Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sunday AM, still can't see it on Apple

But every time I do a search on "slowtwitch" it brings up a picture of Ben Greenfield.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Known issue we're working on. Thankfully Spotify picked it up pretty quickly.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Known issue we're working on.

Maybe a temporary fix would be to remove the Ben Greenfield pic ?
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Artlist :)

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
And today she posted one with Laz Lake ... I don't see that going well for her

It was about as cringe as I expected it to be - a middle-school "Intro To Journalism" take with someone she's only vaguely heard of - she had no idea of the Backyard Ultra format, and said "I want to sign up for one"

Opening question "Would you rather know the future or change the past?"

I wanted to dump right there, but in the Spirit of Laz, and the Backyard especially, I had to go to the end

I'm kinda glad I did

Once she finished her bullshit "get to know you" questions (which might be a schtick of hers, I dunno), got out of the way just let Laz talk, it was not that bad

Laz told a haunted house story, which I don't think had ever been revealed anywhere else, so that was a scoop for her

Out of respect for Eric & Ryan (or Ryan & Eric- who's getting top bill here?) I will not derail their thread by posting a link

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: May 22, 23 3:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting.

What is the RSS link?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the alert for Episode 2!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hooray! Something we did worked!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just letting you guys know that I listened to eps. 1 & 2 via Google Podcasts and have had no issues. Looking forward to more episodes!
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for listening...

E-DUB

Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That rainy day came and I finally listened.

CAVEAT - I am not much of a podcast person. I can read MUCH faster, and I think most podcasts have too much drivel and waste my time. I also think many/most podcasts could deliver the message much more efficiently and entertainingly. I would include these in this category. I really like both of you guys so I really don't want to be overly critical, but I think this could be greatly improved. Just rambling is not very interesting to me. I know these are hard to do, but under the ST brand these have to be better than the others and I don't think these are/were. These were not my cup of tea.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: May 28, 23 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still not available on iTunes?
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still working on it. Coordinating that has proven slightly more challenging than originally anticipated.

Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
That rainy day came and I finally listened.

CAVEAT - I am not much of a podcast person. I can read MUCH faster, and I think most podcasts have too much drivel and waste my time. I also think many/most podcasts could deliver the message much more efficiently and entertainingly. I would include these in this category. I really like both of you guys so I really don't want to be overly critical, but I think this could be greatly improved. Just rambling is not very interesting to me. I know these are hard to do, but under the ST brank these have to be better than the others and I don't think these are/were. These were not my cup of tea.

I listened to both episodes.

Ryan said something in the first, something like "we have a very large rolodex we can call on". I think this is the thing they need to leverage. There are definitely areas where Ryan and Eric's experience is interesting, but their own opinions are not enough to fill up an interesting podcast. I think they needed to set the table in episode one. I think they did this quite well.

I think they need to bring in experts in the various fields they plan to explore. A great formula would be : pick a topic, bring an expert and possibly fire up a specific Forum thread to discuss. Or fire up a thread, announce a guest, take questions, do the podcast and follow up discussion in a specific thread. This would be very unique. Nobody has the mechanism to do this like ST does.

For episode 2, and maybe I am just sensitive here, but I heard a strong bias towards IM and a negativity towards the PTO. That sensitivity may come from other actions and comments, and/or having a personal bias myself. But I believe it dilutes the "fiercely independent" mantra. For me, Joe nobody in the triathlon world is ok, for ST, not so much. Very much an opinion there, others may have heard it differently.

Having a forum is a pretty unique situation. You can do things nobody else can. But you also have a forum for criticism which you probably have to be pretty think skinned to handle. I hope the above comments were not just perceived as criticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
A great formula would be : pick a topic, bring an expert and possibly fire up a specific Forum thread to discuss. Or fire up a thread, announce a guest, take questions, do the podcast and follow up discussion in a specific thread. This would be very unique. Nobody has the mechanism to do this like ST does.

An even further extension would be a live stream where Forum users could comment in real-time

What a circus THAT would be!!! LOL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listen to podcasts a lot. Half of my library is triathlon related ones, and I must say I enjoyed the first two episodes a lot.
Of course it can be improved (as anything), but aspects like audio quality, variety of topics, and “rhythm” between the hosts were very good in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
marcag wrote:
A great formula would be : pick a topic, bring an expert and possibly fire up a specific Forum thread to discuss. Or fire up a thread, announce a guest, take questions, do the podcast and follow up discussion in a specific thread. This would be very unique. Nobody has the mechanism to do this like ST does.

An even further extension would be a live stream where Forum users could comment in real-time

What a circus THAT would be!!! LOL

There have been people on the forum with an absolutely incredible amount of knowledge. Best athletes (pro and AG), best scientists, best coaches, best RDs.....many have left, some are still around, there is an opportunity to engage many more. Other than that big rolodex, the forum is STs biggest asset. And biggest liability.

I have heard dozens (if not hundreds of times) "I read for the info, I would never engage because of the way people flame/ridicule......"

Make a set of rules for "Podcast threads" and even "article threads". Moderate those threads to a new level. Give a yellow card if needed, red card for the hard core a-holes. Tolerance is the lavender room greater than the regular forum greater than the podcast interaction threads. Maybe it needs a new section. Others are better at figuring this out than me.

FYI, "escape collective" does podcasts live with their discord channel and it works just fine. There are many things to learn from their model. I seems to be working out quite well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your post is more than fair, for what it's worth.

A couple of items:

1.) if you're expecting a podcast with a weekly guest, you may want to find something else to listen to. We will have people on, or a third chair in at times (or even ones where Eric or myself aren't on and it's someone else in there). But we're pretty strict on when we release, and we want it to be timely discussion, so we won't be doing a ton of pre-produced interviews and stuff. More often than not it'll be just Eric and I.

2.) For the few times we do decide to have somebody on, there will likely be a forum thread seeking out a few questions for that subject, of which it'd most likely be me doing the heavy lifting on deciding what winds up being asked.

3.) I don't disagree that there's at least some degree of bias with IRONMAN, at least in part in the North American marketplace. They've won the war. Consumers continue to vote with their feet. The PTO tried something interesting with age group racing, and it didn't pan out. My hope with the PTO is that they can figure out who they are going forward -- but as Tim Heming recently wrote in Triathlete on the subject, I think you're starting to see the money starting to evaporate a little bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the pod landing on Apple Podcasts - I can't download another app in order to listen to another podcast; I've got too many apps as it is!

Thanks for the hardwork you two!
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [EvanF-C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EvanF-C wrote:
Looking forward to the pod landing on Apple Podcasts - I can't download another app in order to listen to another podcast; I've got too many apps as it is!

Thanks for the hardwork you two!

Looking forward to Apple Podcast availability too.

Regards, Richard
3D Bits and Pieces - https://www.printables.com/@thetrickster_793480
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [EvanF-C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EvanF-C wrote:

#1stworldproblem

I treat apps like I treat race shirts - if I get a new one, have to donate/delete an old one (or two)

ETA: Apple isn't only one I don't use, actually

I use Spotify, Bandcamp, both 'Clouds (Sound- and Mix-), and TuneIn for streaming radio stations that don't have their own apps

Last edited by: RandMart: May 28, 23 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
But we're pretty strict on when we release, and we want it to be timely discussion, so we won't be doing a ton of pre-produced interviews and stuff.

This was another thing that I really appreciated ... when you said "last weekend" it actually WAS last weekend - I didn't have to do calendar gymnastics

Other podcasts I listen to will say "we're recording this at ..." such & such a race, two or even three weeks ago, or someone will say "I have this coming up in a couple weeks" so we already kinda know how things go = "nope, didn't work out that way" or "betcha surprised yourself there"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
if you're expecting a podcast with a weekly guest, you may want to find something else to listen to

I followed your advice.

There is this really cool podcast. The interviewer is a ST user (Josh) and the interviewee is a ST founder (Dan). They are pretty good :-)

https://podcasts.apple.com/...4247?i=1000615018678
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are sorry we aren't giving you what you want all the time.

E-DUB

Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Podcast is Here [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewynn wrote:
We are sorry we aren't giving you what you want all the time.

<pink> some of the time would be good enough </pink>

I am kidding. If I wasn't happy, I wouldn't be here.

I meant it as a way to highlight Dan's great performance on a great podcast.
Last edited by: marcag: May 30, 23 10:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next