Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time on tri bike vs time on road bike
Quote | Reply
For those of you with both road and tri bikes, what percentage of your time do you spend on each? My bike splits have been a little underwhelming lately even though I've been having great rides on my road bike. I know there are a ton of variables that could impact this, but I'm wondering if only racing on my tri bike is part of the cause. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Time on tri bike vs time on road bike [ThreeWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now it is 80% road, 20% tri and that needs to change to more like 80% tri and 20% road.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having so much fun training with roadies lately and going mountain biking with the same gang on the weekends, I'm spending 90% of my cycling time on my road bike, 10% on my ATB, and 0% on my tri. With sprint tris now being $60/race, I think I might quit doing the short races altogether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my road bike about a dozen rides A YEAR. The rest is on the tri bike. I'm a triathlete, not a roadie.

Get your ass on the tri bike! Specificity!

Formula 1 drivers don't practice in Honda Civics all year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the most part, it depends on what my workout is. I ride 4 times a week and usually split the workouts equally between bikes. My long ride is on my TT bike (2-5 hours) except if its raining or I am in a recovery week. My hill workouts(1.5-2.5 hours) are done on my road bike. This is usually done with a group of roadies and I really need all the help I can get. If I am not riding hills that week, I am doing intervals on my TT bike(1.5 hours). My weekly brick workouts are done on the TT bike (1-2 hours). Finally, recovery rides are always done on my road bike (60 mins). So, I would say that the majority of my rides are on the TT bike if we are looking at duration: 75% TT & 25% road. I am not a slave to the formula. If a it is a team long ride, I ride the road bike. I know that there are others out there that have the philosophy of riding and training on your TT bike. I can appreciate that strategy. I just like to ride all my bikes because each one is unique and such a great ride!

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I group ride three times a week including a long ride on Sundays. Ride the tri bike maybe once a week. I should spend more time on the tri bike but find riding solo kind of uninspiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the "Racing Season" about 1/3 is on my TT bike. The entire off season is on my road bike and hopefully fixed gear this winter.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Time on tri bike vs time on road bike [Horatio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon TT bike 1-2 X week. Road bike with tri bars 3-4X a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend 100% of my time on my road bike. I'm a triathlete interested in faster bike splits, not a roadie!

The only flat spot around here is a parking lot, and road bikes rule here. My road bike floats up hills whereas the tri bike excels on the flats.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Time on tri bike vs time on road bike [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...how do the F-1 guys get to the track and grocery store??

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Time on tri bike vs time on road bike [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team concierge does that stuff.

Do you ride your road bike to the grocery store?
Quote Reply
Re: Time on tri bike vs time on road bike [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beach cruiser! Improves my bike handling ;)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no business giving advice for faster bike splits, so please just consider this one MOPer's approach.

Years ago, Slowman recommended riding the tri bike for only about two weeks before a race, so that's what I normally do. Two weeks is enough to get my neck in shape for the aero position, and the exhilaration of going significantly faster puts my head in a good place for race day.

One exception: When I was training for iron distance, I rode my tri bike on all my long (4+ hour) rides. For me, the aero position is the most comfortable.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sold my road bike because I hadn't ridden it in 2 years. I do all my riding on my Tri bike.
Quote Reply