Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The perfect do-it-all bike?
Quote | Reply
Greetings STers,

I'm currently strategizing my next bike purchase and was looking for some input. I'm looking for one bike that I can use in a peloton style century one weekend, do an aero 112 in an Ironman the following weekend, in addition to riding to work a couple of days each week. The Cervelo Soloist completely fits the bill, however I am not interested so no need to suggest it. This is what I had in mind:

Custom Litespeed Saber with similar geometry to the Soloist (still aero, but more road capable).

Please weigh in with your comments/suggestions/recommendations! (BTW, my current ride is a Cannondale Slice - I love it for triathlons, but a little twitchy in the groups, not to mention the evil glares!)

Thanks and HAPPY TRAINING!
Tony
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [tsurfsnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you keep the Slice and just get a plain old road bike? If not, just get a plain old road bike with clip ons

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about http://www.lookcycle.com/products/?m=7&l=en

...and the best bit....NOT a Cervelo!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point and one that I knew would come up. I had a road bike, but had to trim down my toys. Plus, if I can only have one bike, I want one that still has some aero advantage....on that note, a "plain old road bike with clip ons" just doesn't fit the bill for me. Thanks for the thoughts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the Ti boutiques will build you an aero rig with more traditional road geometry.

See Roark, Lynski, Habanero, etc.

Hmmm the perfect do it all bike? A custom Roark aero with room for CX tires and a set of couplers. a few sets of rims/tires and some clipons and you are in business.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 5 year old Litespeed Ultimate and a 18/12 old Cervelo P2C. One guess which one looks the same as the day I bought it, and the other like a bomb went off under it about 6/12 after I got it. Carbon cervelos are fast, but the day my Litespeed dies (if that day ever comes) I will be replacing it with another (or perhaps a custom Lynksys if my wife lets me). You just can't go past titanium for reliability, smooth ride and the fact that you can back over it in your driveway and still race with it the next day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Blue Compettition T12/14/16 frame.

With the highly adjustable seatpost - throw on a good adjustable stem (I use a Deda 31mm adjustable) , drop bars with STI and clip ons - you will have what you need. I can put my seat back into a 73 degreee and raise the stem angle and swap a spacer for road, then drop all the spacers out, push the stem angle down, and move the seat to 79 degree for tri rides.

PM me if you want more details or config pics

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a road frame with aero tubes, well, good luck. There simply aren't very many out there. The Soloist is the only one that comes to mind.

If you are looking for a frame that you can get a decent aero position on, then you'll want something with a longish front centre, shortish head tube, and a straight / reversible seat post. My Trek OCLV fits the bill, and it rides great. The new Madone is apparently even better, but I'm not sure if the seat mast is reversible or not.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You reverse the seat post on your Madone? I just push my seat as far forward as I can but haven't gone so far as to reverse the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [SBRW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I like a slackish seat angle anyway, and I use a straight Thomson post. Before I got the P2SL, I just jammed the seat forward and raised the seat a little, but that isn't steep enough for everyone.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Custom Litespeed Saber with similar geometry to the Soloist (still aero, but more road capable).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes the Saber more "road capable" than the soloist to you?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Soloist is the only one that comes to mind. "

Kestrel Talon
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The standard Saber is NOT more capable than the Soloist....I was stating that I want a Custom Saber that is more road capable than the standard Saber...basically a Saber with Soloist geometry...
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes the Saber more "road capable" than the soloist to you?

just what i ws thinking, the soloist is one of the best road race bikes out there, a couple of guys out here use P3c's as road bikes as well with no problems and would quite happly RR on a P3 or P2.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite razor AL or carbon version. Since it is a custom frame, pretty easy to make the geometry ride more like a road bike. In addition, I think Elite is making a new ITU legal version of the razor.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about http://www.lookcycle.com/products/?m=7&l=en

...and the best bit....NOT a Cervelo!!!

Sorry....that was supposed to be a link to the new Look 586, a top quality Road/Tri hybrid. Prob not available in th US yet, and pricey, but VVV sexy!

Here's a link to a shop I found that selles them over here http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/...roduct/F586RO53.html
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What is a "peloton style century"?

I assume just a road race?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could get a soloist and some spray paint and cover the logo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sort of do-it-all bike. Light (16.5pds), fast, (not as aero frame) and has STI's on a cowhorn base bar.

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the Kestrel Talon! I owned one and wish I still did. This bike is light, aero and very versatile geometry. Plus it is not a custom; custom=expensive. Just my two cents....

Coop

Honor, courage and commitment!
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a very cool looking setup!

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect do-it-all bike? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!! our mechanic here has a 48 frame just like yours hes trying to sell... whered you get the bars? man thats hot lol

"Fear is what drives you in the last part of a marathon in an Ironman. The body is depleted and the mind is fuzzy. Short course racing is driven by power and finese at the end of a race, Ironman demands so much more and is driven by will and mental strength." Chris McCormack

10/28/08 Dev Paul had 400w FTP!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you missed this thread last week...but here's a GREAT lil snip from Dan. You have the reverse situation..so why compromise?

"Just wondering why the soloist was a compromise?"

let me answer it with my own question. i hear a lot of people talking about retrofitting their 73 degree bike to work as a 79 degree tri bike. why don't i ever hear the opposite? what would the cycling world think if somebody said, "i'm going to take my felt DA and retrofit it for racing criteriums"?

now, some of you might say that, yes, you could do that. but i've never seen it done by any serious racer. but for some reason, it seems okay to retrofit a road bike for tri riding.

the answer is, yes, you can do it. you retrofit your MTB for tri riding. you can do whatever you want. but if you're going to start from scratch, with a couple of bucks you're willing to spend, and you're going to get a bike for triathlon, and you've already got a road race bike, why would one choose to get yet another road geometry bike and set it up steep?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Quote Reply

Prev Next