Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The quest for IMFL: Training schedule... (review needed)
Quote | Reply
Howdy gang...

I've put together a training schedule based on several things, the availablity of spinning classes/pool times at the local gym, my families schedule, and the force of gravity itself(huh?). Anyway... if I could get your feedback on the schedule, that'd be great.

Overall, I'll try to adhere to the 10% rule which is not to increase my distance no more than 10% from the previous week. And then every 4th week, I'll bring things down for a rest, and then build back up from there.

Monday: Long swim / Upper body weights [5:30am - 8:00am]
- 1 - 2 mile swim

Tuesday: Bike / Run [6:00am - 8:00am]
- 60mins on bike, 6 mile run

Wednesday: Swim / Upper body weights [5:30am - 7:30am]
- No more than 1/2 - 1 mile swim, and light weights

Thursday: Bike / Run [ 6:00am - 8:00am]
- 60mins on bike, 6 mile run

Friday: REST DAY
- the body must regenerate.

Saturday: Swim / Bike [8:00am - 11:00am(or so)]
- Long Bike 20 miles to start, and build up 10% each week? 1/2 mile - mile swim.

Sunday: Run [7:15am with local running club.]
- Long Run [No more than 13 miles for long run until after June - alternate over 4 week period: week 1: 10 miles, week 2: 12 miles, week 3: 13-14 miles, week 4: 6-7 miles -- rinse, repeat until 1/2IM is done]

That is it in a nutshell... What do you guys think? I am going to start back slow on running as others recommened in the other thread. I'll probably do: 1 or 2 miles Saturday, and then 2 miles on Tuesday , 4 on next thursday, 6 that next Sunday and build up etc...

Thanks in advance,
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Re: The quest for IMFL: Training schedule... (review needed) [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
occy - not qualified to comment on the training plan but I am there with you on the early morning / family thang <he says yawning>
Quote Reply
Re: The quest for IMFL: Training schedule... (review needed) [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only see 3 days of running. Maybe I overlooked it, but I think most athletes are running 4, 5, or even 6 days, with one of those days being a transition run after a long ride.

Recommend eventually tossing in some superlong bike rides exceeding 6 hours. (Not something scheduled for your repeatable weeks, but more like a once monthly event.) Dave Scott actually recommends a few 150 mile rides with the idea being to come off the bike as fresh as possible.

Also, not part of your recurring schedule, but are you tossing in a couple of half IM's this summer? They are a good test of your nutrition plan and muscle fitness. GulfCoast has a some open spots and its the exact course for IMFL.

Swim schedule looks good. Have you considered doing your upper body lifting on non-swim days?

Also, practice staying down in your aerobars as much as possible during the year of training. IMFL is flat except for a couple of bridge crossings. There's not a whole lot of opportunity to get out of your saddle. So, try to get used to staying down for long periods of time. You will also appreciate it when you hit the head winds and you're able to stay low and comfortable on your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The quest for IMFL: Training schedule... (review needed) [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I only see 3 days of running. Maybe I overlooked it, but I think most athletes are running 4, 5, or even 6 days, with one of those days being a transition run after a long ride. [/quote]
...Yeah, but man, I was doing 5 days of running when I did my Marathon training recently and it nearly killed me. I might try and squeeze in a 4th transition run after my Saturday bikes. (maybe a 2 miler or something)

[quote]
Recommend eventually tossing in some superlong bike rides exceeding 6 hours. (Not something scheduled for your repeatable weeks, but more like a once monthly event.) Dave Scott actually recommends a few 150 mile rides with the idea being to come off the bike as fresh as possible. [/quote]
Makes total sense to me... Those will probably be some time in early September / Late August. Yeah! Riding in Georgia in the heat!! heh

[quote]
Also, not part of your recurring schedule, but are you tossing in a couple of half IM's this summer? They are a good test of your nutrition plan and muscle fitness. GulfCoast has a some open spots and its the exact course for IMFL.[/quote]
I'm scheduled to do the 1/2 IM here in Macon Georgia this June 5th. I REALLY need to scrape up the $190 entry fee soon.

[quote]
Swim schedule looks good. Have you considered doing your upper body lifting on non-swim days? [/quote]
I could look into it... it's just on the non-swimming days I'm running / biking and that seems to take up the whole morning. :/ We need to extend the hours in a day. (so I can sleep more and workout more)

[quote]
Also, practice staying down in your aerobars as much as possible during the year of training. IMFL is flat except for a couple of bridge crossings. There's not a whole lot of opportunity to get out of your saddle. So, try to get used to staying down for long periods of time. You will also appreciate it when you hit the head winds and you're able to stay low and comfortable on your bike.[/quote]
I'll try and remember that, however, I live here in Middle Georgia where there are TONS of hills it seems. Sooo.... ;)

tx.
Trae

PS. Ugh, the "markup" stuff the board uses doesn't seem to be working right for me... am I doing something wrong?

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your daily schedule looks OK, maybe another run would be better, but that is only a very small part of the training plan. I make an outline starting from you A race and work backwards to the time you want to start. That way you know when your hard and easy weeks are.

Here is an example of what I mean. This is my outline to race the Muncie Endurathon.
Wk end Period Hours
2/6/05 Base 1 10
2/13/05 Base 1 12
2/20/05 Base 1 13.5
2/27/05 Base 1 E 8.5
3/6/05 Base 2 12
3/13/05 Base 2 14.5
3/20/05 Base 2 16
3/27/05 Base 2 E 8.5
4/3/05 Base 3 13
4/10/05 Base 3 15
4/17/05 Base 3 16.5
4/24/05 Base 3 E 8.5
5/1/05 Base 4 13.5
5/8/05 Base 4 16.5
5/15/05 Base 4 E 8.5
5/22/05 Build 1 15
5/29/05 Build 1 15
6/5/05 Build 1 E 8.5
6/12/05 Build2 14.5
6/19/05 Build2 14.5
6/26/05 Build2 E 8.5
7/3/05 peak 13
7/10/05 peak 10.5
7/17/05 Race 8.5 A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me you're not going to do two brick runs each week?

I'm already tired reading the schedule.

You're also going to need some brick runs after your long rides.

Debi Bernardes

Owner, UCANDOIT Coaching Group, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm on board with two bricks in a week but agree with deb that one should be after your long ride. ditch the other mid week one. also, i don't think you need to do a 6mile brick during your mid-week brick. the purpose of a brick is to get your legs used to running after riding but you don't need to overdo it - especially so far out from your race. 3 or 4 miles i think are sufficient mid week. build to one hour on the weekend.
Quote Reply