Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Threshold test on Peloton Bike?
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

I coach high school XC, on of my runners is sidelined due to injury for 3 weeks. He has a Peloton at his house and is able to cross train on the bike. I’ve never used a peloton and don’t know a thing about its platform.

Does he have to do classes or can he do free rides based on power? Is there any kind of threshold test available, or can I create workouts for him like on Perfpro or Zwift?

Just wondering if any of you are able to customize your rides on Peloton?

Thanks so much.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Last edited by: yoe400800: Aug 23, 23 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Threshold test on Peloton Bike? [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't ride our Peloton anymore but my wife does every day and told me the test is in the "power zone" section of the classes listing. It's similar to the 20min test you see other places. Then he can either "free ride" with ihs own session planned out with you telling him what to do or he can select classes that focus on zones, etc. There are a ton of classes to choose form.

To customize a session much like you'd have if a coach uploaded a workout to TP, he would need to manually adjust the red knob based on what resistance/power he wants to hit at various times. It doesn't do it automatically like a smart trainer, etc. He would just do a "just ride" which is much like an open session to do whatever you want.

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Aug 23, 23 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Threshold test on Peloton Bike? [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you Ray.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the power zones section there is a 20 minute test that gets your FTP. Once you do that, then a screen shows up on bottom of peloton with all of your training zones. The workouts in the power zones section are great. I switched to Zwift and a Wahoo Kikr bike. With that said my peloton FTP test was really close to the Kikr bike. Going from dumb trainer to training with power on Peloton and steady dose of their zone 2/zone 3 workouts - they are titled Power Zones endurance workouts - with small does of zone 4/5 workouts - they are titled just Power Zones workout - resulted in me getting much faster as a triathlete than I ever had been before. Peloton is a really great indoor bike. The Power Zones workouts are fantastic. Make sure your athlete does the 10 minute FTP test warmup before he does the 20 minute FTP test. The FTP test is a horrible way to spend 20 minutes but once that is done, you get a screen with all the different zones in them and then you just stick to your zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very welcome! Best of luck to your athlete.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride mine in place of using a trainer. I usually pick my rides based on the music, not the instructor or whatever class they are teaching, or I do a scenic ride and use my own music. regardless, I ride my own workouts. You still get the recording of power, cadence etc so yes, you can do an "external" FTP or threshold ride of your choice, and log the results.
Quote Reply