Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thinking of trying Hoka
Quote | Reply
What you recommend for a starter Hoka shoe? I have been using a rotation of On Running, Skechers GoRun and Nike and I am looking to try a Hoka that isn't excessively cushioned with no more than 8mm drop hopefully for tempo runs. I have no problem buying an older model. Any recommendations?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Rincon, I think it's 5mm? It's also a little cheaper than some of their other models, so while I've read people don't think it last as long as some, it can also be found for around $100. I used to wear the Clifton but I prefer the Rincon now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in the Cavu's for a couple years now and like them. They're less cushioned than many of the other Hoka's so you may want to take a look at those. I'm looking for something with a bit more cushioning so I"m planning to give the RIncon a try next.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they fit true to size?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say yes, I get the same size I buy for most brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved from Asics Nimbus to Clifton for training and Rincon for racing.

Personally, I find the change really natural however the Rincon is half a size bigger than the Clifton!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rolled the dice with the Hoka Gaviotas and lost. They felt good in the running shop. I even ran in them for a few minutes on their treadmill. There's nothing like a road test and they just don't work for me so I use them on my maintenance runs. It was an expensive gamble and makes me apprehensive to try new running shoes.
Last edited by: Alex M: Mar 20, 20 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
txtyree wrote:
I like the Rincon, I think it's 5mm? It's also a little cheaper than some of their other models, so while I've read people don't think it last as long as some, it can also be found for around $100. I used to wear the Clifton but I prefer the Rincon now.

May I ask what you prefer with the Rincon over the Clifton? Clifton's were actually going to be my next shoe purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [KaliTom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t used the latest Cliftons but compared to the ones I had I like the softer upper and the Rincón is overall more comfortable to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KaliTom wrote:
txtyree wrote:

May I ask what you prefer with the Rincon over the Clifton? Clifton's were actually going to be my next shoe purchase.

the rincon is fine. as a race shoe. i don't think we'll be racing anytime soon. the clifton is much more capable as a trainer, and the elevon 2 or the original bondi b reissue are my 2 everyday trainers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KaliTom wrote:
txtyree wrote:

Rincon is much better. I think Rincon is one of the best shoes they got. Really light and comfortable. They are true to the size for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KaliTom wrote:
txtyree wrote:

I currently have...

Rincon 1 Fast Tempo Day
Clifton 6 Medium speed runner
Bondi B Re-issue Slow Mondays
Mach 1 Track and Intervals
Carbon Rocket race shoe

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually run in Altra, and for tempo runs I have a pair of carbon rocket, really like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who otherwise runs in shoes like Glycerins and Nimbuses, but also really likes Bondis and Challengers, I find the drop #s for Hoka a bit misleading. To me, for one reason or another, the Hokas run as if they had a lot more drop than the stats indicate. I don't think I've ever liked another shoe that lists as little drop as the Hokas have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the blue/yellow clayton 2 because I liked the colors and it was half price. If you get any older version definately get a size bigger because they shrink slowly over time. I usually wear a 46-7 but the 47 2/3 was perfect

The feel was closer to a regular shoe than I expected. Only a little bit ploffy the first couple of runs until your stride adjusts. They feel super comfortable and light not bulky as i was expecting... More like highspeed cruisers than barebone racers

The sole looks thick from the side but your foot is cradled so its not super high and still flexible. The feel rather comes from extra width which gives the extra contact surface area. You can just run without thinking about how your foot is articulating with the tarmac. I train at 4 to 4.5 minute kms and these definately made it more fun and less sore legs next day
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
KaliTom wrote:
txtyree wrote:

Rincon is much better. I think Rincon is one of the best shoes they got. Really light and comfortable. They are true to the size for me.

Which Clifton? Because that matters a lot. The original up through the 3 was an amazing shoe. Then they screwed up the 4 & 5, but the 6 is supposed to be back to what a Clifton should be.

I have the Rincon and like it ok, but it’s not near as squishy as a good Clifton. Clifton has the perfect balance of squish and responsiveness.

If someone wants to try Hoka I’d recommend the Clifton 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There really is no point to try a Hoka that isn’t excessively cushioned. To expand their business Hoka One One had to branch out into shoes that compete with what I call the middle of the shoe wall. You walk into a running store, the shoes in the middle from top to bottom and side to side are the best selling shoes in the world. The shoes at the top or on the sides are there to satisfy all runners but their sell through (volume) is much lower than the shoes in the middle of the wall.

All that said, there is only one shoe you should try to start out. In the work I do it’s the one shoe that stands above all other Hoka One One shoes and it is actually moving closer to the middle of the wall every day, the Clifton. Like any shoe you’ll find on this forum a favorite model year of the Clifton. The Clifton has created it’s own place and for good reason.
1. It’s light - It’s the shoe that blows away what light is. Look at it and visually it looks “Heavy” pick it up and you’ll be blown away by the weight.
2. It’s balanced - The platform is really well designed from the beginning.
3. It’s got the perfect blend of Hoka One One DNA - High sidewalls to keep your foot centered, a rocker that allows you to tap away at 85-90 rpms easily, Maximal cushion in a lightweight package.

I’m not saying the other shoes from Hoka One One aren’t worth trying, they are. There is no point trying any of them before you try the Clifton.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok 5/6 or doesn't matter just try it to see if I like it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it matters. You’ll surely get opinions on the forum but more than likely they’ll be evenly split. I’d go with the one on sale!

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the Rincon over the Clifton. The Rincon has a little firmer cushion than the Clifton and the upper is softer. My Cliftons seem a little too cushioned. The ramp on the front of the Rincon is a little more aggressive so you get up on your toes quicker. The Rincon is a faster shoe in my opinion with more than sufficient cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from never having run in Hokas, to having 4 pairs and only running in Hokas over the course of about 5 weeks. In terms of shoe purchase and use, I typically just buy and try when I find something on clearance or am able to get a screaming deal. I had a rotation that included various shoes from Saucony, Brooks, Asics, Zoot and others. I have always try to have a shoe rotation to mix things up, and not get too dependent on a certain model/brand/type and that approach seems to help minimize injuries. I have several pairs of shoes that I tried out for a few runs, didn't work out, and I end up just kicking around in them.

In late December, I used some Christmas gift money to buy some Cliftons. I thought they were fairly cushy yet stable, but were a little on the heavy side. I thought I'd slip them into the rotation, but I wasn't a total Hoka convert yet.

A few weeks later, I decided to try the Carbon X, and bought a pair about a week before a half marathon I was going to do. I did a couple of short runs in them ahead of the race, and really liked them. Much lighter than the Clifton, but stable and super responsive.

At the race expo, one of the vendors had a table of "gently used" shoes for over 50% off. I found pairs of both the Mach 2 and Rincon in my size.

I had a great race (for me) in the Carbon X's and have decided to save them for races and occasional training.

The Mach 2 to me, doesn't really feel like a Hoka, but more like a lightweight trainer you could get from Saucony or Asics.

The shoe that converted me was the Rincon.

I absolutely love that shoe. You know how when people ask if they should get a new bike, and the answer is maybe if you're excited about it and you'll ride more?

That's the way i feel about the Rincon. I look forward to runs when I wear the Rincon. I haven't had a "favorite" shoe in years, but I now do in the Rincon. They are light, cushioned, stable. I feel I can push when I want to. After longer runs, I don't feel as beat up as I would with less cushoined shoes.

So I'm currently rotating the Rincon, Clifton and Mach 2, with the occasional run in another brand.

I'm officially a Hoka convert.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
I prefer the Rincon over the Clifton. The Rincon has a little firmer cushion than the Clifton and the upper is softer. My Cliftons seem a little too cushioned. The ramp on the front of the Rincon is a little more aggressive so you get up on your toes quicker. The Rincon is a faster shoe in my opinion with more than sufficient cushioning.

I'd agree with all of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking of trying Hoka [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
There really is no point to try a Hoka that isn’t excessively cushioned. To expand their business Hoka One One had to branch out into shoes that compete with what I call the middle of the shoe wall. You walk into a running store, the shoes in the middle from top to bottom and side to side are the best selling shoes in the world. The shoes at the top or on the sides are there to satisfy all runners but their sell through (volume) is much lower than the shoes in the middle of the wall.

All that said, there is only one shoe you should try to start out. In the work I do it’s the one shoe that stands above all other Hoka One One shoes and it is actually moving closer to the middle of the wall every day, the Clifton. Like any shoe you’ll find on this forum a favorite model year of the Clifton. The Clifton has created it’s own place and for good reason.
1. It’s light - It’s the shoe that blows away what light is. Look at it and visually it looks “Heavy” pick it up and you’ll be blown away by the weight.
2. It’s balanced - The platform is really well designed from the beginning.
3. It’s got the perfect blend of Hoka One One DNA - High sidewalls to keep your foot centered, a rocker that allows you to tap away at 85-90 rpms easily, Maximal cushion in a lightweight package.

I’m not saying the other shoes from Hoka One One aren’t worth trying, they are. There is no point trying any of them before you try the Clifton.

Kind of randomly my first Hoka was the Mach 2. Just decided to try it, I was running in the Kinvara 8 mostly at that point. Then I got kit by a car and bought the Bondi 6 for when I was finally able to start running again.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next