Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is a "what if" question.
Quote | Reply
Sitting in my garage is my race car. It takes up money and space. I have decided that if I do not get out more than a couple of times this year, I will sell it in the fall. If this happens I will take some of the money and buy a new bike.

Here is the question. What type/manufacturer to buy. I'm 5'10" with a very short (31") inseam, all my height is in my upper body. I am a clyde, no doubt about it. I have had two discs removed and have two more herniated so a really deep aero position is out. I don't want to spend more than about $2,500 Can. I would not be averse to used bikes if the right one was indeed, the right one. Being as I'm getting into this game a little late and am no threat to anybodies Kona slot, I'm not really fussy if the bike is a roadie or a tri. More important is the fit for my body type so I'll actually want to ride it.

I always laugh when I see "What kind of bike should I buy?" with no other info so I've tried to give the pertinent stuff but feel free to ask if more info is required to make an informed recomendation.

Suggestions?

Thanks

J
Quote Reply
Re: This is a "what if" question. [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess you'll actually want to lean more towards a touring bike.
Litespeeds got a nice titanium one (the name escapes me at the moment.)
Other contenders would be the new Giant OCR Carbon or the Trek Pilot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softride or titan flex ... prolly the titan as it'll take more lb's
Quote Reply
Re: This is a "what if" question. [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always the short legged stuff that kills me. Any idea if any of these fits my body type? The soft ride is certainly on my radar but price wise they may be a little out of reach. I don't know much about the titan. The litespeed is beautiful but likely out of the price range as well.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd contact Tom @ TitanFlex and ask about a trial bike - I understand he's done that before if there were no TF owners in the area willing to let you test theirs (and I don't believe that there are in Van).

I took a long hard look at TF before I bought my Yaqui. I had some worries wrt fit, which is the main reason why I went with the Yaqui, but you are closer to Tom's size than I - so I think your potential for weird issues would be far less.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my g.f. rides one, and it's really quite adjustable ... the seat slides for and aft on the beam, and the beam pivots up and down, so you can get fit in a million ways ... got hers for $1050 USD (new, old stock), with full ultegra ... so there are deals out there to be had. only issue is that there are weight limits on the carbon fiber beam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll want the same thing in a bike you want in a race car. Light weight, a stiff frame (but like a kart the frame and fork double as the suspension), and a comfortable and efficient driving position. Like a car, the basic geometry will affect how it handles and the controls and accessories are as much a part of the overall feel and quality as the basic chassis.

No matter what you buy, bikes are just a rolling chassis. You have to provide your own engine ;-). Since you are the engine as well as about 90% of the overall weight, how you mate with the bike is very important to how the overall package performs. Fit is key.
Quote Reply
Re: This is a "what if" question. [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Titan may be the way to go. I think you can get different beams for different weights can't you, or is that just the Softride? It certainly looks very adjustable. Funny, I looked at it in the Triathlete mags buyers guide and originally dismissed it but now that I've had a second look...

J
Quote Reply