Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the puncture resistance like on the ss though? It seems the TC has better puncture resistance so to me, 2-3 watts may be worth giving up for a little extra comfort.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would probably go for it esp for courses with no known high yaw wind.... but i said what wd be probably the fastest
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
What can I expect in terms of durability? I currently use the Zipp Tangente Course 23mm on my Zipp 808 and the Tangente Course 25mm on my Zipp Super 9. I've got the 24mm Turbo Cottons on order but should I be looking at something else?

Thanks!

I raced them the first time at IMAZ 2015. Felt great, and still going strong. They now have several nicks in them from riding over some gravel/salt on the winter roads in Boulder, but I haven't had a flat yet. I have not used the Zipps so can't compare with those specifically.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I raced on a SS 23mm front for 3 or 4 x 70.3s and 1 x 112mi with a few shorter ones in there. No issues.

Last year someone borrowed my wheels that had 2 x TC 24mm and slashed the rear at Raleigh 70.3

So the short answer is: it depends.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any leads on acquiring 24 Turbo Cottons at the moment? Google and EBay coming up empty.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you check your local shop to see when they might be available? I'd call Specialized too. I have no idea when mine will be here

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case, I have 2 for sale for $100 each ;)

One brand new, one with 20 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had to say that didn't you? I'm racing raleigh 70.3 this year.... crap

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wrong forum, move it over fella ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS has 24's and 26's in stock. If you're antsy, I'll pick them up and send 'em to you for my cost. I need to drop by this week anyways.

PM me if you are interested.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found them locally. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many miles are folks putting on the turbo cottons before tossing them? I raced on them last season, 2 70.3s, a full IM, couple olympics, and a sprint. maybe another 100-150 miles of general use as i had no alternative on particular days.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the longer you use any tire, the faster it rolls, but the wider it presents to the wind. Ride 'em longer!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone think that the vittoria corsa speed may be better than the turbo cotton? Same 320 tpi cotton casing, but in a slightly narrower form factor. Unless the graphene compound is slower than specialized, they seem to have enough in common to think that it will have great Crr and better aero from being narrower.
Last edited by: Orbilius: Feb 18, 16 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's in interesting question. Graphene and the new Michelin have yet to be tested independently but if their claims are correct they will be at the top of the charts on par with the best tires, which also makes me think that there is an upper limit

Holy grail I think would be to make an aero turbo cotton or for the Conti engineers to make the GP 4000 S a better rolling tire

Orbilius wrote:
Anyone think that the vittoria corsa speed may be better than the turbo cotton? Same 320 too cotton casing, but in a slightly narrower form factor. Unless the graphene compound is slower than specialized, they seem to have enough in common to think that it will have creat Crr and better aero from being narrower.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericM40-44: Feb 18, 16 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team is sponsored by vittoria, and I have a few corsa speeds on order. Happy to send one off to a forum member for Crr testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people seem to be running a 26 mm tc in the rear. Why the wider tire in the rear? Is it faster than 24 mm? More stable for turning?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wider rear tire: more cushion for the push'n, lower CRR, (generally) better shielded/in turbulent air mitigates some of the CDA penalties of a wider tire. Think discs also mitigate tire size to a decent degree?

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Some people seem to be running a 26 mm tc in the rear. Why the wider tire in the rear? Is it faster than 24 mm? More stable for turning?

Crr-wise, I found it only .0001 faster...so, barely.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two quick OT questions: do you have any thoughts on the Zipp SLSpeed tubular? I would assume the 24mm version is aerodynamically optimized for the firecrest rim, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
stevej wrote:

do you find it curious that a wider tire only rolls that much faster? Is it possible that there's a limit to how fast a tire can roll?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
stevej wrote:

do you find it curious that a wider tire only rolls that much faster? Is it possible that there's a limit to how fast a tire can roll?

Bigger tire at the same inflation pressure will have less deflection, therefore less deformation in the casing.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Two quick OT questions: do you have any thoughts on the Zipp SLSpeed tubular? I would assume the 24mm version is aerodynamically optimized for the firecrest rim, no?

I raced with the SL Speed last season, 24 mm up front on an 808 firecrest, 27 mm in the rear on a Sub 9 disc. They felt fast, but I doubt I could really tell a difference. Two observations, though. First, wet grip was abysmal. They even come with a warning "for use on dry roads only". Went down at 13 mph at Chatt 70.3 on wet roads. Second, I found the handling rather sketchy / unstable. On the same descent one day to the next, I was white-knuckled on the horns with the SL Speed vs. full aero >5 mph faster with a Conti something or other (replaced front only). For those reasons, I'm dumping the SL Speed for this season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
stevej wrote:

I think it just shows that the Crr on that tire is more dominated by the tread (glued on - appears to be same mold, i.e. same width) rather than losses in the casing.

Quote Reply
Re: Those who use S-Works Turbo Cottons for racing [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I have no insight into whether or not that's a good assumption...sorry.

Quote Reply

Prev Next