Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The pose method for runners, right for me?
Quote | Reply
I know there are a few adopter of the pose method of running (posetech.com). What are your thoughts on this running style? Is it more than simply running on the balls of your feet? I've never been a great runner and have had cronic problems with ankles and knees due to severe pronation. A few years ago I broke my 3rd and 4th metatarsals on my left foot and have had tendonitis in that ankle sense. It seems that I go from one pair of shoes which aggravates my shin splints to another pair that plays havoc with my tendonitis. I'm willing to try just about anything, so maybe the pose method is for me? There aren't any clinics coming my way (NC) but I see that there is a book and DVD available. Which would be more useful?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [carchaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes the pose method is perfect for you. it is more than just running on the balls of your feet. it is a totally diffrent way to run. there is no push off or roll through. it is simly the act of lifting your foot and allowing yourself to fall forward bring the other foot down for support. the book goes into better detail about the system so go ahead and get the book then give it a shot.

it has helped me start running again after i ground my knees in to powder over the years. it takes some practice but you'll get it.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still looking for a book or video that will show me how to run like a Kenyan.
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful beatnic - that's not very PC of you. Posetech kicks butt though. Has helped me go farther, faster and way less painfully. Since I seriously doubt I'll ever do a sub-3-hour marathon, then stand around and chat with folks at the finish line, Pose is the best game in town for this 5'2" irish girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing but respect for Kenyan runners. Not sure what you meant by your comment.............
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my God. This board is incredible. Lighten up beatnic- it was a joke. To all a good day.

Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another vote for Pose being much more than "running on the balls of your feet". In fact, I would posit that this is an inaccurate portrayal. (I'm not slamming you -- it is a common statement circulating the cyberworld.) I would suggest the video before the book, as I think seeing the running in the video is a big help. Standard disclaimer#1: the drills in the video are accentuated relative to actual running, as is often the case with skill drills of any sport. Standard disclaimer#2: depending on your running history, muscular development, and degree of shift in technique necessary, it may take you several weeks or longer to get comfortable with a new running style. So don't start it four weeks before your season-defining marathon :-) Standard disclaimer#3: unless I'm running fast, my heel touches the ground (did I actually say that?;-), but not for long or with much weight, and the forefoot hits first. Heel totally off the ground is a source of some controversy, and I'm not a fan of it, especially for big guys.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm reading the book now, little over 1/2 way done, it's pretty easy reading. The fact that the chapters are 2-4 pages makes you feel like you're reading really fast. Much like my much-loved Total Immersion book the first 1/2 of the book is all fluff (convincing you of the merits of new technique), but I'm finally getting to the substance of the book. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd get the book and video package from amazon.com

-------------------------------------
New rule for ST users to make this a better place:
When someone asks for ADVICE, don't be a douche. Give advice or STFU.
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [dre125038] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only video I see on Amazon is $49.95 for the DVD, $24.95 on VHS. Seems awfully expensive. If any of you who have already mastered the technique would be interested in selling your copy, I'd be interested in buying (and I'm sure at least a dozen other slowtwitchers would also.)

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot me an email ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's way more than simply running on the balls of the feet. I think getting both the book and video would be very helpful. The book explains the technique in more detail and the video lets you see how everything works together more clearly.

I went from being a heavy heel striker to almost never using my heels. I was having problems with my knees, shins and hips due to the pounding of my running style. Pose did take a few months to adjust to. My calves were extremely sore at first, then I had some achilles problems because I was landing to stiffly on my midfoot. After I got past the adjustment period I run almost totally pain free. So far I have not seen any dramatic increase in speed but I think that has more to do with not doing enough speedwork. I just finished my second marathon this year almost 19 minutes faster than the first and I think by next year I'll be another 20-30 minutes faster. I'll never be real fast, but for someone who didn't even start running until age 44 I do OK.

If you do decide to do the pose method give it at least 6 months to a year.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the dvd and the two workbooks. I can't say they did much for me, but I am an old, lumbering, overstriding, heel-striker. $30 shipped.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [carchaser] No I don't think so.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
POSE will hurt your Achilles tendon hijus.. absolutely the wrong thing to try if you're already having tendonitis problems. From their website:
"Contact with the ground is made by the ball of the foot first, with the heel slightly elevated. This allows the ankle and Achilles tendon to act as a significant spring"
Or alternatively, to significantly injure the tendon..

I'd recommend ignoring the pernicious nonsense about forefoot striking, and try doing some of the drills, if anything. The drills in POSE are mostly standard running drills, and will probably do some good if you don't attempt to focus on forefoot striking.

But a better approach would be to get custom orthotics to stabilise your foot and fix the pronation problem. Once that's fixed, get some stability shoes with decent cushion, so you can put in enough base miles that the shin splints will go away. Shin splints are not a pronation injury, but an impact injury. Run on a synthetic running track if you can - it provides extra shock absorption, and a consistent flat surface to minimise the chance of ankle/tendon strains.

Remember that POSE is more a cult than a training method, requiring as it does the suspension of disbelief. From their website again: " In the Pose MethodTM it is assumed that running technique is the same for all athletes regardless of speed or distance". Why is an entire training theory based on an assumption, with no attempt to provide theoretical justification ? Look at Tim Montgomery running 100m and Haile Gebreselassie running 10 000m and see if their technique is the same - I don't think so. Look at the top runners in any race 5k or longer, and count how many are fore-foot striking - it's a very small number.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [carchaser] No I don't think so.. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While watching the World Track Championships on cable I noticed that many of the distance runners (over 800) were overstriding badly, were airborne and were striking their heels first. I just wanted to jump into that t.v. and give them a piece of posetech so they could all set world records, seriatum.

Where you land is probably a function of stride length, flexibility, and how much you go UP. I still tend to go up quite a bit, although there is nothing like running a marathon after the swim and bike to lower your altitude. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [carchaser] No I don't think so.. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Remember that POSE is more a cult than a training method"

pardon? what are talking about? my knees and cronic shin pain are gone because of cult like pratices? the use of muscle tension is a lot like naked dancing in woods? wanna back up that statement?

Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew you'd come in on this one, Jon. Didn't feel like defending it, as those of us who were actually able to change our technique have reaped the benefits. As far as I know, there's no chanting, spinning or burning of insense associated with the PoseCult.

~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your right. (deep breath) i feel better. thank you for the cult like calming. you rule.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the book.

I am Running pain free for the first time in 10 years which is amazing! (I suffered from knee pain since high school x-country) While I'm not sure if this is 100% the result of the Pose I would think it has a large part to play in this. Also I can't say that I am faster using the technique but being pain free has been tremendous and allows me to train more which in turn allows me to run faster.

This is my first year as a multi sport athlete (still working on the swim-not ready to enter a triathlon just yet). I think the cross training on the bike has helped strengthen my leg muscles which also may have a role to play in my leg health.

Anyway I say thumbs up to the Pose technique. Especially if you suffer from knee pain or chronic leg soreness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As can be readily seen from the varied responses, there is no consensus of opinion regarding Pose. However, common sense dictates that, if one is in pain when running, then something should change. Pose is an option to try. When I look critically at Pose versus other running form recommendations, there is 90% overlap. The other 10% is open for interpretation, opinion, disagreement, and individual dialing in. This is no different from any other sport, for example swimming where people love to debate the merits or lack thereof of loping for hours at a time. Before this, however, these same folks agree on the preceding >90% of technique that defines a "good" swimmer. While the holy writ says to keep your heel off the ground, Romanov in the Pose forum and running himself in the video show that this is one of the elements open for some interpretation. The holy write dates from the dawn of "commercialized Pose". You still have to go to church on Sunday and see if the preacher has any interpretation to help you see the true path. And occasionally the Pope will convene a synod and conclude that elements of the Holy Writ need refining. So you have to stay alert! I would say you have to stay on your toes, but that might be inflammatory.

By the way, I've noticed lately that all of my long run courses are in the shape of a pentagram.......

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already backed it up. Re-read my post. Anecdotes do not a theory make.

I don't deny that the drills in POSE may well help many. That's because they are for the most part standard running drills that can be found in the standard texts. This is unrelated to the harebrained theory of antigravity, or whatever it is that Romanov is propounding.

Fast distance runners don't run the way Romanov says they do. Why should we pay any attention to him beyond this point ? Only because of his personal charisma, which is one of the defining marks of a cult. I could go on, but there's no arguing with True Believers..
Last edited by: doug in co: Sep 4, 03 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: The pose method for runners, right for me? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always on the lookout for additional input to running as well as other aspects of multisport. If you were going to suggest one or more books or on-line resources for proper running form, where would you send the person?

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okeydokeyshmokey, gotta jump in here for just a sec. First off, "charisma??" Are we referring to the same Romanov? Because if we are, I'm deeply confused by your definition of "charisma." I don't see this guy leading the next group of Branch Davidians at all.

Second, "anti-gravity?" Uh...no. Never heard of that in anything Pose-related. Yes, he does talk about working with gravity instead of against it, which has probably been the most impactful piece of the technique for me, personally. It's the idea of allowing your leg to relax and rest on the down stroke; essentially letting it fall. (very similar to what is recommended for efficient cycling technique) The body position taught in Pose also maximizes what positive effects may be gained from gravity. Now, in all fairness, I only own the video, so perhaps his Vulcan anti-gravity boots are mentioned in the book - I wouldn't know. I am however, attending a Pose clinic on the 14th, so if they strap those boots on me then, I'll be sure to post it immiediately.

All this being said, here's the bottom line, for me, like it or not, the US Olympic Triathlon Team, and countless other runners: Pre-Pose: Running was difficult and often painful. Post Pose: I run far longer, with no pain. PERIOD.

So, if ya gots to believe it's a bunch of BS (although I sometimes listen to Blue Oyster CULT while running) because it failed you personally, then go ahead. But I must say, that seems just a little narrow minded to this Poser.

~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i heart kategt! perfectly stated.

anti gravity? no. pro gravity? yes!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please read my signature again..

I'm glad POSE helped you. But what did you try before POSE, other than JRA (just running along) ? I'd suggest for new runners, even something like Running for Dummies (not being insulting, that's their title not mine):
http://cda.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-446.html
is a lot less likely to get you injured than POSE.

Please re-read my posts and think about what I'm saying. The original poster asked 'is Pose right for me ?' The answer is a categorical NO for the reasons I outlined in the first post. It's not so much that Romanov's theories (actually, unsubstantiated assertions - he has no theories) are nonsense, it's that they are harmful nonsense: harmful nonsense from which he is turning a profit. Most people who attempt to start running using the Achilles and calf muscles as a 'significant spring' will be injured. This is a matter of biomechanical fact, not an opinion. Any statistically significant survey of POSE would confirm (or maybe refute, though I doubt it) this, not that I expect the study ever to be done. Romanov hasn't yet produced any significant results to make his assertions worth investigating.

I was being facetious about the anti-gravity. But the whole postulate sounds awfully like the charlatans of perpetual motion..

Again let me repeat: fast distance runners do not run the way Romanov says they do. Can anyone give me a counterexample ? Once we've established that no elite runners do anything like the POSE method, what is the rationale for using it ?

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, it's time to end this nonsense. We can debate some issues but I've learned from this forum that there are a few hard and fast, undeniable facts about triathlon. To wit:

Carbon is the best bike frame material. Titanuim is second best, aluminum is third and steel stinks. One should ALWAYS cover a 25 yard pool in 12 strokes. 77.6 degrees is THE optimal seat angle. Powercranks subtract 3'26" from your 40K time while rotor cranks subtract 2'12". LOOK pedals are best. Ironman bike courses are always EXACTLY 112 miles. Hammer Gel is better than GU, but Carb-Boom is better than either. Clinchers are better than tubulars.

And finally - Everyone should adopt the POSE method.

I'm glad I could clear that up for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next