Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Boston Marathon experience
Quote | Reply
I met Des Linden and her husband Ryan in Kona in 2016 I believe and later I saw her win the Boston Marathon on that cold miserable day in 2018. That fully inspired me wanting to go to Boston and I tried to qualify that June at a race called the New River Marathon. That course is quite tough but that is not what did me in. I knew I needed to run at least sub 3:25 (as a then 53 year old) and figured I would be able to do this on pretty much any course. I however tore my mensicus that day and really noticed it around mile 19. I ended up limping home in 3:37 and that was that. I was operated at the end of July and started running again in early October and then built up to another qualifying effort. I did the Tunnel Marathon in June of 2019 and by that time I needed 3:35 for my new M55-59 age group. I ran well and had a great negative split (1:43 and 1:34) and finished in 3:17. So I knew I was in, but then with Covid tere was no Boston Marathon in April 2020, September 2020, nor in April 2021. But finally it happened in October 2021 and I was in.

My wife and I left the kids with the grandparents and flew up on Friday during the day. Our hotel was very close to the finish because I booked it very early, and that was super convenient. Especially that amazing Tatte Bakery.

On Saturday morning I had a time slot where I had to show my Covid vaccination card to get my race bracelet and after that I could go to the package pickup. The Organization was incredible and there were tons of volunteers and I had to wait nowhere in line. The merchandise area was super popular and I was among very few black sheep without the famous blue and yellow Adidas Boston jackets. My wife snapped a few pics of me there and then we left.

I tried to be as mellow as possible as my legs still could feel the load from the Orcas Island SwimRun two weeks prior , but they were not too terrible. Somehow though we still managed over 20,000 steps each day. I ran 5 miles along the river on Sunday and spun a little on a Peloton bike in the hotel gym. And with the race time coming closer I was finally nervous. I knew that there was no way to finish up high overall in my age group, so that was not an issue, but the event is simply so big that it really grabbed me. Imagine Kona times 8 in terms of starters and families and friends. My goal however was to have fun and ideally run a negative split - two things I should be able to control. But I knew that negative split running on that course is very hard.

On race morning my bus to the start left at 8:15am so that allowed me a solid breakfast in the hotel restaurant at 6:30am and since I was super close to the bus departure spot I was able to stay in my room until late. Everyone on board of the bus I ended up on was super chipper and I felt ready. Interestingly our bus got lost and in the end we got dropped off at the 1 mile marker. That however wasn't a big deal, but I felt bad for the very flustered bus driver. The start was rolling so really it was no big deal. We then walked that mile pretty much all uphill to the start and that was the perfect warmup for me. After visiting the port-o-john and shedding my hoodie, I finally crossed the start line at 9:49am and then ran pretty steady around 7:50 pace. I ran for a long time with fellow slowtwitcher Stephen Helgemo and we had a fun chat along the way and it really helped. I started to push a bit harder at mile 16 and Stephen then dropped back. From then on it seemed I was mostly passing people but was rarely passed. The crowd along the course was amazing and it really helped. I saw my wife 3 times plus saw other friends on the course and at one point I thought why are so many folks yelling my name, but they were not saying my name, they yelled Go Harvard. :-)

The atmosphere was truly amazing, and when I came to the hilly part of the course I still felt great. By now i was running 7:20-7:40 pace and it became clear that a negative split might be possible. The 3 climbs were noticed but were not too bad. Coming into Boston itself was very special, but that last mile was surprisingly hard and I could feel my legs being tired now. Once that final turn onto Boylston came the finish line seemed really far away but it allowed my to soak it really in. The screams from the spectators were great, and I ran faster again and crossed the line in 3:22:46, with a 1:42:40 opening half and a 1:40:06 second half, and I was super happy.

That time also meant that I qualified for Boston again but this race in Boston was likely my last longer road race. Likely only trail racing, SwimRun, and gravel racing moving forward, but the Boston experience is great and I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge congrats Herbert!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a fantastic race report, and congrats on your running shape!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Herbert - great report and great race.

My pace was bang on for the half and just beyond but legs didn't want to co-operate after that and not really sure why but sometimes such is racing.

The Boston Marathon experience is second to none as its a world class event with wonderful people and a beautiful city (and a lot of towns). Logistically (like all big events) its a marvel on how they put it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write-up Herbert.

Mine went a little something like this. Coming off Ironman Indiana and finally having a good race, my goal was to "do" Boston. And do Boston I did. I walked everywhere, met everyone, including our very own Herbert. I stayed out way too late after well, being a single guy in Boston. I got up super early day of the race, drank a ton of caffeine and tried to fake a marathon. That worked for approximately 20 miles and then it hurt like hell. My goal went from sub 3, to 3:15, to just beat your time from the ironman last weekend (barely). Anyway, thank god for the bazillion people cheering us on, because I would not have been able to run those last few miles. lol

But I've never experienced anything like those last few miles. I carried a gopro max with me and looking at the videos over the last few days that crowd was insane, especially the college girls at mile 13. And I loved every bit of it. Now I need to convince myself to leave Boston alone and get back to what I do well and that's bike/run (last I checked I still suck at swimming). Also, marathons are dumb. bahahaha
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report, thanks and congratulations. Reminds me I need to do this race again as my previous was 2013, ruined for obvious reasons although I finished.

I messed up my pacing as well, another reason to get another Q and go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! It’s a fantastic race and event overall.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice summary and awesome race, Herbert!

I'll add a few thoughts on my experience, beginning with the race itself....

I can summarize in one word: explosion. In typical Boston rookie fashion.... went out too fast, blew up the quads and suffered from 14 onwards. I was a bit surprised how early I started to feel bad, but it's what happens when you don't train ANY hills (South Florida) and you think the first few miles felt great cruising downhill. Hah! On top if it, I probably I overestimated my fitness a bit. While I promised myself not to walk a single step (and I didn't!) - the 8 minute miles to end were so painful. Favorite part of the course was definitely having goose bumps for a solid two minutes while passing the Wellesley cheer tunnel. Amazing energy there.

The rest of the experience was OK for me. Race organization/security/etc was fantastic. We didn't arrive until Saturday late afternoon, so I went to the expo on Sunday mid morning and had no line at the COVID verification tent and the expo was not overcrowded either. As I didn't act quickly on the hotel front, the prices were $400+/nt to be downtown by the time I got to booking. So I thought staying out west, closer to the start would be acceptable. But in the end, it just turned out to be too much hassle (not having a rental car obviously). On top of it, the Hampton Inn we stayed at was quite marathon UNfriendly. Absolutely no late check outs for anyone who looked like they were running the marathon, according to management. At any rate, hats off to all those who nailed it out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great summary, thanks for posting. I felt the special vibe and atmosphere too when I spectated my brother in 2018. I hope to do it one day.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. I don't think my 2:15 'buffer' will get me in the next Boston, but I'm planning to try qualifying again in May on a flat course... :)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great report and a great race in a great town. I'm surprised the bus driver got lost. In my times up there it was just a caravan of school buses leaving Boston in one long line. But I'm not surprised that the organization was amazing, BAA really knows how to host a race. Now I just need to get my act in gear to qualify for a future year. I want to hold out to race with my son. But he's just getting into running and at 24 his BQ time is FAST (3:00). It's better to be old and get to run slow.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great recap & run!

I knocked out a pretty even 2:45 (1:22 1st half, 1:23 second half, <1:00 positive split). I think the weather really wasn't great (for fast running) & made adjustments pre-race. Think I can break 2:40 (2:42 outdated pb) with 40s & low humidity. Also didn't know how I would feel post-70.3 Worlds, without the kind of training I would normally get in.

Started off at 6:20 pace. Settled into 6:15s through 25k. Split 6-flat from 15-16 then got ready for the hills. Naturally lost time 16-18. 18-19 was back down to 6:10. Hills did their work 19-21. 6:30s up Heartbreak. Was feeling pretty decent and hit a 6-flat on the graveyard mile. Carried that through 35k but then started to fade a little shortly after that (maybe around 37 or 38k). Muscles were threatening to cramp with every step over the last few miles. Wanted to be pushing harder but lost maybe 10-15s/mile for 24 & 25. Chalking that up to not enough long runs & long tempos in the 70.3 lead-up. Put in a decent surge in the front half of the last mile but went too early. Legs were seizing up down Boylston, which was disappointing. Love the finishing stretch but didn't enjoy it that much. Head was down & the finish line could not have come sooner.

Can't complain. Executed an almost perfect race for me on the day. Came pretty dang close to negative splitting it. I think a lot of people that went out at goal pace probably had a tough time in the back half with 60s & humid. If I had gone out in 1:19 I probably would have run 2:46-48. My HR was what it usually is running 6:00-6:05 pace in good weather at 6:15 pace on Monday. Think I made the right call & had a positive experience. I actually ran a touch slower than my 2018 time. Splits are scarily similar. I ran the hills better this year but closed better in 2018 (went out slightly faster in 2018 too). All of my 5k splits were under 20:00 this year & I had one over that in 2018.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Oct 14, 21 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Wow that is impressive

dcpinsonn wrote:
Great recap & run!

I knocked out a pretty even 2:45 (1:22 1st half, 1:23 second half, <1:00 positive split). I think the weather really wasn't great (for fast running) & made adjustments pre-race. Think I can break 2:40 (2:42 outdated pb) with 40s & low humidity. Also didn't know how I would feel post-70.3 Worlds, without the kind of training I would normally get in.

Started off at 6:20 pace. Settled into 6:15s through 25k. Split 6-flat from 15-16 then got ready for the hills. Naturally lost time 16-18. 18-19 was back down to 6:10. Hills did their work 19-21. 6:30s up Heartbreak. Was feeling pretty decent and hit a 6-flat on the graveyard mile. Carried that through 35k but then started to fade a little shortly after that (maybe around 37 or 38k). Muscles were threatening to cramp with every step over the last few miles. Wanted to be pushing harder but lost maybe 10-15s/mile for 24 & 25. Chalking that up to not enough long runs & long tempos in the 70.3 lead-up. Put in a decent surge in the front half of the last mile but went too early. Legs were seizing up down Boylston, which was disappointing. Love the finishing stretch but didn't enjoy it that much. Head was down & the finish line could not have come sooner.

Can't complain. Executed an almost perfect race for me on the day. Came pretty dang close to negative splitting it. I think a lot of people that went out at goal pace probably had a tough time in the back half with 60s & humid. If I had gone out in 1:19 I probably would have run 2:46-48. My HR was what it usually is running 6:00-6:05 pace in good weather at 6:15 pace on Monday. Think I made the right call & had a positive experience. I actually ran a touch slower than my 2018 time. Splits are scarily similar. I ran the hills better this year but closed better in 2018 (went out slightly faster in 2018 too). All of my 5k splits were under 20:00 this year & I had one over that in 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulation Herbert.
Herbert wrote:
On Saturday morning I had a time slot where I had to show my Covid vaccination card to get my race bracelet and after that I could go to the package pickup. The Organization was incredible and there were tons of volunteers and I had to wait nowhere in line.
This was interesting to me as I have a friend who always volunteers at packet pickup, but is also a huge anti-vaxer. She happily posted pictures of her at packet pickup, so I guess the volunteers don't have to adhere to the same standards as the athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not know that - but in our race we ask both athletes and volunteers to be vaccinated
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, they were indeed in big convoys and when I got on that bus - that one was in the middle of about 30 buses. I have no idea how she managed to lose both buses in front and behind her. There was this story about it in Boston.com

https://www.boston.com/...boston-marathon-2021

TriBri00 wrote:
great report and a great race in a great town. I'm surprised the bus driver got lost. In my times up there it was just a caravan of school buses leaving Boston in one long line. But I'm not surprised that the organization was amazing, BAA really knows how to host a race. Now I just need to get my act in gear to qualify for a future year. I want to hold out to race with my son. But he's just getting into running and at 24 his BQ time is FAST (3:00). It's better to be old and get to run slow.
Last edited by: Herbert: Oct 14, 21 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience. Boston is unlike any other race, for sure. Your race report made me want to shoot for another qualifying time.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been kinda obsessed with qualifying. It's impressive to see you guys' run times. I'm running my first marathon on Saturday. It's probably a 1 to 3 year goal for me to qualify. Thanks for posting the race report! Further motivation to qualify and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report Herbert and congratulations! Boston is worth all of the hype, nothing like it.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for a great and detailed report, makes me want to be a part of it next year !

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston Marathon experience [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is truly a very magical and special event and hard to put in words.

Definitely should be on the bucket list of folks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you had a great experience! Sorry about the bus misfortune, I imagine that must have been stressful! I caught the bus around 7:40 (it was the third group of buses to go) and we got to Hopkinton around 8:40. During the drive out it was apparent the driver was not entirely sure where he was going; at one point he asked the guy in the front seat to help decipher the directions on his clip board. Fortunately we made it there eventually.

It was my favorite Boston experience to date! I was able to run with my brother for the first 25 miles. We went through half right at goal pace (1:19:58). Caught a glimpse of Shalane at mile 12 as we passed the group of runners surrounding her. She then rolled us up around mile 22 as she put together an awesome negative split, and we even ran next to her for 22-23 before she dropped the hammer, a surreal experience for sure!

Legs felt great through the first 16 (as usual at Boston). I'm now 4/4 with the quads deciding it's time to quit at the top of heartbreak. Fortunately, I was able to push through the discomfort and not lose too much time. Although, I don't think my quads have ever been so sore the day after a race - worth it though! Ran a +1:18 second half, finishing in 2:41:16. If I'm being honest with myself, it was about as good of a race as my training allowed for. It was sure great to be back in Boston!

Just have to decide if I'm up for going back in April, or want to do the Boston, NYC double next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year was special for a lot of reasons. It was amazing that the city and the towns along the route turned out again for all of us. My legs felt terrible between miles 8 and 21, but they came together at the top of Heartbreak, and I felt better over the last five miles than I’ve ever felt before.

I had the disconcerting experience of coming across a female runner down in the road at mile 8 with the paramedics working on her. Then, they flew by with her on the back of a cart with her convulsing. I found out after the race that she’s okay (the story is on Letsrun), but it took the wind out of the sails for a few miles.

Really, it was just wonderful to be racing again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next