Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are ari and lionel twins separated at birth

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
monty wrote:
"How was Sam fatigued in Oceanside"
He wasn't, dont feed the troll..He may have looked fatigued because it was the one race this season where he didnt get to do his own pace, and someone was stretching him to his limits on the run. . . . But when you are head to head on the run with someone surging, attacking, and basically keeping you from your comfortable race pace, of course you are going to look bad if you're getting dropped.

Sam has just been on fire this entire season, and I havent seen one instance of where he has suffered from racing or the travel. Seems like 100% top fit and tapered races he has had, which is a real testament to his coach at the moment...
Think Long burnt additional matches on the bike at Oceanside as he, with purpose, "surged, attacked, stretching him self to his limits" in the last 30km an effort to drop the last rider in the train whom he thought was Geens. And we know that was actually Riele (@TriSki20 OTP): Geens had dropped off and entered T2 3+ minutes down. Geens ran faster than Long (so the rationale was good). But Long had an eponymous companion 12m back who turned out to be the main competition.
Would've been good to see a rematch in San Francisco but I'm guessing that won't happen.
Good to see you give his coach due credit: so often their influence isn't noted.

This is awesome. We are talking about Sam Long's racing and Sam Long the coach in a thread about Lionel. The internet can officially be shut down now!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 11, 24 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is all coming full circle.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: May 11, 24 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried and did my best. We had a little head of steam up for awhile, but alas, it fell to the back pages.

We just need sam to get out there once again, time to do an ironman and get himself really in the series conversation...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng%20thread#p8111973
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talbot just posted a video on Strava in Germany with Lionel running. He's going to race Hamburg?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kingy wrote:
Talbot just posted a video on Strava in Germany with Lionel running. He's going to race Hamburg?

Probably at the canyon wind tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I am curious if Lionel Sanders is in the Las Cruces, New Mexico area currently? I did my long run today and would swear that I saw him running. Same stride, tattoos, mustache, etc.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is doing a livestream tomorrow on the Canyon_Road page on IG.

Last edited by: Lagoon: May 15, 24 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Kingy wrote:
Aerow wind tunnel: owned in partnership by Coach Geesmann.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
marcag wrote:
Kingy wrote:
Aerow wind tunnel: owned in partnership by Coach Geesmann.

ya, it opened in the last few months. A few Canyon athletes have been through.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:

Looks like he made some changes - conveniently in front of the cockpit but BTA bottle much further back, I believe that rear bottle wasn't part of his set up before...the man is getting dialed me thinks.

Interesting to see the cockpit set up, arm angles and if there is a helmet change. Exciting times in LS's world - also was running while there per Talbot's strava!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Looks like he made some changes - conveniently in front of the cockpit but BTA bottle much further back, I believe that rear bottle wasn't part of his set up before...the man is getting dialed me thinks.

Interesting to see the cockpit set up, arm angles and if there is a helmet change. Exciting times in LS's world - also was running while there per Talbot's strava!

Hydration was the last thing he had to test. He did very little in the tunnel, unfortunately what he found fastest was since banned. The rear bottle was always there during some testing.

I am curious to see what he comes out with. His road and A2 tunnel testing had very good correlation, so interesting to see if his findings are complementary or if he goes in another direction. If I had to bet, I'd say he ends up with a custom cockpit now that he has found a sweet spot.

There is one thing pros (and AGers) are not doing and need to be doing to is check their testing optimizations are seen in long test rides. Formal testing numbers are theoretical until they translate into race results.
Last edited by: marcag: May 16, 24 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

There is one thing pros (and AGers) are not doing and need to be doing to is check their testing optimizations are seen in long test rides. Formal testing numbers are theoretical until they translate into race results.

How would you suggest we AG'ers test this? I get some pretty long sections of road on the weekends to stay aero. I've always wanted to find a way to get some aero data or baseline data on these training rides but have struggled to get anything meaningful or that I believe. Best bike split seems ok but not great. Chung doesn't really work for this either.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the question I'd like to ask Marc is: how long should the long test ride be?

Because the protocol would probably be to do a simple out and back 2+ times at the same power, different setups, measure times, make sure the weather and wind direction hasn't changed considerably?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel just said his baseline run in the tunnel was .233. Yikes. He got down to .208.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
dfru wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Hydration was the last thing he had to test. He did very little in the tunnel, unfortunately what he found fastest was since banned. The rear bottle was always there during some testing.

I am curious to see what he comes out with. His road and A2 tunnel testing had very good correlation, so interesting to see if his findings are complementary or if he goes in another direction. If I had to bet, I'd say he ends up with a custom cockpit now that he has found a sweet spot.

On the livestream with Canyon Talbot just said new cockpit AND new helmet...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he's doing Lake Placid, was that already announced?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.. he said on one of his youtube videos months ago. He still needs to qualify for Kona.

Shaved legs and arms were a big improvement for him as well. Not sure why he didn't believe in it all these years especially after specialized posted their youtube video on it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
marcag wrote:

How would you suggest we AG'ers test this? I get some pretty long sections of road on the weekends to stay aero. I've always wanted to find a way to get some aero data or baseline data on these training rides but have struggled to get anything meaningful or that I believe. Best bike split seems ok but not great. Chung doesn't really work for this either.

BBS is as you say OK, not great.
MyWindSock is a bit better.
Lionel had a small device that is basically an aerometer. He raced with it in Indian Wells. That is the best way with someone to monitor it if the athlete is not so inclined himself. We have been using it with the pro riders with success. They go out on their TT bikes and do 20min efforts say and we measure those.
Last edited by: marcag: May 16, 24 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Yes.. he said on one of his youtube videos months ago. He still needs to qualify for Kona.

Shaved legs and arms were a big improvement for him as well. Not sure why he didn't believe in it all these years especially after specialized posted their youtube video on it.

This is almost too cringe for me, honestly. Has been common knowledge for years… must be a gimmick for the video because I have never seen the guy with hair on his legs in any of his videos
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a gimmick

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nillsvdb wrote:
stevej wrote:

This is almost too cringe for me, honestly. Has been common knowledge for years… must be a gimmick for the video because I have never seen the guy with hair on his legs in any of his videos

It's not cringe. If I were to believe every video showing something saves you 10 watts, then I should be able to reach 50kph with negative watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
It's not a gimmick

dammit, imagine if lionel had taken all this crap seriously 10 years ago!
honestly, i've been shaving down for big races for YEARS. we did at swim-team kids when i was a teenager. c'mon, lionel!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine if 10 years ago he took 6 months to completely focus on swimming

He would have a swim technique which doesn’t go away. And his run and nine would have come back in a few months
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
It's not cringe. If I were to believe every video showing something saves you 10 watts, then I should be able to reach 50kph with negative watts.

This. People are quoting the numbers released by Specialized years ago in a YouTube video as if they’re gospel. Or, “common knowledge”. 😂Meanwhile in every avenue other than hairy legs we expect peer-reviewed studies published in reputable journals and confirmed by countless other peer-reviewed studies published in reputable journals… and then it’s natural for the mainstream scientific view to evolve. But hairy legs? Duh, a watt per hair, obviously!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next