Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The death of G-Push
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious as to how many of you have been nailed by the recent death of G-Push. I tried it a few years ago, but not only did I find the taste to difficult to handle once, but all four of their formulas tasted so similar. Still, it is unfortunate that they went out of business. (Very nice customer service people in the Canadian office.)

Beyond this, how many of you have "back-up" nutritional products that you could go to if your preferred company folded? I rely heavily on Lava Gel and the various products from e-caps/Hammer, specifically Perpetuem, Sustained energy, and most recently H.E.E.D., and if either of these companies folded I would be in trouble! Not too much of what is out there works for me for the longer hauls, I'm afraid.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a huge G-Push fan, it was the only thing I had discovered that worked for me. Thankfully, I didn't like the price so before they went under I had started researching other ideas. Currently I'm making my own based on maltodextrin. It works great and the price is ridiculously cheap, as in $0.78 / lb. The only downside is that I had to buy a 50lb bag!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were big fans of G-Push. That said we were always aware of the fragility of the company. As such, we kept a good stock on hand and moved quickly to buy up excess when they cratered. I would estimate that we will have enough to get us through next season.

The taste was definitely an acquired one, but I will miss the stuff when its all gone.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a large supply of G-Push that I will sell cheap for anyone out there who still digs it. Probably a couple seasons worth....

montyman007@hotmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please share your recipe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked long and hard for a gpush backup and I believe that I have settled on Hammer Perpetuem. I want to try HEED. Is that more of a quick energy replacement drink vs. the Perpetuem (a +2 hour drink).

Gpush granted didn't taste very good, but it was good stuff! I think it got it's bad name when they sponsored Wildflower and couldn't keep the stuff cold. This was one of the really hot years and if you were not used to it, there was nothing worse than warm gpush.

I really find it hard to believe that this product would just die. I would have thought that another company would buy the brand and keep it going.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using MALTRIN QD M500 from http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/maldescr.html

I made the assumption that it has 4 cals/gram. I put 480 calories in a bike bottle (2 cups). For flavor I put in the appropriate amount of Gatorade for 20oz. If it is really hot (I'm in TX) I put in 1/3 tsp of Morton Lite Salt, which is roughly equivalent to taking 3 e-caps per hour for a 1/2 IM bike.

I've tried using KoolAde for flavor and it works fine, but you have to add sugar for flavor.

If you have any specific questions I'll be glad to answer them. Also, if you want to try a few lbs without buying a 50 lb bag, I'll send you a few for whatever my cost is.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh thats not good news..although I found G Push sucked as far as taste and didn't seem to give me enough calories at all.

I use Hammer Gel products and e caps stuff. If they go under I am in deep doo doo...

Good idea finding some backup stuff that will work..

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HEED is the quick replacement energy and has fewer calories per scoop than perpetuem or sustained energy and still has long chain carbos and electrolytes which the perpetuem does not provide.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For longer events I am using H.E.E.D. for the first couple of hours and then switching to Perpetuem. The two taste vastly different, though, so if I tire of one I switch to the other for a while. The H.E.E.D. stands for High Energy Electrolyte Drink, and that's how the Hammer folk are marketing it. I use 2 scoops in a 24 oz bottle, and I get 200 calories, 50 g carbs, and various amounts of sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and manganese, plus a couple of amino acids - not a bad brew. I guess you know the Perpetuem ingredients. I usually use it as a drink, but I have had success mixing it as a paste in a flask - 3 scoops Perpetuem with a 1/4 cup water, stirrred to a batter-like consistency. I even experimented around with trying to cook it like a pancake, figuring that it would make a terrific solid food to add to my Bento Box, but it tends to either burn or take on a texture similar to that of melted plastic. Hmmmmmm. Back to the drawing board, I guess. (I'd love to make this work!)
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
..although I found G Push sucked as far as taste and didn't seem to give me enough calories at all.
So am I the only one that actually liked the taste of GPush? I found it quite addicting, cold or warm...
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perpetuem with a 1/4 cup water, stirrred to a batter-like consistency.

I can't get the stuff to mix at all. It is in globules, and floats or sinks. I mix with water and Hammer Gel, and endurolytes. Perhaps I am making HEED? Am I alone in havin mixing problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you can mix and match anything with plain maltodextrin.

I mix in a tiny bit of orange flavored protein powder (6g) and some endurolyte (from e-caps) powder.

Pretty anything will work for taste... powerade, gatorade, crystal lite, kool-aid, Raro (a kiwi drink), grenadine, bar lime, etc.. get creative! Personally I hate a lot of "taste" to my sport drinks.

All you really need is the malto for long-chain glucose, and some electrolytes (best to use a COMPLETE electrolyte replacement, NOT gatorade). The protein is personal preference.

Carb-Pro has fancy marketing saying it's malto is superior to "other" maltos. B.S. I say. I've used other maltodextrins and they all keep me going just the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked gpush as well - I started using it before the 2000 Wildflower when TriCalifornia announced it would be the drink on the course. I believe it was the following year (might have been 2002...can't remember), I received an email as a registered participant for Wildflower from Terry Davis (aka TriCalifornia) stating that gpush was being replaced as the company was having financial difficulties. My first thought when I read this was well, if they were having financial difficulties before and the race director of a major event just made it public, then their problems were just beginning. This was a few years ago, but I believe the replacement was Gatorade (mind you, Gatorade at the time was a USAT sponsor that provided drink to race directors for races over 300 participants).

At the time, the rumor was that TriCalifornia was asking a significant amount of money to be the exclusive drink sponsor. Therefore, Gpush as a small company couldn't afford the asking price and bowed out.

I am asking in earnest if anyone knows the true story behind this as I've somewhat held a grudge about this for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [gcpicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gcpicken, ya gotta stir like crazy and also be prepared for something that is a bit lacking in smoothness. In a flask in will not be as consistent as a gel, but I find that the added "body" of the batter makes it seem as if it is more of a foodstuff. This seems to please ny body.

Maybe you are making something approaching HEED when you mix Perpetuem with H.G. and Endurolytes! It would be interesting to hear what Dr. Bill at e-caps would say about such a concoction. I suspect you must be compromising the benefits of one or more of those products, or else they would've marketed it before now. On the other hand, they do recommend mixing H.G. with Sustained Energy, and the Endurolytes powder with H.G. in a flask, so I guess what you are doing is okay. Most recently I mixed the Endurolytes powder with HEED at Eagleman, and that saved having to think about popping Endurolyte capsules. Good luck with your creation!
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
..although I found G Push sucked as far as taste and didn't seem to give me enough calories at all. So am I the only one that actually liked the taste of GPush? I found it quite addicting, cold or warm...

I like the taste of Gpush too. Gpush is one of the few drinks I can drink when I don't feel like swallowing. I've switche to accelerade, another drink a lot of people don't like the taste of.
Quote Reply
Re: The death of G-Push [GinaM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wouldnt be surprised, Terry D seems to do everything to lower his expenses, but then only raises the entry fees. He must be building churches around the world with the kind of income TriCal pulls in.

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Rocketboy - we can go in a buy a 50lb bag and split it.
Quote Reply