Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Poster "RA" Here Did A Great Job Writing For ESPN
Quote | Reply
http://sports.espn.go.com/...mns/story?id=1903901

And he didn't even mention here that he was writing for ESPN either since he posted here. There's probably not one bit of vanity in his body. This wasn't one of those home made I"m going to Kona logs, either. Chosen by ESPN. Attorney from Orlando who posts here. I thought his accounts were excellent, and ESPN used it.

And he finished strong. Talks about passing Simon Lessing and trying to beat Ryan Sutter.
Quote Reply
Re: The Poster "RA" Here Did A Great Job Writing For ESPN [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how he talked about telling jokes out on the course in kona. This year in Lake Placid at the 9 mile mark on the course where the big hill into town hits my race started to plummet and I was feeling pretty bad for the next 5 or so miles. shortly after the turn around there was a guy on the course who said something that cracked me up and that helped take my mind off of the pain and disappointment of falling off of my pace. He and I played cat and mouse for much of the race and his humor helped out a ton. I can't remember his name but he was from colorado.

Robert good job on the write-up and congratulations on a finish on a tough day out in the lava fields.
Quote Reply
Re: The Poster "RA" Here Did A Great Job Writing For ESPN [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert is a first class guy. I have had the pleasure of his company during our long rides over the past several months. Always upbeat and positive toward our sport and life in general.

I have advised him to give up that Attorney day job to train and write full time. However, I believe his family obligations will cause him to think otherwise.

In any event, Cheers to Robert for a job well done on and off the race course.

Jim

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Booth,

You "outed" me! ;)

You and the other posters, my buddy Jim included, are way too kind. This was a ride of a lifetime for me. I am way too fortunate to have been accorded this opportunity.

I'm thrilled with the coverage ESPN gave Kona. They rarely cover IM. They ended up packaging my 5 stories with a few others, giving our sport front page coverage on one of the 12 main sections for about 8 days. I think one of my articles is still on the main page. One of ESPN's top journalists and broadcasters - Tom Farrey from Outside the Lines -- came with me and witnessed this grand event. He was mesmerized. He has already pitched another story idea to ESPN.

Don't know where this all heads, but hopefully is a step toward educating the viewing public on what we do (i.e., why we ride on the road and do not deserve to get hit, yelled at or become the target for beer cans). Perhaps greater ESPN coverage can in the future lead to more mainstream viewing. Imagine the day when we can see on TV, what I saw live: Stadler just destroying the field coming back from Hawi, Lessing and LVL sitting on the side of road totally demoralized, Christian Sadowski walking his broken bike in to t2, and young pros like Yamima Isley finishing despite having a miserable day for her.

Being racked next to Ryan Sutter, I was also able to form my own opinion of this guy and his entree into our sport. My first meeting with him was when he was getting circled by TV cameras, which basically knocked me away from my bike while I was getting ready. Ryan immediately told them, nicely, to back off so I can prepare myself. That is not the action of a camera ham. He seems like a very decent guy that prepared himself well for this event. Kudus to him.

Now I'm back at work and totally euphoric (and still sore).

Thanks again.

Robert
Last edited by: RA: Oct 21, 04 13:28
Quote Reply