Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time between work out and icing
Quote | Reply
I posted a while back about icing after each run. I'm keeping up with it and I can definitely tell the recovery difference after long runs.

Is there some technical mumbo jumbo reasons to wait a specific amount of time after running? Common sense says after about 30 min your body temp is getting back to normal, allowing you time to stretch, quick snack to refuel, etc.

How about how long is too long to wait?

btw, I'm not injured, this is just preventive and addressing common running soreness and aches.

I'd like to hear some stuff backed by some people in white coats - or at least a rule of thumb?
Quote Reply
Re: Time between work out and icing [thunderoadie42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My instinct has always been to stretch down and then ice right away. I don't like to wait too long if I can avoid it.

No one told me to do that, it just seemed to make sense.

-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similarly, I hear more and more about elite runners soaking for a while in a tub of cold water post-run...but I don't know exactly when they hop in. Right after the run? Or, like you say, after half an hour or so? Anybody know?
Quote Reply
Re: Time between work out and icing [tri_philly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I posted a question pertaining to post-run soaks before, the vast majority agreed that the sooner you ice or soak, the better. But I also agree that stretching should come first, as you clearly don't want to do that after icing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually wait about 30 minutes after training to ice. I stretch, eat a recovery meal, pound some water, and then Ice.

That way, I can sit on the couch with my ice-packs doing their work.(All while trying to find what channel is playing Mrs. Doubtfire or Silence of the Lambs this week)....
Quote Reply
Re: Time between work out and icing [tri_philly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]similarly, I hear more and more about elite runners soaking for a while in a tub of cold water post-run...but I don't know exactly when they hop in. Right after the run? Or, like you say, after half an hour or so? Anybody know?[/reply]

How cold do you think the water needs to be in order to have the desired effect? I've tried soaking in a tub of "cold" water and never felt like the water was cold enough. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Time between work out and icing [objectiveous] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the sports med guys i know run cold whirlpools at 50 to 55F. Most people's cold tap water isn't cold enough to achieve the desired effects.
Quote Reply