Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time to 60-minute IM swim
Quote | Reply
This is a question for people who learned to swim in adulthood. I learned to swim two years ago when I got into tris and it's by far my weakest sport. I am top 5-7% on the bike and around the 50% mark on the swim in the HIM's I've done. Next year is my first full IM.

I just got through with 10-weeks of one-on-one swim coaching and it's resulted in a near 10% improvement in pool speed. My coach told me at this point my technique is good enough that now I just need to focus on yardage, yardage, yardage, which I was happy to hear, since yardage is cheap, coaching is expensive :)

Just out of curiosity, for the people who learned to swim in adulthood, how many years (or yards) did it take you until you were able to hit a 60-minute IM swim? I know it's not within immediate reach for me, but I am just curious if anyone who learned to swim as an adult was able to become an FOP swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to 60-minute IM swim [UrsusAdiposimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lots of yardage and strength are the keys to faster swim times, so i believe.
I started swimming 3 years ago, and I am around 60m IM swim right now, with a 23min 1500meter
I saw lots of improvement especially this year, while i did around 15k/week swimming, and lots of strength in the gym, it works, good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Time to 60-minute IM swim [gooli32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I started swimming 3 years ago, and I am around 60m IM swim right now, with a 23min 1500meter
I saw lots of improvement especially this year, while i did around 15k/week swimming, and lots of strength in the gym, it works, good luck
I am curious, was that 15k/week spread over 4 workouts or 5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't a swimmer growing up. My first IM was IMF 2006 I swam 1:07, I had very little technique coaching before that, and swim with masters 3-4 times a week for 3500-4K each time leading up to the race. My next IM was IMAZ in 2008 and I swam 59 flat . I had some technique coaching but mostly swam consistently for the 18 months. Leading up to IMAZ I swam 4 times a week mostly 4K workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I swam a 1:17 at my first ironman, that was on very minimal swim training, no masters and maybe 1 or 2 swim workouts a week.

I joined a masters group and started swimming 3-4 days a week from november until my race this year and I got that down to 1:01:06 and I felt like I was cruising easy. I would say I was typically swimming 9-12k a week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that would be 4x 3.5-4k each
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gordo, who didn't start swimming until he was in his late 20s, has written that once he broke 60 minutes for the IM swim it took 1 million meters for each minute faster. He got down to 50 minutes flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to 60-minute IM swim [norton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
300-350 hours per minute in 600 to 800-minute iron man? A 300+hour investment for less than a .2 percent increase in speed? Swimming: Not worth it in any way shape or form for employed folk ... Especially those who don't live next door to the pool.
Last edited by: TBinMT: Nov 18, 09 19:29
Quote Reply
Re: Time to 60-minute IM swim [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
300-350 hours per minute in 600 to 800-minute iron man? A 300+hour investment for less than a .2 percent increase in speed? Swimming: Not worth it in any way shape or form for employed folk ... Especially those who don't live next door to the pool.
Of course! Why would we bother training when we can buy speed?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We have to swim too?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my point is that 300 hours to drop a minute in a iron man is a stretch ... Add another 300 hours to your biking or running next year and see how much time that gets you ;-)
(OK, it will probably get you fired and/or injured but you get my point).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to you for working with a coach and finding that technique. We Fish always tell people to do that and I never know if people actually do.

Come play on the swim challenge threads :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Time to 60-minute IM swim [gooli32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Another idea would be to take a month and do a swim focus and swim LOTS. Swim doubles. Swimswimswimswimswim. You will see improvement. Your shoulders will be sore too, but all the swimming will make a big difference.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply