Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread.
Quote | Reply
Results. Predictions. Surprises. Heartbreaks. Outrages. Whatever. (But not betting. There's another thread for that.)

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyway, we have some exciting finals fast approaching: M/W400mIMs, M400mFS, W4x100mFS relay. And the Katie Show soon begins.

I suspect that Australia is going to kick major ass.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really looking forward to the 400IM tonight on both sides.

Also what's the line up for the 10km open water. This year it is in salt water vs London (Rio also Salt water) but I assume water temp is hotter in Tokyo. Do you guys have update on how hot the ocean is in Tokyo? I assume this could be factor
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lewis Clarebut to take out 400 im. Looks like both 400 ims will be close.
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, If the water is close to the 30c/85f mark, it will change the race I am sure. I swam in some lakes and pools in Texas near those temps and it's not fun, and at the athlete's high output, downright dangerous. I really think they should lower the temp threshold. Fran Crippens death still sticks in my head when talking about long, hot swims.

https://www.infobae.com/aroundtherings/ioc/2021/07/12/tokyo-2020-releases-the-latest-odaiba-marine-park-water-test-results/

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Dev, If the water is close to the 30c/85f mark, it will change the race I am sure. I swam in some lakes and pools in Texas near those temps and it's not fun, and at the athlete's high output, downright dangerous. I really think they should lower the temp threshold. Fran Crippens death still sticks in my head when talking about long, hot swims.

https://www.infobae.com/aroundtherings/ioc/2021/07/12/tokyo-2020-releases-the-latest-odaiba-marine-park-water-test-results/

This is what I was thinking about (Crippen at the race in UAE). But it looks like water temp is around 25-26C right now.
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Kalisz only swim 60 seconds for his final 100 free today. I think I saw 3:09 at the end of the breast leg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Did Kalisz only swim 60 seconds for his final 100 free today. I think I saw 3:09 at the end of the breast leg?

In the just completed final, Kalisz indeed did "only" swim 59.95 for his last 100 m but he was far enough ahead after the breast to win by almost a second. Jay Litherland of the US came in 2nd with Brendan Smith of the Aussies 3rd.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about them Tunisians?

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that kid is only 18 cranking out a 3:43 !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noticing after 400 IM and free how winded these guys are on the interview. must be total hypoxic swimming
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

In the just completed final, Kalisz indeed did "only" swim 59.95 for his last 100 m but he was far enough ahead after the breast to win by almost a second. Jay Litherland of the US came in 2nd with Brendan Smith of the Aussies 3rd.

I thought he was going to end up with a 4:06 but he did what he needed to do!!!

And how about Sarah Sjostrom in the 100 fly semis after having her arm broken in Feb/Mar? Not sure if she started slower than normal intentionally or out of neccessity
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 24, 21 19:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

SwimSwam chatter is that everyone is now equally dead in their pick 'em pool. And that Ahmed has a couple nice swims somewhat under the radar at Mare Nostrum this year. He's at an age where it's normal to have that kind of magical break out race.

When he was looking good about 150 meters in, I was telling the husband that, yes Tunisia does have something of a distance swimming tradition and I'm serious.
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is your pick for this W 400IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I'll take Emma and the Japanese teen
Quote Reply
Re: The Tokyo "2020" Olympics Swimming General Discussion Thread. [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it, but the Aussies are already underperforming.
Should have won the men's 400IM & 400 free.. We just can't seem to perform to our best on the big occasions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

How come these Japanese IM swimmers are so good on the breast stroke leg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I thought he was going to end up with a 4:06 but he did what he needed to do!!!

And how about Sarah Sjostrom in the 100 fly semis after having her arm broken in Feb/Mar? Not sure if she started slower than normal intentionally or out of neccessity

Sjostrom often takes out 100 fly a bit slow then storms home. At least that’s my recollection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
FLA Jill wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

How come these Japanese IM swimmers are so good on the breast stroke leg?

My guess is heavy emphasis on technique in the 10& under years. Yui Ohashi's backstroke is Ryosuke Irie level of pretty too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking forward to Simone racing in the 4x100 in spite of a bad trials.

Go Canada ....hopefully a Penny vs Simone smackdown like Rio
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 24, 21 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sjostrom lead off with 54.03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am looking forward to Simone racing in the 4x100 in spite of a bad trials.

Go Canada ....hopefully a Penny vs Simone smackdown like Rio

Wow it was like Rio 100 free finals between those two all over again
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 24, 21 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

Ya, that kid came out of nowhere, he wasn't on anyone's radar at all!!! But these sorts of things happen regularly at big meets with young swimmers who can make big drops in time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
And that kid is only 18 cranking out a 3:43 !!!

I remember a post by "velocibuddha" a few yrs ago where he said his enthusiasm for swimming took a nose dive when he saw Kieren Perkins go 3:58 for the 400 lcm at age 13, in the heat right after his heat wherein he went 4:09 at age 17, which was a PR for him. He was quite happy for about 10 min, before Perkins' 3:58. On the bright side, he got into Dartmouth in large part due to his relatively high swimming skills. It's all relative for the vast majority of swimmers. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watching both the 400IM's again (men and women), they both won it on breast stroke. Kalisz seems to catch and glide way better....and even though he paid on the 100 free, he just had a ridiculous buffer. I think moral of the story is the biggest losses or gains can happen on the breast leg. Hosszu was still in medal contention in the W400IM leading into breast out of lane 8, but the breast took her out of a medal.

Is there anywhere we can find the official splits easily?
Quote Reply

Prev Next