Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The March Swim Challenge Thread
Quote | Reply
the March swim challenge starts TOMORROW! Who wants to be on the virtual swim team again?

Here's how you play:
Set a goal (# of swims a week, goal yards, goal time for an event or time trial... I'm flexible) - email me if you need an invite to the google spreadsheet,
http://spreadsheets.google.com/...5509544873&guest

(the usual request for spreadsheet help - it has the totals section from February - how do we clear that?)

You can post workouts and stuff on this thread, put your yards/meters into the spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

I'm in for 100k... with 2 meets (the one at the end of the month is a big deal)

Happy swimming!

love
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 29, 08 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One person emailed me so now we've got 2, that's half a relay team... who else wants to play?

(BUMP!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play again. 55000 for the month.

Finished off February with 1650 at the Portland Y today to give me 50600 for the month.

Thanks for starting this again TC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm down for 50K. Wonder what will derail me this time!?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 60k. With 1 big meet at the end of the month.
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm down for 50K. Wonder what will derail me this time!?"

LOL! Me too! I'm in for 50 also. The weather is getting better and I need to B and R more, so, keeping the goal more modest/realistic this time.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [mike_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, no laughing.

I'm starting back training for tri's after a 9 year layoff of doing not much more than martial arts training, and about 10 years of layoff before that. Swam competitively for 19+ years, but that was a long time ago.

I'm shooting for 2 workouts per week, hoping to get 10k in this month.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back to the pool! :)

If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Welcome back to the pool! :)
Thanks! It was a rude awakening, I got in the pool for the first time a couple weeks ago, thinking "No problem, I'll knock out a quick 1500 and head to dance class" (In addition to martial arts teaching/training, and the tri stuff I'm adding, I also take Irish Dance, influence of my wife, on Friday nights).

I got about 150 yds in, watching underwater as some guy doing breaststroke zipped past me, and crawled halfway into the gutter gasping like a 1/2 dead whale. It was pretty humbling. ;) Still managed about 1500, although by the end it was swim 50 free, 50 breast, rest 1 min.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You, my dear, will be fine. We will both have a month free from shoulder injuries :) sound like a deal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Swam competitively for 19+ years, but that was a long time ago.[/quote]

Welcome back to the fishbowl.

Did you swim in college?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I probably won't swim 20k today, I don't think I'll make my Feb goal =(, but this was really fun, soooo...

I'll be in for 50k. I'm back to biking full-time, and the PT cleared me to try to run on Monday so hopefully HOPEFULLY! I'll be spending a bit more time running this month. It'll cut into the pool yardage, which is sad, but it's ok-ish. Swimming's hard work...

---
justin

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Did you swim in college?
Kind of. It was really weird, I had a scholarship offer (Small NAIA school in Colorado), and midway through the summer workouts, I walked into the pool and just suddenly couldn't stand the smell of chlorine or the thought of getting in the pool (I was 21, been swimming since I was 4). Coach took one look at my face, and said "You're done, aren't you." Next year they axed the swim team entirely, I'm hoping that's a coincidence :)

Good guy, though, pulled a couple strings and got my scholarship shuffled over to cross country.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 60,000m and 25 swims for the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fixed the March spreadsheet, (mostly) but I still haven't been able to get the first column, the one with the dates, etc., in it to float over the others as you scroll to the right: very handy for those of us who sign up later. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

I met my admittedly modest February goal after being out of the pool completely for 3 months with shoulder problems, (I was just starting to really swim regularly) so, I'm in again for March. I'll go crazy and say 30,000 this time. :-)

(not a fish except by sun sign)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect timing. I'm sitting here on the couch reading ST procrastinating going to the pool. I did the challenge in Nov and Dec and didn't make my goal either time, but I did swim WAY more in those two months than I have in any other month since IMWI06, so I'm going to really really try to do it this time.
My goals are to swim at least twice a week and total 18,000 yards at the end of the month.
I like these challenges, but I think I need more severe consequences for not reaching my goal (other than floundering around in Lake Monona in September).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]You, my dear, will be fine. We will both have a month free from shoulder injuries :) sound like a deal?[/reply]

Heh. It took all of 1 day last month before I re-injured my back and missed most of Feb. And my knee surgery 3 weeks ago was a bust and a mistake. I won't even go into the chronic hamstring and shoulder problems!

I have a long history of missed athletic goals. Some are just amazing twists. And people wonder why I no longer am a believer in positive thinking!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like fun. But I'm definitely not on the same level as most of ya'll. Sign me up for 30,000 yds. How do you work the whole spreadsheet thing?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the spreadsheet - you will need a google account. PM me your email address and I'll invite you to the spreadsheet.

I am headed to the pool in a couple minutes I think.

Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like these challenges, but I think I need more severe consequences for not reaching my goal (other than floundering around in Lake Monona in September).[/quote]
hmmm.... if we were having a virtual meet I'd make you swim the 400 IM and 200 fly if you missed too many virutal practices...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for 35000. This should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [regis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome! let me know if you need spreadsheet access (PM me your email if you do)
saturday morning swim practice
500 w/u
5 x 100 work the last length

4 x [4 x 75] on 1:10 (1:30 on the "fast" set)
-50 easy/25 fast
-50 fast/25 easy
-fast
-easy

2 x [4 x 25] on :30
-build
-1/2 sprint

400 easy
2 x [50 breast + 150 free]
4 x 100 IM
2 x 100 free
1650 just to feel the distance of it (21:49)
6 x 100 on 1:30 desc 1:18-1:12
50 easy

6,200 yds for the day. Shoulders and arms have that heavy/sore feeling, the same way your legs get when you're running lots.

Quote Reply
Re: The March Swim Challenge Thread [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in Nov. I started with 40k which was by far the most I'd every swam in my life (by over 10k). Now I am up to 60k which is not a lot for many of these fishies, but I have already dropped 2.5 mins off of my 1500m pool time. Hopefully another 1.5-2 mins will come off by may-june!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez you people are putting in some serious yards 50-60K- where do you find the time. I think will joing my first swim challange and shoot more for a speed goal than a distance goal.

I did a set of 100's (meters) the other day with the last set of 4 on the 1:15- I'll shoot for 6-8 on the 1:15

so there it is.....6-8 100M making them all on the 1:15

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Did you swim in college?
Kind of. It was really weird, I had a scholarship offer (Small NAIA school in Colorado), and midway through the summer workouts, I walked into the pool and just suddenly couldn't stand the smell of chlorine or the thought of getting in the pool (I was 21, been swimming since I was 4). Coach took one look at my face, and said "You're done, aren't you." Next year they axed the swim team entirely, I'm hoping that's a coincidence :)

Good guy, though, pulled a couple strings and got my scholarship shuffled over to cross country.

John
That's how I ended up playing waterpolo, just got burned out on swimming when I was in high school, it's hard to keep it going after 10 or 12 years!

Quote Reply

Prev Next