Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe she will come here and have the experts explain everything wrong with the equipment choices and position she used to win a race.

Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice of Crowie to loan her his helmet from '09 too ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few possible explanations!

She had been in Gran Canaria for a training camp. Perhaps she only had the one bike with her?

Her goal is Olympic Gold. Perhaps she just isn’t prepared to spend time on a TT bike to deter from that goal?

It was a very technical course and maybe thought a road bike was appropriate?

I am sure she doesn’t care about the Slowtwitch rule book regarding Bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically just her std ITU setup, right down to the two large frame mounted bottles.

It’s a slow setup that def cost her time, but she has the engine to still win.... much the way Ledecky could wear a training suit and still crush everyone in the 1500.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the course is pretty hilly with about 1500m of climbing, based on
Gpx file. Nicola claims it was about 2000 but that sounds like a bit too much for a 70.3.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guns ! Could drive a truck between her arms. She’s a jet though, and has been for a long time so congrats to her !
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Maybe she will come here and have the experts explain everything wrong with the equipment choices and position she used to win a race.

It’s on purpose. Part of Sutto’s plan in preparation for Olympics. He likes her racing a couple 70.3s in the lead-up to these big races, to make her strong without smashing herself over shorter distances. And using the exact same equipment she’ll use in Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Gpx file. Nicola claims it was about 2000 but that sounds like a bit too much for a 70.3.

what was norden riding (national TT champ)?

IamSpartacus wrote:
The guns ! Could drive a truck between her arms. She’s a jet though, and has been for a long time so congrats to her !

noticed that too, im a bit jealous hah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it's important to consider that we've bought an oversold line w/r/t bike aerodynamics. i definitely realize how marginal gains work and i understand why a modern tri/tt bike is faster theoretically (and maybe even in the wind tunnel) than a road bike.

but...

just like gustav iden at nice, nicola was not exactly riding a clunker. it's a modern aero road bike with decent wheels. and, more importantly, it's suited to the course. real world trumps wind tunnel, every time. i know for me there are plenty of courses where i know i'm faster riding a bike with drops and sti brifters rather than bullhorns and bar-ends.

anyway, good on her.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Basically just her std ITU setup, right down to the two large frame mounted bottles.

It’s a slow setup that def cost her time, but she has the engine to still win.... much the way Ledecky could wear a training suit and still crush everyone in the 1500.

Oh boy.

Is that weight shaming I hear?
And mansplaining?

Thin ground for this kind of comments these times.
But I guess it’s ok as it’s online.
You wouldn’t say that to her face, wouldn’t you?
She won because she brought her A game. Equipment + Fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Oh boy.

And mansplaining?

Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Oh boy.

And mansplaining?

My sarcasm and pink fonts don’t seem to work for these kind of comments.

Just bottle setup:
Have you ever tried to refill your hydration reservoir from course-provided bottles while being on a climb?
You can’t make up the time you loose there by the minimal CdA gains from aero hydration.
Unless you can descend like Jan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
G. Belson wrote:

what was norden riding (national TT champ)?

https://www.instagram.com/p/COCnZ1krQ9k/

Looks like her standard Tribike.
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Oh boy.

And mansplaining?

Some day I hope to be as woke as you.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Just bottle setup:
Have you ever tried to refill your hydration reservoir from course-provided bottles while being on a climb?
You can’t make up the time you loose there by the minimal CdA gains from aero hydration.
Unless you can descend like Jan.

this is part of what i meant. i did a really hilly half last summer, and i was really, really glad to not be riding a steep, aero sled. screaming through downhill hairpins with an integrated front end, splashy brakes, and etc . . . no thanks. any small time gains you'd make on the (relatively limited) flats through aerodynamics would definitely be lost on the technical side.

Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her goal is the olympics and this is just a tough course to get some hard training in on her short course set-up. She didn't care about this race other than to go super hard and use it as some good strength training. she's done it for the Mallorca 70.3 before Rio and also in Norway.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Oh boy.

And mansplaining?

This is mental! Are men seriously only allowed to comment on male athletes now?
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy is going to need a solid lead out the swim, its going to be fascinating seeing them two face off on the bike in Tokyo, they may just wreck each others races doing all the work themselves in the panic.
Quote Reply
Re: The bike spirig used to win challenge Gran Canaria [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You assume the race happens....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply