Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [2old&2slow] [ In reply to ]

Haha, no stress with the competing brands...I know deep down Rinny wishes she was on a trek ;)

Ben and I are good friends, have spent plenty of time riding the canyons around boulder together...plenty of nights drinking a bottle or two too much of reds too :)

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [mungub50] [ In reply to ]

I think I was around 285 NP for the ride if my memory is correct, I don't look at it during the race though...I just race!

As for staying healthy with Izzy, it is definitely hard. We have a live in nanny which is huge. Avoiding daycare is big plus as that is probably the number one place for kids to pick up germs! We also make sure izzy washes her hands frequently and we take a lot of vitamin C and essentials oils (doterra for the oil gains out there) to help our immune systems.

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]

I do love pro wrestling! Izzy LOVES the Ultimate Warrior and The Macho Man Randy Savage...it drives Rinny insane and I think it is amazing!

As for tag team partners, would have to go with Jan, he is a great guy to have on your side with the swim and bike (Kona!)

Opponents: Cam Wurf (cause his smack talk is entertaining) and probably Sebi (cause he is an awesome competitor)

Afraid to go up against: Lionel (he will literally destroy himself to try and beat you) and Rinny....cause no one wants to get beat by their spouse :)

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [TOinTRI] [ In reply to ]

TOinTRI wrote:
I really think the injury helped my run in Kona this year. Most importantly, it allowed be to up both volume and quality on the bike. In our Kansas camp I was hitting numbers I'd never seen before in training. The extra bike fitness allowed me to ride within myself in Kona this year. While I may have had better run fitness in years past I had always ridden too hard and couldn't access my run ability. When I hit T2 this year it was definitely the best my legs have ever felt in Kona.

The alter G was a huge benefit to my running as well. It allowed me to really train my neuromuscular without the wear and tear of some of those bigger run sessions. It really left my legs fresher then normal. You can't train like that all year (have to do the work at some point) but luckily my run fitness was great prior to the injury so I had some fitness in the bank.

I also noticed my recovery was a lot tougher after running that well with lower run volume, I guess there are trade offs, right!

The question that builds on this that swim+bike threshold to T2 is key to a good IM. It feels like you want to do your run block "way early" and maybe loose a bit of run specificity, to jack up swim + bike but have "enough left" to execute the IM run at the highest "percent" of retained run fitness.

Related to this, in the last 6 weeks what was the rough average breakdown in swim hours, bike hours and run+virtual run hours and would you use the Halter G again in your build to help jack up swim+bike

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

I have a question..1 related to triathalon..2 not related..
First..cobb seat..where did you have your bts bracket made and can I get in touch with them? I just switched to the same seat as I felt it was a better choice after speaking with Cobb & company..
Second..I saw a picture in your house of a zipp disc turned into a clock..I crashed z disc the beginning of this year and wanted to do the same thing
Thanks

Tim,

Thanks for coming on here. Huge fan.

Only 1 question - Could you please win Kona in 2020 and bring the title back to America? I'm sure I'm not alone among team RWB that we would love to see you win. And we'll take the double and have your wife win again.

TOinTRI wrote:
usually 164lbs going into the race...a few lbs extra race morning with water retention from carbo loading. Lightest I've been pre-race was 159lbs...too light for me, that was 2011 and I got sick race week.

To follow up on the weight question. .....

So 164 is your race weight.

How long does it take for you to get there (164) and what is the heaviest you're ok with during the off season?

Thank you for taking the time to hang out here....these are awesome.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

BTW, you can get some really nice bottle cage adapters from Wolf Tooth.
I used one of those to mount my Specialized Virtue aero bottle low enough on my Speed Concept (L) to fill that lower triangle really good.

Fishbum wrote:
Tim, did you guys do any testing in the tunnel with your Crono water bottle moved closer to the bottom bracket?. And who made the plate that allowed you to move the water bottle further down the frame.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: Dec 22, 19 8:31

Thanks for being here!

What are your plans for life after your triathlon career concludes?

Can you tell us a bit about your education in Naval Architecture and Mechanical Engineering? Have you thought about a second career in those fields?

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]

Hey TO,

What are your favorite runs and rides to do when staying in the Noosa area?

Cheers

TOinTRI wrote:
"Don't Give up the Ship" is always in my mind!

As for no Tri bikes, I try to stay off of it in the off season. Cross, mountain, road, anything but the TT bike. We'll be here in Australia for 6 weeks and I actually just brought my road bike with me.
How much time do you spend on an indoor trainer vs. riding outdoors? 50/50? Mostly trainer? Mostly outdoors?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.

Is there a product you continue to use from a previous sponsor because it’s that good? Or simply move on.

Some of wurfs interviews had a wwf vibe to them, I keep waiting for fellow athlete to storm his breakfast with bob holding a folding chair. Also a huge triathlon intercontinental championship title belt would be great over the shoulder in interviews...

TOinTRI wrote:
I do love pro wrestling! Izzy LOVES the Ultimate Warrior and The Macho Man Randy Savage...it drives Rinny insane and I think it is amazing!

As for tag team partners, would have to go with Jan, he is a great guy to have on your side with the swim and bike (Kona!)

Opponents: Cam Wurf (cause his smack talk is entertaining) and probably Sebi (cause he is an awesome competitor)

Afraid to go up against: Lionel (he will literally destroy himself to try and beat you) and Rinny....cause no one wants to get beat by their spouse :)

Tim,

Great race in Kona.
Saw you race a bit in Cozumel. Was that just a punch the ticket from the beginning plan or did you go in not knowing how the body would respond and thinking you might compete for the W?
First of all Ive seen you at several races the days before. Always shy away from saying more than hello as I imagine you get exhausted with people taking energy in race lead up. Does it drive you crazy when strangers try to chat you up?

Also they say with age comes wisdom. As you are older now have you finally realized that Army rules and you should have gone to the USMA instead of Annapolis and served in green not dungarees? :-)

seriously, Thanks for your service and the attention you bring to those of us still serving and trying to do this awesome sport and those who have

TIMMY THE JET!!! you da man sir

1) Can you talk about your training volume? hours biking and running a week? And how often do you go hard in training?

2) Do you know about how much caffeine you take in during a race? total during bike and run if you can estimate?

3) You say you lift heavy twice a week, can you elaborate more on that? Are we talking squats or deadlifts? 5 plates?

4) Is there any trash talking during the race? Like when you, Ali, and Jan are at the front so long, did you turn to Ali and tell him "this isn't short course bro"?

5) Do you think you can beat Kipchoge in a duathlon?

Hi TO,

I have two questions on your treadmills. I use the similar (but probably a lot older) woodway versions and am curious of what you've experienced.

1) How often (if at all) do you make use of the SkillMill resistance feature?

2) Comparing an endurance type run on the SkillMill (no resistance) vs a run at similar heart-rate on the SkillRun ("normal" flat/1% incline), what speed difference do you see between the two treadmills?

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]

Whoa, that Wolf Tooth catalog is pretty great. Check out their pump bag - makes for an incredible bento box. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...gs/products/pump-bag

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [mpeardon] [ In reply to ]

Tom Hopper at specialized made the BTS bracket that goes into my Cobb saddle. He modified a mount that is actually for sale at Colorado Multisport (not sure of the brand)

We actually won that clock at a World Bicycle Relief auction at CMS YEARS ago! Not sure who made it but I imagine you could do it yourself pretty easily.

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]

haha! Ok, I put getting the WIN on my to do list for 2020 :)

Thanks so much for the support!

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]

Last year I was light all year, Coach Dibs was actually mad at me because when you are light early it gets hard to stay healthy and hold it. It wasn't intentional, for some reason my body just didn't want to hold onto the lbs. I've made an effort to put on a few lbs this off season, I don't obsess over weight but I'd imagine I'm around 172 right now. My shirts are a little tight :)

I don't worry about getting dow not race weight too much anymore, when I cut out adult beverages in the final training block leading into Kona it usually comes off by itself!

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]

What's my CdA? Why that's a personal question thank you very much. :)

That's actually a question for Matt Botrill! I haven't tested since we tweaked my position but he is super good at getting it from the data.

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]

That is the million dollar question! To be honest, I believe I can still have a better race in Kona and I don't want to distract from achieving that goal by worrying about post racing. I'd love to stay in the sport to some capacity, not sure what that would look like but I would love to do something focussed on the family side of the sport: how we can blend training, racing and family.

Non-triathlon, I do love real estate, I've been learning about investment strategies as well as syndicates and would love to possibly get involved on the development side.

As for my degrees, my focus was structural (ship design and off-shore rig design) but I think I am too far removed from that world to go back...I'm not sure I'd step foot on a TO designed boat :)

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [oddbudman] [ In reply to ]

I love running through the national park and also running around Noosaville and Tewantin. As for riding, going up the range is great to Maleny and Mapleton.

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]

I'm definitely riding the trainer more and more. I'd say I do more rides on the trainer but more overall hours are outdoors. Usually my tow longer rides are outdoors and the others (shorter more specific) rides on the trainer.

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]

I'm wracking my brain and honestly don't know if there is one! There are things I use that I don't have a sponsor though (saddles, sunglasses, aero helmets)

Prev Next