Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Tour de Farms through the Illinyese w/o Lance.
Quote | Reply
Well, I tried my Tour de Farms today, a 43.3 mile bike course touring the farmlands of North Central Illinois. Lance never showed up. Left me a cell message about some hot chick he had to go see. But, fitty (50 Cent) showed up, so we headed off. I've never seen a diamond-laced HRM until today.

Temp was 26, wind 15 mph from the NW. Windchill -15 to 0 or so the mediacom homepage said. The course is an out and back with turns every 5-7 miles or so, so you spend as many miles into the wind as you do with it at your back. Most of the roads are country roads that have the appearance of being anchient sedimentary rock. There's about 4 miles of baby smooth interstate on this ride, just enough to remind you the big difference between highway grades.

2 Things I noticed right off. [1]45 minutes in my water bottle froze (I had 2 gatorades in the backpack), and 50 just won't shuddup with these "Did I tell you I was shot 9 times?" crap. Dude, I listen to the album. I know the story.

It really wasn't too bad. At about 1:45:00 into the ride, I could feel that my underclothes were wet and the wind was cutting right to them. I had on long johns, a hooded sweatshirt, another sweatshirt, and a white nike outdoor running shirt (shoulda thrown on my old college baseball windbreaker type jacket). My feet were absolutely numb (2 pairs of socks), and my hands were stinging (2 pairs of gloves). I was getting cold, and had another 1:30:00 to go.

I decided I'd skip the last 10 mile jaunt that includes some pretty good hills (which I call the Illinyese) since half of it was directly north into the wind, and by now I was really cold. So, I have 35 minutes to go and 50 starts in with the same story about how he's been shot nine times. I tell him to shut up and reach for my sawed-off that is mounted to the top tube, and he knows I'm not playin' and apologizes and shuts up. We head for home.

All in all, 33.3 miles in 2:20:14 (14.3mph avr) with 9 different versions of Fitty getting shot, and an average HR of 152. I tried to stay under 150, but when you're going directly into the wind on a cold day the only way you're staying under 150 (or at least for me) is to get off the bike and walk it.

-------------------------------------

After flip-flopping a few times, I signed up for the Iron Horse Long-Course Regional Championship ... or whatever it's called. I did it for days like this. Without signing up for this race, I would not have ridden outside. I would have went shorter. I would have chosen an easier way to train.

I want to stare down the course and have it blink first (figuratively).

I want to have the region's best blow me away and illustrate to me just what I need to do to get where they are.

I want to see if when the times comes, whether I'll forge ahead or if I'll quit.

The race will help my training stay focused and disciplined. Even if I bomb the race, $99 for 5 months of serious training is worth it.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply