join Puskas on the 8 hour Virtual Ultraman training weekend [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should put you at 240 pts!
Quote Reply

Prev Next