Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thoughts on weight training [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Wow, the last time I checked ST everyone was arguing about weight training. I see it has not be resolved. I have not looked at the previous pages but here are the reasons I do weights 2-3X per week in the winter.
1) I really enjoy doing weights
2) It's something the wife and I can do together...laughing at all the meat heads getting ready for a big night at the bar on Friday is fun
3) There is snow on the ground and it gets dark very early so weights is something I can do after work.
4) I really enjoy doing weights

T
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on weight training [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of us who can't stand being in an indoor gym, the answer is not so clear. I do have a pretty good outdoor gym though.

Last edited by: FishyJoe: Feb 4, 07 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But to the point, its like a new grad working in the Product Management group hammering on the VP of Marketing who has 25 years in the industry under his belt.

I get the analogy Dev, but if you notice I *never* hammered on "the big 4." I merely wanted more examples. If 99 out of the top 100 did it, it would be a whole different story.

If you want to follow the same analogy, I see it more as being hired for my education and 20 years experience in a related field (running) and then showing up to a brainstorming session and pointing out to a "peer" (in this case NOT Allen but kiwipat) that we shouldn't buy a T3 line for our computer network (lets call that weightlifting) just because 4 of the most successful companies when we only have 3 computers and don't use them enough (will call that time spending SBR).

Dev, I don't know how many elites you hobnob with, but you always seem to elevate them to "untouchable" status. The last time you harshed on me was when I questioned Simon Lessing's intentions for criticising world championships. Believe it or not, they are just people liek you and me. In fact, several years ago when I first met our local elite steeple chaser, HE was honored to meet ME (think Kieth Hernandez meets Jerry Sinefeld.....if you can imgine that).

Your best bet, Dev, would be to try to contact one of these guys and honestly ask him if you should drop 2 runs a week in place of weights.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on weight training [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s/b/r more is certainly what I need to do and that is exactly what lifting allows me to do.....

I took that advice from my ortho who also happens to be a 9 time Boston Marathon qualifier. She told me this after spending 12+ weeks in rehab 3 years in a row. I started lifting again and (knock on wood) haven't been injured. Because of this I have also tripled my s/b/r volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the real consensus is that aside from the Big 4 and perhaps Peter Reid, (combined for 18 Ironman wins and all lift), the rest of us should do more SBR...maybe the starting point is stop wasting so much time on this thread and hit the trainer ?

Hey, I just did that!

I'll give Dr. Tommy's answers here:

I waste time on ST because -

1) I enjoy it.

2) I enjoy it.

; ^ )

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on weight training [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry, I'm not saying drop 2 runs a week to weight train. I'm suggesting that we train our asses off in SBR whenever possible, and supplement that with weight training, or when it is not possible to SBR, like Tom Evans suggests, it provides a nice training alternative.

As for hammering you when you hammer on world champions, well, in this case, its like the Director of Product Management telling the new grad to shut up when he spouts off towards the VP :-). The people I hob nob with are my family and training partners. The world, or Ironman Champions who I've had the pleasure to meet are all gentlemen, unlike the rest of us savages beating up on one another over the internet :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry, I'm not saying drop 2 runs a week to weight train. I'm suggesting that we train our asses off in SBR whenever possible, and supplement that with weight training, or when it is not possible to SBR, like Tom Evans suggests, it provides a nice training alternative.

We can agree on that.

Like I said, I'm no recent grad. I'm just changing careers after 20 years! ; ^ )

And kiwipat is no VP! (no offense to him)....as for the real VPs, they get just as much respect as us Philly guys gave Eric Lindros of the Flyers (we're a tough crowd if you don't know the reputation!)

Enjoy your dead lifts old man ; ^ )

Quote Reply

Prev Next