Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on original Zipp 808s?
Quote | Reply
Have an opportunity to purchase a correct size bike, solid components with original Zipp 808 (non-Firecrest) rim brake wheels. I don't have any interest/need for disc brake and am very happy with my stable of rim brake rides, but wanted to get others' opinions of these wheels for racing/occasional training. The bike is priced well with the Zipps but I am assuming most of the asking price is based on those wheels.

(I am in the minority of people that use Xentis Mark IIs for racing most of the time)

MOP performer, not looking to Kona qualify or anything exceptional anytime soon. Thanks for everyone's opinions!
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they tubular?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clinchers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh so the ones with the aluminum/carbon rim?

If that's the case they're fine wheels for training, I wouldn't consider them worth more than $300-$400 though, so I wouldn't assume they inflate the bike cost too much. Also keep in mind that zipp hubs aren't designed for longevity, at the very least they probably need a bearing replacement and will need one every year if you're riding on them regularly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had them, and loved them, wish I never sold them. Like any wheel with an 80mm rim, you’ll get pushed around a little in windy conditions (first time you experience this will be a little unnerving). Never had an issue but someone offered me $1200 or $1400 and I could’ve used the money then. I ride 60mm now and keep an eye out for 808 clinchers but most around are tubulars. If you buy the bike then PM me and I’ll give you the $300 for those wheels that somebody else posted about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the 404's of the same era and the rear hub required play adjusting every 500km; huge PITA. Went to Mavic's and never looked back
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 25, 23 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are still good fast wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

If that's the case they're fine wheels for training, I wouldn't consider them worth more than $300-$400 though, so I wouldn't assume they inflate the bike cost too much. Also keep in mind that zipp hubs aren't designed for longevity, at the very least they probably need a bearing replacement and will need one every year if you're riding on them regularly

There was also a recall on one of the hubs (front, if I recall). You definitely want to make sure that has the replacement. The recalled one had some catastrophic failure mode which, as you can imagine, was dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(no financial or other connection between us and zipp, just use these wheels, all of which I bought at full price, or used)

Zipp carbon clinchers with the aluminum rims are excellent wheels. They are fast and tough as heck.

Note that there are several generations of these wheels with several different hubs, the most common being wheels with the 182 series and then 188 series hubs. The most recent version did have an important recall issue with the front hub, but these hubs can be (and will be) replaced by zipp at no charge.

Are these rims as aero as the latest and greatest? Likely not, but the difference is very, very small. And the braking advantage of the aluminum rims (especially when combined with outstanding kool-stop salmon replacement brake pads) is enormous and will likely override any tiny aero loses.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes let me clarify: I wasn't trying to scare him away from those wheels. Just make sure they are up to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Yes let me clarify: I wasn't trying to scare him away from those wheels. Just make sure they are up to date.

No worries, I did not take it that way.

I just have a bunch of those wheels (3 sets in our household), so I have had some experience with zipp in replacing the front hubs. It all went well and they covered all the costs. As you correctly point out, this is definitely something a zipp wheel owner should do, as front hub safety is critical.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

There was also a recall on one of the hubs (front, if I recall). You definitely want to make sure that has the replacement. The recalled one had some catastrophic failure mode which, as you can imagine, was dangerous.
I was going to add this... they're great wheels for the right price. Unfortunately I had one of the bad front wheels fail on me at an unoportune time and was laid up for a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on original Zipp 808s? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
spudone wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

I was going to add this... they're great wheels for the right price. Unfortunately I had one of the bad front wheels fail on me at an unoportune time and was laid up for a few months.

The rear hub was also subject to imploding, I had one that disintegrated. Zipp only replaced front hubs though on the recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight everyone! Will chew on all this info for sure.
Quote Reply