Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Beatles - 40 yrs ago today (non tri related)
Quote | Reply
Here's one for the oldsters on the forum.

Man, time flies bye. I was in grade 7 and watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show 40 yrs ago today. It was a Sunday night and the next day every girl in my class had watched the show and claimed to be in love with Paul. The Beatles had changed the face of rock n roll forever. A year later the "British invasion" and groups with names like the Rolling Stones, Hollies, Jerry and the Pacemakers, Kinks, Yarbirds, Troggs, Donavan, Marianne Faithful, Chad and Jeremy, etc. completey dominated the pop charts. By that time I was in grade 8, had bought my first guitar, taking lessons and had already formed our first rock band with my buddies. All us guys in the band were fighting with our parents wanting to grow our hair long (which didn't sit at all well with my military officer father and living on a military base!!) and grooving to the music.

As the Beatles matured they stopped singing "she loves you ya, ya ya" and their music joined others as that of the protest movement in the second half of the 1960's. John Lennon became an anti-war advocate, married Yoko Ono and quit the group. I still remember with sadness the day he was shot in NYC.

The Beatles was never my favorite rock band, that honor goes to Led Zeplin, but no doubt the Beatles was probably the most influential band ever. Rock music went from Bobby Vinton, etc. to the British invasion long haired bands almost over night and American music artists copied the trend.

Today when I ride my trainer I'm going to listen to the Beatles while thinking of the times and being grateful to have been born when I was.
Quote Reply
Re: The Beatles - 40 yrs ago today (non tri related) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't around during the British invasion, heck my mom and dad hadn't even met yet. I would have liked to have been there for it, to see what it was like. There has never been another band that has been so influential, they were groundbreakers not only musically but also politically (along with others of the 60's). 40 years on, the Beatles songs are still some of the best ever.

It would have been something to see what they would have done if they had stayed together, and if John's life wasn't cut short. While all of the Beatles contributed immensely, my own feeling is that Lennon was one of the great musical geniuses of the 20th century, and without him, we would still be listening to Frankie Avalon.

My 2 cents.

J

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Beatles - 40 yrs ago today (non tri related) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was only 5 at the time but had two teenage sisters and our whole family watched Ed Sullivan that night. My teenage sons (both musical kids) love the Beatles and I still listen to my 30+ year old vinyl collection of albums when I ride the trainer. People will be listening to Beatles music 100 years from now. I was in college when John Lennon was murdered and remember being completely stunned ("give peace a chance") and depressed for quite some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Beatles? I've tried to listen to them. I simply don't get it. IMO......over rated and I know I'm not alone but I may be the only one to admit it.

Our very own Canadian born "Guess Who" turned out much better stuff and never resorted to "Silly love songs" in later years.

Just my opinion.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: The Beatles - 40 yrs ago today (non tri related) [Aero rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Our very own Canadian born "Guess Who" turned out much better stuff "

They were never in the same league as the Beatles as cultural icons or world popularity. I liked the Guess Who, even saw Burton Cummings in concert in Kingston, Ont. a few years ago, but they were just another of the many bands who followed the Beatles path. Don't forget, they originally called themselves the "British Modbeats", kinda strange for a band from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember watching them on that "really big shooooow", too. I thought they were OK, but my mother knew something big was happening. She began grilling her three boys (heck, we were just kids, not music critics) on the pros and cons of all the aspects of the group. I remember thinking she was acting weird about it all, I thought it was just another act on the Ed Sullivan show and all the hoopla would pass by soon enough. Obviously, I was wrong.

I do think it was funny a year or so ago, when someone was talking about something Paul McCartney was doing...this person said, "What was the name of that band he was in? You know, the first one?" What a child...made me feel old.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply