Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel 2nd at 70.3 Michigan today... not a bad deficit on the swim, gave up a little chunk of time to Jackson Laundry on the bike, ran a 1:09 to pull within 10 seconds at the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a good effort, nearly clawing back 2 minutes on run to Laundry in race with Foley, Appleton and Sharpe competing as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really good swim from Lionel, but surprised that he got out rode, especially by a minute by Trevor Foley. Has the apprentice surpassed the master? Of course then Trevor is now a lot slower in his run, the give and take of triathlon..
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I'm surprised at his seeming backwards progress on the bike the last year. Maybe he's getting his run faster and will work back around to the bike?

His successful 2022 WC St George strategy seemed to be to not fight for the front of the bike and trust the run to deliver. But that seems to be the move on a hard hot bike and run course.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like at some point near half way he caught Appleton and then they traded pulls the back half of the ride. They lost an additional 1 min in that time to JL interestingly enough. I'd say good result for LS all things considering.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing Trevor knew his position was more or less locked and jogged it in knowing he has 70.3 Augusta in 7 days.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm guessing Trevor knew his position was more or less locked and jogged it in knowing he has 70.3 Augusta in 7 days.

I don’t know about Michigan run course but he will do well in flat Augusta run course. Does anyone know if LS racing in Augusta on coming Sunday? I think I saw somewhere he was going to.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the whole podium is racing again. As well as Marty Andrie and a few others.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toj wrote:
Lionel 2nd at 70.3 Michigan today... not a bad deficit on the swim, gave up a little chunk of time to Jackson Laundry on the bike, ran a 1:09 to pull within 10 seconds at the finish.

Jackson had the ventum so… hahaha

Just kidding.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
It looks like at some point near half way he caught Appleton and then they traded pulls the back half of the ride. They lost an additional 1 min in that time to JL interestingly enough. I'd say good result for LS all things considering.

So all the jokes about the Ventum, it can't be that bad if he's consistently pulling away from strong bikers right?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Ya, I'm surprised at his seeming backwards progress on the bike the last year. Maybe he's getting his run faster and will work back around to the bike?

His successful 2022 WC St George strategy seemed to be to not fight for the front of the bike and trust the run to deliver. But that seems to be the move on a hard hot bike and run course.

Pretty sure sometime before Milwaukee he put out that he was only doing 6-8 hours of riding per week and that he wasn't super surprised that he was going backwards. This was around the time that Sam Long was blazing his way to glory leaving Lionel somewhere mid-pack. He has definitely put in more work on the bike since then (he has started posting on Strava again) but I'm not super surprised to see him not be the "uber" biker you would normally expect.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kingy wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Pretty sure sometime before Milwaukee he put out that he was only doing 6-8 hours of riding per week and that he wasn't super surprised that he was going backwards. This was around the time that Sam Long was blazing his way to glory leaving Lionel somewhere mid-pack. He has definitely put in more work on the bike since then (he has started posting on Strava again) but I'm not super surprised to see him not be the "uber" biker you would normally expect.

this one stuck out to me, and was another of my frustrating moments with lionel.

like, if you want to do well as a professional, you have to know that it takes more than 6hrs of riding per week.

and if you actually are doing more than that, why pretend to be doing less? i remember that a bunch of people were answering him in earnest, all amateur triathletes telling him their favourite workouts or ideas for building weekly volume and stuff. were he and talbot just sitting there laughing at them?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s back to the UCI legal canyon too. He seems to be upset he can’t get the fit right on the tri. But is that from a comfort, aero, or power standpoint? He did 333w on 70.3 michigan according to strava, can’t imagine Laundry doing that much but still was behind him.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
He’s back to the UCI legal canyon too. He seems to be upset he can’t get the fit right on the tri. But is that from a comfort, aero, or power standpoint? He did 333w on 70.3 michigan according to strava, can’t imagine Laundry doing that much but still was behind him.

Pretty sure he's wasting watts because of his position, not the bike. I'm not sure how much he can actually improve his bike position, he always seems to be moving around and leaning towards the right, which is the same leg he "drags" when he's running. Probably some mobility issues that were never addressed?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

So all the jokes about the Ventum, it can't be that bad if he's consistently pulling away from strong bikers right?

All it means is that he would have gained even more time on them had he been on a faster bike....
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or that the supposed downsides are exaggerated in the real world and we just make fun of him for riding a goofy looking bike, while the pro cyclists do the same to us.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced and spoke with Trevor and Erin. Lionel and Trevor both said racing Augusta.

On the bike when I passed (other direction) Jackson was out front approx .5 mile when I passed Lionel and Appo right on Lionel’s wheel.

I was surprised to see the deficit that large when they got off the bike. Seemed much closer.

Lionel was at the awards, many people wanted to talk and get pics. He stayed until there was no more line. Say what you will about the guy, he was very personable.

Trevor it seemed like nobody knew him, I met him in Chattanooga when his GF was racing and he remembered me and we chatted a bit. I asked him why he gave up the P5 to ride a canyon. Ha. He seems like a solid dude.

(Also, as a side note, speaking with Lionel’s mom, she DNFd. Support said derailleur issue, but seemed wasn’t, ended her day early.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying in general but didn’t Lionel say he was done with IM after the imaginary center line fiasco? I don’t remember what his words were exactly but interesting seems he’s already going back on that. Maybe I’m misremembering
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there too and saw them coming back on bike and was surprised by gap.

I came back to awards ceremony because my training partner was hoping to get a worlds spot, which she did. I chatted with Lionel for a little bit and he is genuinely a nice guy. I also met Tamara at restaurant, super nice and down to earth gal. Canadians :)

I saw Trevor but didn't approach him as I had no idea what to say to him and only know little bits about him. Besides Lionel, the only other pro that I saw that had fans approach them at awards was Lauren Brandon.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He meant full distance and said prior to the centerline.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you the peeps standing next to me? I took a slot also right next to you guys I think.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, I'm the asian guy with shaved head. We were originally standing by Jackson Laundry, Laura Brandon, Jackie Herring and I think Matt Sharpe. I thought it was interesting and cool that Jackie Herring stayed in the Betsie River camp site in a cabin like I did.

We made way to tent because I spotted Lionel. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a fanboy especially since I was born in Windsor.

Congrats again. Maybe I'll see you in NZ. My training partner who took her spot is trying to convince me to be her sherpa.
Last edited by: hubcaps: Sep 19, 23 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackson rode 325w AP per strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched. Did I understand this correctly?
He took the aerobars 10mm lower and went right to the race without riding the bike first?
Can someone remind me what is the #1 advice ST gives people new to the sport about racing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next