Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The best all around wheelset for all types of racing?
Quote | Reply
If you were to choose just one wheelset for all types of racing (TT, crits, hills, flat etc...) what would you choose and why?

Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
404 + 808 firecrest carbon clinchers or the comparable from Flo or Hed.

Shallow enough up front deep enough to handle is all types of winds, stabilizing rear.
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404s or similar depth for me. Also with a $100 wheel cover, even if it isn't exactly in the spirit of the question you asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808/jet9/flo 6 rear (or similar)
404/jet6/flo 6 front (or similar)

Because that would be the fastest wheelset allowed in all types of racing 99.9999999999999999999% of the time that also is almost never going to bother you in bad crosswinds

then bring a wheelcover for tts

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enve 3.4. Light enough for quick acceleration and hill climbs and more aero than deeper non torroidal rims. If you want deeper, go 6.7, but my first choice would be 3.4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jet 4 or Zipp 303. You get the benefit of an aero wheel but the versatility to cover crits, hills, and all conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a smaller/lighter guy...I would opt for the 303/404 combo. I have a set of 303 and 404 tubulars. I'll throw the 303 up front if its really windy out. Not sure I really want to be spinning that 808 out of each corner in a crit. More of a spinner vs a masher.

Last edited by: S2ipp: Mar 6, 13 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
202/404 because I am primarily a road racer that likes climbing. Getting down the mountain is just as important as getting up and I descend faster (confidence) on the shallow front.
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [CTwhippet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTwhippet wrote:
Enve 3.4. Light enough for quick acceleration and hill climbs and more aero than deeper non torroidal rims. If you want deeper, go 6.7, but my first choice would be 3.4.

deeper wheels accelerate quicker too! =)

Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [S2ipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew I would get a comment on that one, but couldn't recall the physics to know whether the aero advantage of the 6.7 would overcome the lower moment of inertia of the 3.4. Overall, just too ignorant on this physics stuff and look for others to interpret for me.
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [CTwhippet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTwhippet wrote:
I knew I would get a comment on that one, but couldn't recall the physics to know whether the aero advantage of the 6.7 would overcome the lower moment of inertia of the 3.4. Overall, just too ignorant on this physics stuff and look for others to interpret for me.

it does!

its sort of a bike racing collective cognitive dissonance that crit racers 'know' they need light wheels but match sprinters 'know' they need disc wheels, isn't it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be in my head...but the demo pair of 88mm Novatecs "felt" like they were more work than my 404's. The Novatec 88's were clinchers on 21c Spesh turbo vs my 404 FC tubs with 23c Vittoria.

Quote | Reply
S2ipp wrote:
Could be in my head...but the demo pair of 88mm Novatecs "felt" like they were more work than my 404's. The Novatec 88's were clinchers on 21c Spesh turbo vs my 404 FC tubs with 23c Vittoria.

Might have been, the 404 is probably more aero AND lighteR! haha

Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol...those Novatecs felt like I was rolling through mud. Maybe I just didn't air them up enough. :p

Quote | Reply
S2ipp wrote:
Lol...those Novatecs felt like I was rolling through mud. Maybe I just didn't air them up enough. :p

always be sure to compare wheels with the same tire too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTwhippet wrote:

x2, except I'd take the 6.7s I have some Hed Jets (90s), Zipp 404s and Enve 65's and the Enves are my fav overall (aero, weight, stiffness). They are awesome in crits, holding speed great, stiff as hell chattering through bumpy corners.

Last edited by: rroof: Mar 6, 13 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that money is no object, Enve 6.7s with any hub you like.
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [S2ipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely in your head. Anyone who tells you they can feel stuff like that is full of shit. Same with BB flex/fork flex/spoke flex under acceleration. To discern stuff like that you have to eliminate so many other variables that it becomes ridiculous to even make such a claim.

The difference in energy required to accelerate a 404 vs an 808 is SO small compared to the energy expended in accelerating the average triathlete up to speed. During the course of accelerating I'd venture to say that the drag changes due to the position shifts/changes of the cyclist has at least a 2-3x greater effect on power required than the switch from a 404 to 808 does.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the 404/808 (tubular) setup for several years, and maybe it was in my head, but I just didn't like the feel of the 808 rear in criteriums. Maybe it was just the sound that it made, or maybe there was something more to it, but it felt like that wheel was going to slide out on me on tight courses. (and I don't use crazy high pressure in the tires.) I fully recognize that it may be in my head ... but I figure that's important enough -- if you're not feeling comfortable then you're not going to ride well.
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus I think 808s look funny on most road bikes. So that has got to count for something.

I like the 303. Says you're trying to be aero, but not trying TOO hard. Any deeper and it looks like you're trying to steal speed.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it certainly isn't giving up much to have a 404ish wheel on the rear instead of an 808

especially with the new firecresty wheels. The gap seems to be much less between the deep and semi deep.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why must all the greats be so pricey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trithink wrote:
If you were to choose just one wheelset for all types of racing (TT, crits, hills, flat etc...) what would you choose and why?

~50mm carbon clinchers.

e.g.

Quote Reply
Re: The best all around wheelset for all types of racing? [thekonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thekonas wrote:
Why must all the greats be so pricey!

These aren't so bad...http://www.bontrager.com/model/09776

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next