Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [peterot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:
You know I was kicking myself for not referencing that. In addition to the health hazards it is the most expensive IM out there.

The $300 extra in the entry fee ($700 vs $1000) is just a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to do an Ironman.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [tripadigin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripadigin wrote:
Had this IM at the top of my list to race, but it has now dropped to #2.

Not racing. Shitting all over other peoples events is petty. You seem to define that.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if its been noted but HITS is offering a free race entry to Hunter Mtn for any IMNYC athletes who don't want to race because of the water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just pointing out some well known facts about NYC and then posed a question about the appeal of the event. I dont get it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:
I am just pointing out some well known facts about NYC and then posed a question about the appeal of the event. I dont get it?

I generally agree with you that I don't get the appeal of NYC triathlons, but I also can see the appeal of them for some - being in a big city and all. For me the logistics are actually tougher then say upstate NY, where you can just pack the SUV and drive - stay in a quaint B&B. For NYC, where do you park, stay, observe racers, etc. So many people and very chaotic.

The NYC triathlon for example is a nightmare if you aren't in the front of the pack. Hard to pass on the bike and the current was so strong in the swimmer, people were probably doing 1:20 min 100's on their back.

Turds never make a race enjoyable but I imagine we are blowing the turd problem way out of portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:

So, they should cancel the NYC marathon, and all other outdoor events in NYC too? Since it's such a polluted cesspool and all?
How does anybody do anything outside here?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:

There has been, and will be the same type of thread when IMLT happens next year. The water is too cold. The altitude is too high. The hills are too hard. You cannot pre-ride
the section through private property. The roads are not perfect. There are too many folks. It is a 2 loop swim. It is a 2 loop bike. It cost too much. There are 4 night minimums on some of
the hotels. There just be some type of bug or animal in the water that will kill us all. The weather is going to snow on us. The run course is too easy. Did I miss anything?

But, I have to be honest, where I race, 99.9% of the time, water quality is not an issue. (They did have to cancel a few races in the San Jose Swim hole because of water quality, but I expect that site
will not longer be used in the future.) I cannot imagine thinking about a swim with snakes, alligators, sewage, condoms, etc. We are lucky here.

I know a lot have trained hard and I hope the swim happens and everyone has a great, safe race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:

I am actually here visiting family in Greenwich CT and went down to the expo today to see the folks at Zoot who have been a wonderful sponsor for me since 2008, your comment not withstanding. I used to work in NYC back in the 1990's. I would agree that back in the '70's and '80's when I grew up on this area, but where the swim is a far cry from the kind of pollution you get in the East River, for example. We can argue as to the location really being in NYC, clearly it is not, but given the logistical challenge presented, they did a fine job.

My issue with your post and others here and in other threads us it serves no purpose other then to self aggrandize those who suffer from "I told you so" disorder and belittle others who wanted to do an IM that may have been geographically and seasonally desireable. Surley you can see that comment was really obnoxious and I say do not even having a dog in this fight.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Aug 9, 12 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [jamesgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamesgoldstein wrote:
Just watched the news and NY DEP said they don't see it affecting the race. It's too far north and the current flows north.

When it comes to triathlon, they always seem to find a way to say that the Hudson is clean. When you come out of the water with a big turd on your forehead, they'll tell you it's a Hudson River Brown Trout.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
peterot wrote:

So, they should cancel the NYC marathon, and all other outdoor events in NYC too? Since it's such a polluted cesspool and all?
How does anybody do anything outside here?

Take a look at what air pollution in NYC is like in August compared with November (i think this is when the marathon occurs). Oh, I guess you forgot that an ironman has a swim and bike before marathon. Oh, and the swim is in the Hudson River.

http://www.nyc.gov/...-report-summer09.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
admittedly I dont know the site of the swim related to sewage incident. All I know is the Hudson River and much of the watershed has a scary history and NYC can have very poor air quality particularly in summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:
admittedly I dont know the site of the swim related to sewage incident. All I know is the Hudson River and much of the watershed has a scary history and NYC can have very poor air quality particularly in summer.

That's fair. Certainly today had an air quality advisory due to the humidity which traps a lot of the pollution particulate close to the ground when there is little wind. But 95% of this race takes place north of the city. Anytime you stage an endurance event beer a large city during the summer this is an issue. But fuck it, it's an Ironman, it's supposed to be hard.

In regards to the water the Hudson is a pretty clean river now a days, but this unexpected sewage repair is very much an issue.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Aug 9, 12 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hudson river is fine. Maybe not at this very second, but in general, the water quality is fine.

Back when I used to swim, I'd swim in the Hudson 1-2x a week, from May - Sept. Never got sick once.
Frankly, I've had more health issues from swimming at the Y, than I ever had from the river.

But you keep it up with your unfounded hyperbole!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Everything will be fine. Didn't anyone see Shawshank Redemption?

FTW. Excellent reference!
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [TriDigest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua-drat!
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if this was posted but the HITS series in September at Hunter Mtn just offered free entry to the Irondistance race if you don't race in Ironman NYC because of the water. if you are local its a pretty nice option
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [eappel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This piece:

http://pleasantville.patch.com/articles/sewage-update-still-flowing-into-hudson-b5dc9a7c

seems to also think it won't affect the race
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [Breomonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breomonkey wrote:
Might have picked the wrong color for the shirt, but hey embrace it and don't swallow........

I

I just spewed on the keyboard!!

I'd like to throw in a vote for this as "Picture of the Week."

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [jmim2006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC Environmental Quality really is pretty good

Ozone nonatainment is worse everywhere in the US during the summer months.

Take a look at the 10 worst cities for air pollution...
Is NYC on the list? NO!
Is San Diego? YES! (don't mean to put down SD, but it is the sport's epicenter)
http://content.usatoday.com/...tiest-cleanest-air/1

Aside from this sewage spill, water quality in the Hudson has not been an issue. Water sports have been thriving in the Hudson. There are many open water races held in and around Manhattan every year, and Kayaking has taken off. Water quality testing is conducted routinely.
When stormwater overloads the sewage system, beaches are closed, just like they are everywhere in the US.

Quit flaming and keep training!
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [JumpStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JumpStart wrote:
NYC Environmental Quality really is pretty good

Ozone nonatainment is worse everywhere in the US during the summer months.

Take a look at the 10 worst cities for air pollution...
Is NYC on the list? NO!
Is San Diego? YES! (don't mean to put down SD, but it is the sport's epicenter)
http://content.usatoday.com/...tiest-cleanest-air/1

Aside from this sewage spill, water quality in the Hudson has not been an issue. Water sports have been thriving in the Hudson. There are many open water races held in and around Manhattan every year, and Kayaking has taken off. Water quality testing is conducted routinely.
When stormwater overloads the sewage system, beaches are closed, just like they are everywhere in the US.

Quit flaming and keep training!

Luckily the lakes and rivers around me seldom have issues.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterot wrote:

I think you pretty summed up everything you admittedly don't know.

I hate to break to you buddy, air quality is just fine around here compared to other areas in the country. Also, the Hudson is relatively clean compared to other bodies of water. For everyone ripping on the race saying "i told you so!" there was no way to predict that they would need to conduct a controlled sewage release, also note that this sewage had already been treated. The alternatives were probably tens of thousands of people houses backing up or something similarly gross.

Between the storms coming in and the tides I wouldnt be surprised if everything was just fine by race day. See you all racing at exit 3 on the bike course, I'll be volunteering...have a great race!

Quote | Reply
What I dont understand is, if it was a controlled release, why couldnt organizers ask for it to be slightly delayed?

Its called spin. A sewage line broke, assuming NY is similar to sewage plants I'm more familiar with they only have storage so big before they have to release.

Styrrell
Last edited by: styrrell: Aug 9, 12 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Those Racing IMNYC this weekend read this!!! [MarkyMark80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyMark80 wrote:
peterot wrote:

I think you pretty summed up everything you admittedly don't know.

I hate to break to you buddy, air quality is just fine around here compared to other areas in the country. Also, the Hudson is relatively clean compared to other bodies of water. For everyone ripping on the race saying "i told you so!" there was no way to predict that they would need to conduct a controlled sewage release, also note that this sewage had already been treated. The alternatives were probably tens of thousands of people houses backing up or something similarly gross.

Between the storms coming in and the tides I wouldnt be surprised if everything was just fine by race day. See you all racing at exit 3 on the bike course, I'll be volunteering...have a great race!

Controlled....what a joke...you are funny
Quote Reply

Prev Next