Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! SWIM IS A GO!
Quote | Reply
Curious to see if/how Ironman will address this:

HUDSON RIVER ADVISORY: AVOID CONTACT WITH THE HUDSON RIVER IN WESTCHESTER FROM CROTON POINT PARK AND POINTS SOUTH Sewage line break in Tarrytown prompts planned discharge
The Westchester County Department of Health is advising people who use the Hudson River waters for recreational purposes, namely swimmers, boaters, kayakers and windsurfers to avoid direct contact with the water from Croton Point Park and points south until further notice. Due to a break in a sewer line in Tarrytown, there is expected to be a controlled discharge of several million gallons of chlorinated raw sewage into the Hudson River at Sleepy Hollow overnight. The treated sewage bypass is needed so that repairs can be made to the sewer line. The sewer line break is also expected to result in chlorinated raw sewage being discharged into the Hudson River at Yonkers.
As a precautionary measure the Health Department is alerting people who use the waters of the Hudson River of the potential that there may be sewage effluent in the river from Croton Point Park and points south during the discharge period. Be advised to curtail your activities, including swimming, boating, kayaking, windsurfing and bathing in these waters until further notice. Notifications are being made to marinas located on the Hudson River as well as to affected municipalities.

@Tridigest @Charlesabrahams
Last edited by: TriDigest: Aug 10, 12 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [TriDigest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the area that we are swimming in the area they say to avoid? I'm not familiar with the Hudson/NYC/NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDigest wrote:
Curious to see if Ironman will address this:

HUDSON RIVER ADVISORY: AVOID CONTACT WITH THE HUDSON RIVER IN WESTCHESTER FROM CROTON POINT PARK AND POINTS SOUTH Sewage line break in Tarrytown prompts planned discharge
The Westchester County Department of Health is advising people who use the Hudson River waters for recreational purposes, namely swimmers, boaters, kayakers and windsurfers to avoid direct contact with the water from Croton Point Park and points south until further notice. Due to a break in a sewer line in Tarrytown, there is expected to be a controlled discharge of several million gallons of chlorinated raw sewage into the Hudson River at Sleepy Hollow overnight. The treated sewage bypass is needed so that repairs can be made to the sewer line. The sewer line break is also expected to result in chlorinated raw sewage being discharged into the Hudson River at Yonkers.
As a precautionary measure the Health Department is alerting people who use the waters of the Hudson River of the potential that there may be sewage effluent in the river from Croton Point Park and points south during the discharge period. Be advised to curtail your activities, including swimming, boating, kayaking, windsurfing and bathing in these waters until further notice. Notifications are being made to marinas located on the Hudson River as well as to affected municipalities.

Yonkers will only be less than a mile or so from the start of the swim
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and what is the discharge period? I doubt it will be 6-10 AM Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh shit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hudson is a tidal estuary. It "flushes" itself (pun intended) 2x a day, every day. It should be back to normal in a day or 2.

For the SopranoMan participants, I certainly hope so.

(I think the heat/humidity are going to be much more legit concerns than the water quality, or lack thereof. If it's anything like today was, whoa nelly, is it gonna be a loooong day for a lotta folks)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I am sorry to the folks racing this course, but this just gets funnier and funnier....

Too bad too. A true NYC Ironman would be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dont worry there will be gaggles of AG'ers blaming their upset stomachs on the Hudson :0)

Quote | Reply
I forwarded this to the medical director and here is his response:

Thank you VERY much for forwarding this. We will follow up with the NYC DEP
folks in the morning. The water test today was excellent but this may change
things a bit although it is chlorinated.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be one of the physicians in the finish line medical tent - I have to look out for you all :)
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article indicates the discharge of several million gallons will be tonight in Tarrytown (which is around 8 or so miles from the start.)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Murphy'sLaw [ In reply to ]
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Oh dont worry there will be gaggles of AG'ers blaming their upset stomachs on the Hudson :0)

At least it will take away from blaming the Perform.

Brett Miller
Cydesdale Triathlon
M2 Revolution
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [deacon42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI. The original news release from the Westchester County Department of Health can be found here:

http://health.westchestergov.com/...discharge-hudson.pdf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, although i will be volunteering, i will NOT be doing this race in the future. anyone want my volunteer bracelet?
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, although i will be volunteering, i will NOT be doing this race in the future. anyone want my volunteer bracelet?

it is your wristband and you can do anything you want to do with it but advertising it here in such a manner may steer some displeasure with the people who did not volunteer and want to sign up but may not get in due to the event selling out before they get a chance.....I know this is ST not BT but being mindfull/fair aint a bad thing sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole wrote:

it is your wristband and you can do anything you want to do with it but advertising it here in such a manner may steer some displeasure with the people who did not volunteer and want to sign up but may not get in due to the event selling out before they get a chance.....I know this is ST not BT but being mindfull/fair aint a bad thing sometimes.

I was being sarcastic, but after this event, I'm pretty much done with Korff Enterprises. They can ban me I they want. They aren't my mom = I don't care!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to top that off......crazy storms with heavy downpours Friday will have all kinds of run off going into the Hudson.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has done NYC Triathlon (Olympic Distance) four years and each year was sick for a few weeks afterwards. This was when the Hudson was supposed to be CLEAN, without any recent dump of sewage. Not mentioned here is the necessary sewage dump in Yonkers. I would be very circumspect regarding getting in that water anytime soon. The company putting this on has never been forthcoming about water conditions in prior Tri's in NYC (stinging jellyfish, water temp, etc) so independent verification of any health analysis from them is necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [tribike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole - It's not a new practice to trade/give away the ability to sign up as a volunteer, and I've never heard anyone complain about the practice until now. Maybe you should have volunteered? Or prepare to pony up for a foundation slot?

tribike - I've swam in the Hudson 3 times so far this year, with no ill effect. One of those times was during fleet week with a pretty good chop, and I swallowed a good bit of water...I also ate the free food at the end of the race...still, all is good. And why is it Korff's job to do a google search for you? The animals that are in the Hudson, the tides, the temperature, etc. are all public knowledge and readily available (that being said, I dislike Korff and if ever there is an alternative...I'll take it).

ALL - Someone posted on the IM US Championship Facebook page that their friend, who was volunteering as a stand up paddle boarder, received instruction not to come.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Aug 9, 12 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman New York City-Thank a Volunteer, and Go Fu!k Yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
ALL - Someone posted on the IM US Championship Facebook page that their friend, who was volunteering as a stand up paddle boarder, received instruction not to come.

Many different posts/topics about this concern on the FB page. The only official response I can see is:

Ironman U.S. Championship - Kurt Harsley "We also organize the NYC Triathlon. Safety is our #1 priority. We have never and would never put athletes in unclean or unsafe conditions. We are monitoring this closely."
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Aug 9, 12 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole - It's not a new practice to trade/give away the ability to sign up as a volunteer, and I've never heard anyone complain about the practice until now. Maybe you should have volunteered? Or prepare to pony up for a foundation slot?

You better check yo self before you wreck yo self kiddo....LINK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOLLY CRAP!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next