Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time RXS pedal - First ride impressions.
Quote | Reply
Time RXS pedals - First ride.
Went for the first spin on these babies this am and I love them. They are a vast improvement over the Impacts. Entry and exit is much much improved. You get a good and loud click sound when you are clicked in and a similar sound when you are out. I always had trouble getting into the impacts. Would have to wiggle foot around and pull up on them to assure myself that I was really in them.

The float is nice and smooth. I get the feeling that the float will be smoother for longer than is the case with the magnesium bodied Impacts. I think the bodies will be harder wearing. They look fragile but they sure don't feel it. I haven't played with the SET float adjustment yet. At this point I feel no need to - the float feels great on the lowest setting.

The lateral float is now limited to 2.5mm versus the 5mm that was traditional with Time. On the impact you could reduce that to 2.5mm with the consequence that you also narrowed the q factor. Now the q adjustment is on the cleats. Mount them one way and you have a wider stance. Flip the cleats to the other shoe and the q is narrower. Pretty good solution in my book. Just like on the impacts with the 13/17deg release angle option.

The cleats are all new too. What is nice is that there is now some latitude for angular adjustment of how the cleat sits on the shoe. With the impacts, there was no lateral movement afforded, so the orientation of the cleat bolts dictated the orientation of the cleats. Now there is room for the cleat to move at the front, to toe them in or out. The cleat bolt and washer is allowed to float in its slot in the way that Look bolts and spd-sl bolts do. The whole cleat doesn't move left and right - the rear of the cleat is anchored over the cleat bolts - no bolt movement ala Look at the rear. There is latitude to change the angular position of the cleat 5deg either way. A nice new feature.

And to dispell the idea that there is some cleat compatibility between rxs and impact cleats, the british importers are adamant that only the rxs cleat should be used with the new pedal. The differing design of the rear brass cam means that they are NOT compatible enough to provide full functionality. Someone may try it and find it adequate, but it is not intended that way.

The bearings are a little stiff at first. I am hoping that the seals will wear in over time. Also the pedal is pretty well balanced in weight between the front and back of the pedal, so it won't necessarily rest with the back down like the spd-sl and look pedals do.

So a great pedal they are. Give them a try! Those of you thinking of stockpiling the now discontinued Impact pedals shouldn't waste your time and money. Get the new ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Time RXS pedal - First ride impressions. [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice review. I'm anxious to get a pair myself (to replace an ancient set of Speedplays that are all but worn out).

Where did you get yours ... which version did you get ... and how much $$$?

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Time RXS pedal - First ride impressions. [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine (RXS carbon w/ steel axles) from Parker Intl in England for the equivalent of c. $130. I don't think they will ship to the US but Total Cycling do and they have them for a similar price. The ti axled version has only just reached the UK distributor so it might be a week or two until they are available retail.
Quote Reply