Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.?
Quote | Reply
Podium girls in the Tour of California. It's a well-intentioned convention in bicycle racing going back to the early 1900's. At the RBTT Fatum Bank Triathlon in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles they had podium girls at the award ceremony. They presented awards to all age groupers regardless of gender with a polite kiss on either cheek as you so often see in countries outside the U.S., a rather quaint and charming custom.

I wonder if if this convention dates the sport of cycling already reeling from drug scandals and sometimes odd "arrangements" that make it difficult for younger, newer audiences to relate.

Personally, I see the tradition behind it and understand the motive- to maintain traditions from the past. I doubt everyone agrees.

Is using podium girls at the awards too dated and "un-P.C."? I don't think so, but I'd be intersted to here if I am in the minority on this....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's tradition and fine. In fact, at a few of the bigger women's races here they have had podium dudes. I like that idea!

I believe the TOC gals are from http://www.umbrellagirlsusa.com/.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm......I hadn't even thought about it. Non-issue for me.

EDIT: If I were racing, knowing one of those girls were waiting for me at the podium might eek out a few more watts at the sprint!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Last edited by: brandonecpt: Feb 21, 08 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They seem more PC and more classy than your average pro football cheerleader. If you want to talk about outdatedness, then we should talk about that instead.
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I think the entire cheerleader thing is so dated that most of the sports teams have re-designated them as "dance teams" to make them appear more P.C.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's where I'm at with it. I think the idea of using men for female events is also appropriate. I seem to remember actually reading an advert in Triathlete for a women's only race that mentioned, "Men in tuxedos will award jewelry at the award ceremony".

Much ado about nothing....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personnally I have no problem with it, also remember it isn't only cycling with podium girls, they are used fairly extensivly in motor sports as well, it likely started with cycling, so we can at least claim tradition but what about monster trucks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... why did this topic come to mind for you? Interesting thought though. Non-issue for the 99th percentile I would think, but I'm sure there are others who disagree. On a side note speaking of Curacao, NT I just got back from there last week from 10 days worth of training (and lounging of course). I love the early morning rides and the ocean swims. Oh, and the beer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Did you touch my drumset? Nope. Why are you so sweaty? I was watching Cops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone who has a problem with Podium Girls really needs to get a grip.

it's a century old tradition, they're not scantily clad, and a peck on the cheek is as risque as it gets.

I have no problem with Podium Boys either - let the Womens have their fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P.C-ness is over rated and in my opinion causes more issues then it's solving. Keep the girls but make sure it's respectful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about "booth babes?" At just about every type of trade show you will find them. No problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Absolutely. I think the entire cheerleader thing is so dated that most of the sports teams have re-designated them as "dance teams" to make them appear more P.C.

What has been done to the sport of cheerleading saddens me.

When I was younger, the cheerleaders' job was to lead the cheers and get the crowd into the game. I made the junior high cheerleading team because I was loud and spirited, and I beat out girls who were far more coordinated than I was. In high school, the emphasis was on fancy formations and cheerleaders had to call on the band (of which I was a member) when they wanted to get the crowd yelling. (They'd get the trumpet section's attention and ask the band to respond when the cheerleaders yelled their cheers. The crowd followed the band.)

Now, it seems like cheerleaders are so busy doing acrobatic-type stuff that they're too busy to even make a pretense of leading the crowd in cheers. Maybe schools need to distinguish between "pep squad" (loud, spirited guys and gals who can get the crowd excited at games) and "dance teams" (girls who do fancy acrobatic stuff and don't take part in games), and get rid of "cheerleaders" altogether.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'...the bigger women's races...' so how big are these women? ;-)

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>'...the bigger women's races...' so how big are these women? ;-) <<

How's this? Liz Hatch from Vanderkitten

http://bp2.blogger.com/_B8J-Lj9xRco/R5vrZ5y-tUI/AAAAAAAAANw/qr4tocDub5Q/s1600-h/sneak_peak.jpg

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it wasn't for the podium girls... no-one would watch the awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PC is passe. I think people realized they couldn't go running around getting their undershorts in a wad about everything they didn't agree with. Sooner or later it paints you into a corner you can't get out of when the other PC fairies turn on you for something you never intended.

Podium girls have a choice and they are remunerated for their efforts. Unless that equation changes we aren't going to see them disappear anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoa! that's pretty big....meow indeed

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're seeing an increase in pretty serious injuries among dance teams and cheerleaders too. It is actually a dangerous activity when combined with elements of gymnastics and tumbling.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are podium boys, but they're never hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you'd get the answer you're looking for if you posted this on the womens forum
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Meebo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are podium boys, but they're never hot.

They are in NorCal....

http://bp0.blogger.com/...96125_4628cde446.jpg

http://flickr.com/...t-72157602777401880/

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever made it to the podium for a cycling race, I would not at all object to Tom Boonen or just about any top male track cyclist in white spandex shorts handing me my award and kissing me on the cheek. I don't mind objectifying if it is a two-way street ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was hot enough I would totally be a podium girl. The chance to kiss a fast, hot athlete.... score!

;-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to sound creepy or anything, but I think you are hot :-)
Last edited by: Maui: Feb 21, 08 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: The Politics of the Podium Girl: When Tradition and P.C. Diverge. What Say You S.T.? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I was hot enough I would totally be a podium girl.

geez, you says you aren't hot enough?

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply

Prev Next