Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert,

Thanks for the write up. Do you know the crank length?

Thanks,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be added, as will frame size and his height and weight.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
46-40 little gear for the nasty pitches typifies what a beast he is.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
46-40 little gear for the nasty pitches typifies what a beast he is.

heard you rode a 28?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a picture somewhere (and can't find it now) showing his Wahoo with a power reading in the 270's - regardless if it's AP or NP but that's nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude is a beast and has carved out a nice non-traditional "professional cyclist" career for himself. Very happy for him.

And yes his wahoo said he pushed 273AP for nearly 10 hours. (it also said his max power was 1999, so maybe some bad data in there though).
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My smallest gear on my gravel bike with 2 chainrings is 34-28 :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proof that aero always matters, even offroad. 20mph avg, that's just sick.

Not a fan of the elevated chainstay, but aesthetics are always a personal thing.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rides4beer wrote:
Proof that aero always matters, even offroad. 20mph avg, that's just sick.

Not a fan of the elevated chainstay, but aesthetics are always a personal thing.

That's insane....I did a 50 mile gravel "ride" and our front group of around 8 average 20mph and it felt like my eyes were bleeding at times trying to stay in the group. Couldn't imaging doing that 3X....
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode right into CP2 at mile 150 and into a chair that I didn’t get out of! Heat is my kryptonite.

Colin lives in Austin and logged some big weeks in hot conditions. I’m sure he died a 1000 deaths but in that day he also seemed to deal with conditions the best. It was a little bit like Kona in that way.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Rode right into CP2 at mile 150 and into a chair that I didn’t get out of! Heat is my kryptonite.

Colin lives in Austin and logged some big weeks in hot conditions. I’m sure he died a 1000 deaths but in that day he also seemed to deal with conditions the best. It was a little bit like Kona in that way.

Carl: Do you still live in Napa? Where do you find much gravel to train and ride on around North Bay (I live in Windsor)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/colinatx/

From his two posts,

"The dust has settled on Dirty Kanza 2019, and I can now piece the experience into a narrative for you all. I prepared for race day with 3 weeks of my heaviest training to date. The night before race day, my mind was racing with excitement and I didn’t get much rest.The first 20 miles the massive group rolled with a moderate-intensity, allowing me to meet & greet my favorite pros, and enjoy a beautiful sunrise moment with @tjeisenhart. So many wonderful humans/athletes were in attendance. Things got spicy around mi 25, and the group began to reduce down over the next 60 mi of rugged ups and downs.
At about mi 80, I hit a small shard of metal and punctured my rear tire. Luckily, I was able to plug the hole, and the @orangesealed went to work and sealed the leak for the remainder of the race. I spend the next 20 min in full TT mode, as the lead group was still 20 riders strong and moving very swiftly. We can address the use of aerobars at another time.
Up to this point in the day, my legs did not feel good. I had not ridden Friday, and the legs felt heavy, and easily stymied. The hard chase back to the group brought my legs back to life, and gave me a touch of confidence. Then came “Little Egypt”. A set of short, but extremely steep and rugged hills and valleys at approx mi 95. My legs were now feeling frisky, and my brain was starting to forget the plan of “patience, patience, patience. Don’t do anything stupid”. @lachlanmorton was peppering a few mild attacks in the mix. I took a dig up a jarring Little Egypt climb, and sensed that some strong hesitation. I was not forcing the issue, and the group of 10 leaders brought me back. At this point, that group contained @iamtedking, @alex_howes, @lachlanmorton, @pstetina , @paysonmcelveen @ericdmarcotte , @joshuaraspberry, @noahgranigan and 2 others. My teammate Kevin had crashed out long ago so I knew I was on my own today.
When my turn to the front came up on a short climb around mi 105, I decided to stir the pot. I put in a dig, and the group let me roll. Going over the top of the climb with a 5 sec gap, I decided “**** it. here goes nothing”.

"DK200 race report 2/2: I started putting power down while monitoring the reaction from the group, but there was no reaction. At that point I committed to 105 mi of running, with nowhere to hide.
I had done my homework and I knew that the winds would be shifting from WSW to WNW throughout the day, and increasing. This meant that I had roughly 30 miles of headwind on the course, then 70 mi of primarily tailwind. This knowledge was key to give me the confidence for this move.
I kept an eye behind me on the long rollers and grew the gap to several minutes without much reaction from the chasers. I realized that I had a bout 5-6 hours our riding tempo ahead of me. I tried my best to stay focused on eating, drinking taking the smoothest line possible across the course, as those details are what add up in these events.
I passed through the 2nd and 3rd aid stations alone and well out of sight. I turned into the glorious shifting WNW tailwind with 60 mi remaining and felt a strong moral boost. I received no time splits the entire race, so I just rode at my absolute limit till the end. Sharp cramps hit both quads around 20 mi to go, so I downed the remainder of my @skratchlabs water solution and pulled off the power a bit until they subsided. This same moment, I heard a rear puncture. Sure enough, I had picked up a large barn nail in my rear tire and was losing air. I pulled the nail out, rotated the puncture to the lowest point, and @orangesealed did the rest, sealing the tire w/out adding air. Back on the road.
I stayed on the gas the entire race, not knowing who or how many chasers were hunting me. I did know that they were top notch riders, and I could not mess about in the final miles. I was very sure not to have any mental celebration until I walked across the timing corral with that sweet @alliedcycleworks machine over my head. In order to win, you have to risk losing, and DK200 was a testament to that.
Thank you to the @dirtykanza event family that produces this incredible race, thanks to the world-class riders who participated, and thank you to our top-class equipment partners that made the gear that could handle this punishing race. #metxgioridesthebest"

Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean x4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size tires did Colin run?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the elevated chainstay.
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [c.mont.811] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c.mont.811 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/colinatx/

From his two posts,

"The dust has settled on Dirty Kanza 2019, and I can now piece the experience into a narrative for you all. I prepared for race day with 3 weeks of my heaviest training to date. The night before race day, my mind was racing with excitement and I didn’t get much rest.The first 20 miles the massive group rolled with a moderate-intensity, allowing me to meet & greet my favorite pros, and enjoy a beautiful sunrise moment with @tjeisenhart. So many wonderful humans/athletes were in attendance. Things got spicy around mi 25, and the group began to reduce down over the next 60 mi of rugged ups and downs.
At about mi 80, I hit a small shard of metal and punctured my rear tire. Luckily, I was able to plug the hole, and the @orangesealed went to work and sealed the leak for the remainder of the race. I spend the next 20 min in full TT mode, as the lead group was still 20 riders strong and moving very swiftly. We can address the use of aerobars at another time.
Up to this point in the day, my legs did not feel good. I had not ridden Friday, and the legs felt heavy, and easily stymied. The hard chase back to the group brought my legs back to life, and gave me a touch of confidence. Then came “Little Egypt”. A set of short, but extremely steep and rugged hills and valleys at approx mi 95. My legs were now feeling frisky, and my brain was starting to forget the plan of “patience, patience, patience. Don’t do anything stupid”. @lachlanmorton was peppering a few mild attacks in the mix. I took a dig up a jarring Little Egypt climb, and sensed that some strong hesitation. I was not forcing the issue, and the group of 10 leaders brought me back. At this point, that group contained @iamtedking, @alex_howes, @lachlanmorton, @pstetina , @paysonmcelveen @ericdmarcotte , @joshuaraspberry, @noahgranigan and 2 others. My teammate Kevin had crashed out long ago so I knew I was on my own today.
When my turn to the front came up on a short climb around mi 105, I decided to stir the pot. I put in a dig, and the group let me roll. Going over the top of the climb with a 5 sec gap, I decided “**** it. here goes nothing”.

"DK200 race report 2/2: I started putting power down while monitoring the reaction from the group, but there was no reaction. At that point I committed to 105 mi of running, with nowhere to hide.
I had done my homework and I knew that the winds would be shifting from WSW to WNW throughout the day, and increasing. This meant that I had roughly 30 miles of headwind on the course, then 70 mi of primarily tailwind. This knowledge was key to give me the confidence for this move.
I kept an eye behind me on the long rollers and grew the gap to several minutes without much reaction from the chasers. I realized that I had a bout 5-6 hours our riding tempo ahead of me. I tried my best to stay focused on eating, drinking taking the smoothest line possible across the course, as those details are what add up in these events.
I passed through the 2nd and 3rd aid stations alone and well out of sight. I turned into the glorious shifting WNW tailwind with 60 mi remaining and felt a strong moral boost. I received no time splits the entire race, so I just rode at my absolute limit till the end. Sharp cramps hit both quads around 20 mi to go, so I downed the remainder of my @skratchlabs water solution and pulled off the power a bit until they subsided. This same moment, I heard a rear puncture. Sure enough, I had picked up a large barn nail in my rear tire and was losing air. I pulled the nail out, rotated the puncture to the lowest point, and @orangesealed did the rest, sealing the tire w/out adding air. Back on the road.
I stayed on the gas the entire race, not knowing who or how many chasers were hunting me. I did know that they were top notch riders, and I could not mess about in the final miles. I was very sure not to have any mental celebration until I walked across the timing corral with that sweet @alliedcycleworks machine over my head. In order to win, you have to risk losing, and DK200 was a testament to that.
Thank you to the @dirtykanza event family that produces this incredible race, thanks to the world-class riders who participated, and thank you to our top-class equipment partners that made the gear that could handle this punishing race. #metxgioridesthebest"

Sheesh, that screenshot of his Wahoo - HUUUUUUUUGE #'s. Just insanely strong.

Moreso due to him riding solo for more than half of it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [c.mont.811] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c.mont.811 wrote:

Jay Prasuhn with the lame comment
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much drag does having your number flat on the front cause?
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42 mm
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is apparently a common gripe among gravel riders - maybe Prasuhn attempted to be funny .

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That is apparently a common gripe among gravel riders - maybe Prasuhn attempted to be funny

So gravel racers are not good with riders using clip-on aerobars ?!
Any idea why?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I do. The Grasshoppers have some but surely isn't enough good stuff nearby, and none of it is close to DK. Most of my riding is on the road with a few singletrack and vineyard sectors from time to time.

DK has some difficult sections but none that are overly technical. This year's route only had one part that was slightly sketch where speed was your friend to stay on top of rocks instead of plowing through them. But that's not to say a sidewall tear or flat isn't waiting around any corner because they are. There's some skill, similar to mountain biking, in picking a line to protect tire and lessen risk of flats. And luck is a huge part as well.

Anyhow, give me a shout it you want to ride sometime!
Quote Reply
Re: The winning Dirty Kanza 200 gravel Able bike of Colin Strickland [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many don't think they should be allowed. Partially because of the spirit but also because some people exercise poor judgement riding in them in pack. Events typically say they're allowed (like DK) or not (like Crusher and BWR). For those racing, it's kind of foolish not to use them. With a tailwind and the beast Colin is, it'd have taken every one of the pros in front working together to catch him. Was a very tactical move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That is apparently a common gripe among gravel riders - maybe Prasuhn attempted to be funny .

H

nope he backed it up with a safety concern
Quote Reply

Prev Next