Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by BT_DreamChaser
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was clean back then?

I mean, they’re all clean now, but at that time it was rampant.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Who was clean back then?

I mean, they’re all clean now, but at that time it was rampant.

Fixed that for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interview Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_x4ucbReo

How many people sued other people over the lie and vehemently denied it?

LA will forever and always be the worst thing that ever happened to US Cyling - end of discussion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Who was clean back then?

The guys who chose to walk away from the sport rather than give in. Or who chose to ride in relative anonymity. I can name a few.
Last edited by: trail: May 31, 19 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he was an asshole. Doesn’t mean he’s wrong about bringing a gun to a gun fight.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Doesn’t mean he’s wrong about bringing a gun to a gun fight.

He was wrong. Breaking the rules, lying about it, and coercing others to maintain the lie about are all wrong. Full stop.
Last edited by: trail: May 31, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Who was clean back then?

The guys who chose to walk away from the sport rather than give in. I can name a few.

Exactly. If you wanted to be competitive, that was the price of admission. No one at the very top was clean. You could do it, or leave.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re confusing being morally in the wrong with being wrong as on “making an incorrect statement”

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

LA will forever and always be the worst thing that ever happened to US Cyling - end of discussion

Nobody would know what US Cycling is today if it wasn't for LA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You’re confusing being morally in the wrong with being wrong as on “making an incorrect statement”

I didn't watch the podcast. Was just replying to your statement taken at face value. Rationalize away....
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Yeah and US Cycling would've been better off without him cause now so many equate LA to US Cycling and doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I didn't watch the podcast. Was just replying to your statement taken at face value. Rationalize away....

You’re taking my response to the OPs statement at face value, therefore missing half the context because the OP deleted his post.

I’m not rationalizing anything. I was responding to a specific statement that you’ve taken out of context

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Yeah and US Cycling would've been better off without him cause now so many equate LA to US Cycling and doping.

Yeah because cycling is clean now /pink

People equate cycling in general to doping. I agree that no one would know about US Cycling, outside of cyclist, if it weren't for LA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

------

Was there a coach in the 80's or 90's that was knowingly doping juniors without their permission/acknowledgement?

ETA: Apparently the coach (Rene Wenzel) + USAC "settled out of court" the lawsuit.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 31, 19 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished watching much more sympathetic than I have been in years. He's a man who has been forced to be humble by circumstances. If would have been better if he had come to that point on his own, but some folks, when forced, find a bit of humility. All the headlines I saw were controversial saying that he would not change a thing. He appears to have found honesty and now enjoys it. He can't say he would change the drugs situation or nothing he knows now would be the same. He would not be famous, or infamous. If I was out riding and ran into him on the road, I would love to chat with him and talk about life. I don't think I would have said that before watching him now.
As for his detractors, well, they have plenty of reasons to not like him. However, if you still watch professional sport, including cycling, if you still watch the Tour de France, then you are the hypocrite now, not him. Cycling tried to bury him and attribute all the ills of his generation to one man while giving a free pass to everyone else. When the Tour fires its main commentator, an admitted drug user, when it takes away the titles from Fignon, Delgado, and anyone from about 1990 to 2010, when it acknowledges that the sport might not be clean even now, then they will start to look credible.
I was glad he did not comment on today's cycling and gave good reasons for not doing so, but I think you could see it on his face that he wanted to laugh.
It was good for me to see that someone that I first admired, then detested has gained a measure of wisdom.
Last edited by: cdw: May 31, 19 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

I surely hope this was just off the cuff. USAC is dying, but not because LA was outed as a fraud. USAC would have been dead 15 years ago if it wasn't for LA. I think triathlon owes some of its numbers to the LA effect too.
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree a lot of my friends including me got into cycling b/c of LA, in fact a whole generation. Even though we are not pro we have bought tons of bikes, gear, clothing etc that gave life to the industry for at least 15 years.
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I finished watching much more sympathetic than I have been in years. He's a man who has been forced to be humble by circumstances. If would have been better if he had come to that point on his own, but some folks, when forced, find a bit of humility. All the headlines I saw were controversial saying that he would not change a thing. He appears to have found honesty and now enjoys it. He can't say he would change the drugs situation or nothing he knows now would be the same. He would not be famous, or infamous. If I was out riding and ran into him on the road, I would love to chat with him and talk about life. If don't think I would have said that before watching him now.
As for his detractors, well, they have plenty of reasons to not like him. However, if you still watch professional sport, including cycling, if you still watch the Tour de France, then you are the hypocrite now, not him. Cycling tried to bury him and attribute all the ills of his generation to one man while giving a free pass to everyone else. When the Tour fires its main commentator, an admitted drug user, when it takes away the titles from Fignon, Delgado, and anyone from about 1990 to 2010, when it acknowledges that the sport might not be clean even now, then they will start to look credible.
I was glad he did not comment on today's cycling and gave good reasons for not doing so, but I think you could see it on his face that he wanted to laugh.
It was good for me to see that someone that I first admired, then detested has gained a measure of wisdom.

That pretty much nails my thoughts too after watching the interview.

Betsy A has been ranting about this interview on her FB page, about how he "hasn't changed" etc etc. I certainly didn't get that impression from watching it. Or maybe he's just a really good actor and has at least some of us fooled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
...USAC is dying, but not because LA was outed as a fraud. USAC would have been dead 15 years ago if it wasn't for LA...

Huh. First off, USA Cycling isn't dying around here.

Second, careful what you wish for: without USA Cycling and cycling in the Olympics the sports we love might be reduced to the occasional gravel ride.

Third, it sounds like for you Lance still can't do wrong. I'm not a fan.
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Betsy hates him with a passion (and fairly so, IMO) so I don’t really expect her to change her opinion of Lance’s character.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I finished watching much more sympathetic than I have been in years. He's a man who has been forced to be humble by circumstances. If would have been better if he had come to that point on his own, but some folks, when forced, find a bit of humility. All the headlines I saw were controversial saying that he would not change a thing. He appears to have found honesty and now enjoys it. He can't say he would change the drugs situation or nothing he knows now would be the same. He would not be famous, or infamous. If I was out riding and ran into him on the road, I would love to chat with him and talk about life. If don't think I would have said that before watching him now.
Well said, I agree with all of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow. We are allowed to post threads about he who would not be named again! Great - Slowtwitch just got really interesting again!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: The Latest Lance Interview [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
ripple wrote:
...USAC is dying, but not because LA was outed as a fraud. USAC would have been dead 15 years ago if it wasn't for LA...

Huh. First off, USA Cycling isn't dying around here.

Second, careful what you wish for: without USA Cycling and cycling in the Olympics the sports we love might be reduced to the occasional gravel ride.

Third, it sounds like for you Lance still can't do wrong. I'm not a fan.
1 - pockets of the country still have a strong USAC presence. Some of the old strongholds out east/northeast/mid-atlantic are shadows of their former selves, which were very strong mid-80s to early 00s.
2 - I wish USAC was strong as ever, it's hard to pinpoint what the problem is
3 - No. He was an asshole. I was a fan, it was "understood" he was doping, that was the game. He was a jerk about it I just didn't agree with the comment made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling dying is kind of like Boxing dying. Without an American Heavyweight, who cares?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next