Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The 11-34 Cassette
Quote | Reply
I'm not a newbie, but this 12 speed stuff is some new (brave?) world stuff. Currently run new 12 speed Ultegra (bad ass!) with 11-30 cassette. For winter, more shallow wheels, I'd like to run an 11-34 cassette. While I wait for the cassette to come in, anyone know how I would know whether I'd need a new chain? I have faint memories of pulling off one chain with 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: The 11-34 Cassette [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will need a long cage RD or a hanger extender (roadlink for example) to make an 11-34 work. You may also need a longer chain.
Quote Reply
Re: The 11-34 Cassette [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
You will need a long cage RD or a hanger extender (roadlink for example) to make an 11-34 work. You may also need a longer chain.

I believe that the Ultegra 12-speed rear derailleur only comes in one cage length to accommodate 11-28, 11-30, and 11-34 cassettes.
Quote Reply
Re: The 11-34 Cassette [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I believe that the Ultegra 12-speed rear derailleur only comes in one cage length to accommodate 11-28, 11-30, and 11-34 cassettes.

Close! Manufacturer spec is minimum of 30, max of 34. OP is good to go.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 105 11-36 using my ultegra 11/36 cassette.

You may need a longer chain when going from an 11-30 to 11-34, depending on how it was initially setup.
Quote Reply
Re: The 11-34 Cassette [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Close! Manufacturer spec is minimum of 30, max of 34. OP is good to go.

Thanks. That's what I thought I read. If I need a new chain, maybe not a bad thing as I can run a "winter" 105.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switch between 11-34 for training and 11-30 for racing on Ultegra 12 speed and have to switch chains although the rear mech luckily doesn’t need any other adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got an 11-34 cassette that I’ve procrastinated installing for exactly this reason … suspect I’d have to change the chain too.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: The 11-34 Cassette [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
I switch between 11-34 for training and 11-30 for racing on Ultegra 12 speed and have to switch chains although the rear mech luckily doesn’t need any other adjustments.

Cool. There it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
m@tty wrote:

Cool. There it is!

Say, do you think I can cheat & just add links?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CN-M6100 Chain is about the price of a couple of Shimano quick links
Quote Reply