Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they don't touch the finish "sign" then they have not finished.We have had some brutal finishes in Oz where guys have been all over each other in the last couple of meters trying to get to that finish board.

Quote Reply
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [jtaylor1O24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, good to know that there is a solution to my woes!

lol

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if there is going to be a medal ceremony here, but in any event, it is always a pleasure watching with you fellows and thanks to Herbert for hosting our get-together.

A pleasant evening to each of you...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I figure it would be a 45:18 IM swim at 1:11.7 per 100m.

It would seem that some of the top swimmers in IM are pretty good. E.g. guys that go 46-48 minutes. Not many, I know.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adios, Tomas.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good night guys. I has been a pleasure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I figure it would be a 45:18 IM swim at 1:11.7 per 100m.\\

You have to make two assumptions when comparing OW times here. First that it really was a 10k, and 2nd, the Ironman you are talking about is really accurate. I have a feeling that this 10k race is a little on the short side, and who knows what any Ironman swim really is exactly..It's more like a road race, it's all about placing, not time....I would think it was closer to accurate if there were a lot of lead changes, and a sharing of the pace, but since two swimmers swam the entire way out front, no pack advantage there in total time....It was basically an individual TT time for the race....
Quote Reply
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some newlywed you are staying up this late.

I guess the honeymoon is over, or is the missus a big swim fan as well?

Goodnight Johnboy.

Quote Reply
Re: The 10K women's swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy that. Although, given this swim venue, you could survey the course pretty accurately, so whatever the distance is, somebody should know it precisely.

Crossing t's and dotting i's, I'd also say that IM is about coming out of the water comfortable, not blown like these gals, so, I would still say for anyone coming out of the water in under 48 minutes in an IM is pretty good. Of course, this ridiculous statement will only hold up until tomorrow, when the guys come out in under 1 hr 50 minutes. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So much nicer to watch the finish after a good nights sleep. Maybe I will go for a 1. 5 hour swim this morning around the lake and pretend
I can swim a 1:02 hundreds. Smile In my dreams

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Fina has updated their website and now the handbook is no longer there (BRILLIANT!) but the 2005 handbook which is in force today states that slipstreaming behind another swimmer is not allowed. Here's how it was explained by thew folks who put on the USA Swimming open water races in Fort Myers.

Why all the drafting?

The way it is called is that drafting behind another swimmer is not allowed but pack swimming *is* allowed.

What separates pack swimming from slipstreaming? Whatever the judges decide the difference is on that day.
Yes, it is ridiculous.

But in this case the result is that two ladies swimming side by side at the front of the race can't go single file, that would be slipstreaming. But the lady behind is free to sit behind them all day as she is considered to be swimming in a three person pack.

I suppose if you are the Brits thinking tactically the thing to do is to split apart by several meters, then the Russian lady won't be able to sit behind either on as she would then be slipstreaming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next