Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym?
Quote | Reply
COVID ain't going away. and neither is the ice and snow and dark evenings.

I generally dislike the treadmill, but out of convenience, I plan on utilizing it quite a bit this year. I posted a thread yesterday about recommendations, but am now considering using the treadmills at my gym where I swim.

This seems like a pretty horrible idea, from a public health perspective, and owning my own treadmill would likely be the "safer" option, albeit quite a bit more expensive.

Is anyone braving it and using the treadmills in the gym?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Home gym for me: rack/olympic weight set, treadmill, Hammer smart trainer, and Zwift for riding/running.

For treadmill my setup is: Garmin 945 using virtual run activity type, Zwift running. Works ok and helps pass the time. In virtual run mode the 945 broadcasts pace/cadence and HR to Zwift for 'sensor' purposes.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely have the room for a treadmill, and the fiance would use it as much as I would. But a refurbed commercial unit is still going to set me back at least $1,700. But I'd probably grab a Runn sensor to use with Zwift, which I can't do at a gym (I have a footpod and it's awfully spotty).

Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have escaped to Texas but spent 40 years running in Minnesota. The only time I resorted to gym treadmills was if it was below 0 F or if work interfered. Otherwise layer so that you are somewhat chilled to start and wear cleats when icy. Embrace winter and run outside as often as is feasible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a NordicTrack 9700 pro via craigslist for $100 at the beginning of summer. It was definitely a gym model before and I think it needs a motor replacement at this point (burning smell), but for $100 it was a great deal. With some patience, expanding the range you're willing to drive, and a truck, you could very likely find something useable for well under $500. I'm going to be replacing the motor on mine for about $120 so even with some parts needed it was a great buy.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I bought a NordicTrack 9700 pro via craigslist for $100 at the beginning of summer. It was definitely a gym model before and I think it needs a motor replacement at this point (burning smell), but for $100 it was a great deal. With some patience, expanding the range you're willing to drive, and a truck, you could very likely find something useable for well under $500. I'm going to be replacing the motor on mine for about $120 so even with some parts needed it was a great buy.

That burning smell might be an indication it is time to lube the belt/deck. When was last time it was done?
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've actually done that religiously. The belt seems to be in good shape and I've ensured it's properly tightened. It's definitely coming from the motor area but it's hard to pinpoint exactly. I was wondering if it was just the drive belt as that feels quite warm after running it for a bit. I guess I might as well replace that first and see if it fixes it as it's cheaper.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just replaced the drive motor in a NordicTrack C2450. When I removed the cowling over the motor/control board the burning smell from before became a very evident smoke wisp from the motor itself.

You may want to confirm that the issue is the motor, and you should be able to either see smoke, or find evidence of scorching on the wires going into the brushes (little hatches on each side you may have to pry off to see for sure). For me replacing the motor with a part number match from a surplus joint in NE was a fix (new in box motor). Motor was ~$100, the shipping was $50 (international + 40 lbs). I am not mechanical inclined by any means but it was a simple enough swap. Hardest part was getting motor in position to get bolts back in. 40 lbs suspended in a tight space and awkward position while threading two small bolts is a two person job.

It's possible the control board has shorted out somewhere, which would be another set of problems. My unit was about 5 years old and out of warranty by the time this happened. I suspect having it on the same circuit as the washer/dryer and running the simultaneously for years (go to basement, put in laundry, run) likely shortened the life of the motor. Put it on a decent power bar and won't run the other heavy gear at same time going forwards. Ask me in 5 years how it turned out ;)
Last edited by: TheRhino: Oct 26, 20 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only done some quick walking on the TM ( WITH a mask) to get warmed up before my weights session, and haven't yet tried to ramp it up to a legit run

That being said, with a La Niña forecast for this Winter (warm & rainy) I think I can keep running on the road

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go occasionally but probably will go more as it cools down. If you go to the grocery store go to the gym. Been looking for a treadmill more for convenience.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in snowy upstate NY and panic bought a treadmill from Facebook Marketplace when the lockdowns started last March. It was pretty cheap (maybe $500?) and barely used, but it had cost around $2000 new two years before. There are a lot of people out there who buy a treadmill, don't use it, and somewhat desperately want to get the thing out of their house, if you're able to move it.

But, I also agree with the person above--running in the cold can be fun! Figuring out the right gear is pretty important, but if you can find the right amount of layers, it feels like conquering nature. That, and, it's really important to get outside and get sun on your face in the winter. I use my treadmill mostly for those days when I procrastinate working out until it's too dark to run outside.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me. I am making a homemade groomer to I can go Nordic skiing in the neighborhood park.

Local ski store is pretty much sold out of everything, skis (both downhill and xc) and snowshoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll run on the treadmill as a last resort, usually when it's super cold outside, like -26C (-15 in Freedom Units). Running in those temps isn't good for your lungs. In Southern Ontario there's only a few times a year it's really necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No amount of snow or cold will have me heading to a gym for exercise. I'd rather wear an extra layer(s) of clothes or simply not exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
I'll run on the treadmill as a last resort, usually when it's super cold outside, like -26C (-15 in Freedom Units). Running in those temps isn't good for your lungs. In Southern Ontario there's only a few times a year it's really necessary.

I think my issue is moreso getting the planned session in and not necessarily the cold. I can’t do 800s when there’s ice all over the ground. If I’m running an easy hour, I love running in the snow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been going to the gym since they reopened in July. I have a treadmill at home but it is on its last leg and I prefer the ones at the gym. I plan on upgrading eventually but good deals are hard to come by in Covid times.

Currently at the gym, every other machine is off limits and they rotate that daily. Masks are required when not exercising. The cleaning crew also does a great job. They have these new disinfectant devices that they strap on like ghostbuster backpacks and are constantly spraying the equipment. I typically go early in the morning which are usually less busy times and even more so these days. Living in MN, training indoors is a necessity for most and we already have snow nearly two months earlier than a typical year. Some people train outdoors throughout the winter but I’m a freeze baby and don’t like the dangerous icy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have space for a treadmill at my current place, but luckily apart from some rain I can run outdoors in the winter. Summer was tough though, usually I'd run on a treadmill at least some of the days when it's 40+ celsius outside, but I've shunned the gym ever since COVID-19 started. Some dumbbells, kettlebells and straps, the missus & I have been transforming the living room into a gym 2-3 times a week.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started back at the gym a few weeks ago. Ours moved half of their equipment into the gymnasium to space everything out as best as possible. I have space in my basement for a treadmill, but it’s a sharp 90 heading down the stairs and don’t know how i would get anything down there if I wanted to.

The first few trips back certainly felt odd. I felt like I was doing something I shouldn’t be. It has become a bit more normal since then. I don’t even think that it’s a good thing to have it feel normal, but I can tell you that my mental health has drastically improved since returning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Vermont I feel your pain. We already had a dusting of snow yesterday and winters start in November here.

I would invest in a home treadmill. I used to be very anti-treadmill during my marathon days but too many sub zero Sunday long runs wore me down. Now I love my treadmill for those really awful days where it's just too cold outside or it's pouring rain sideways and your training plan calls for 15 miles.

Learning to love outside winter running along with treadmill runs makes the winter so much better. There are good running shoes armed with spikes nowadays. Icebugs are a lot more comfy and Salomon makes great winter running shoes with spikes. My husband also puts screws in the bottoms of my regular running shoes for when the snowy gravel roads are plowed and you run on hardpack with light sand.

With the pandemic I would avoid the gym if possible this winter. I'm back to swimming in a small masters group and feel I'm still taking a slight risk, but I would not go near the gym area. Even before the pandemic I always felt it was easier to get a cold or flu in the gym so we have had a home gym for years. The locker rooms are another risky area but I learned some tricks to avoid them or spend as little time as possible.

Best of luck and stay safe....and warm!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym lost a ton of members when it closed early on during covid and most have not returned so it’s pretty bare. In addition they’ve closed off every other cardio machine so people are generally spaced pretty far apart.

When I do go I just try and hit it during off times when there isn’t really anyone else within 15-20 feet of me.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gyms in my area closed for a few weeks but have been up and running since. No known issues that I am aware of. I use the treadmills but prefer the indoor track.

Purely anecdotal but I am in the gym 3 days per week minimum and it is pretty much normal with the exception of 2 hours mid day for those more vulnerable groups in which a mask is required at all times. During the other times, you are screened for temperature when entering but after that, it's pretty normal. Mostly just see people taking a common sense approach
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
My gym lost a ton of members when it closed early on during covid and most have not returned so it’s pretty bare. In addition they’ve closed off every other cardio machine so people are generally spaced pretty far apart.

When I do go I just try and hit it during off times when there isn’t really anyone else within 15-20 feet of me.

Just another excuse for the fatties to stay on the couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope.. Denver is on the edge of overloading ICUs again, probably going to close gyms here in the next month.
Ice is what stops me running outside, snow isn't a problem, and I have a large wardrobe of gear for staying warm..
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
nope.. Denver is on the edge of overloading ICUs again, probably going to close gyms here in the next month.
Ice is what stops me running outside, snow isn't a problem, and I have a large wardrobe of gear for staying warm..

You are gonna have SO much fun running on ice - seriously.

Try one of several good options:
- DIY "screw shoes" where you literally screwdriver in a bunch of screws into an old pair of usable running sneakers (flat screw top on the outside). Google it.
- Yaktracks
- Similar microspikes that go on your runnning shoes

You gotta try it - it's sooo much fun to go running on snow/ice yet have shockingly good stability and almost no slippage. I used screw shoes for awhile and it was awesome for everything short of a sheet of superslick ice, and even then, instead of wiping out, you just have to slow it down due to mild sliding.

Seriously, it's the best. Feels so different and cool to be doing speedwork (like sub-6min miles) on icy terrain that you'd totally eat it on if you were with normal shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: The snow has fallen: Who of you are resorting to the treadmills at the gym? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our gym opened back around the begining of september, I go 2x a week and run on the treadmill. It stinks because we have to wear masks at all times except for when swimming. I haven't done any hard efforts, and the PE for a given pace/hr is a notch or two higher breathing through the mask. I wish I could get a treadmill for the house, but I don't have any space, and it would require giving up a good portion of our living space. Don't think my wife would love that idea.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next