Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent?
Quote | Reply
Were those of us that signed the computrainer 3 year parts contract duped? How much money did they clear on this sham? I am less than one year into it and went to the website and logged in and can’t order anything. Anyone know anything? I contacted them through the site and got this back:

Dear You Got Duped,

Velotron and CompuTrainer were sold separately. SRAM only purchased the Velotron line and we are unable to help with CompuTrainer related inquires. CompuTrainer was purchased by an individual who is not offering support for the product at this time.

I am very sorry that we are not able to help you! If you purchased the 3 year membership for parts within the time frame that your credit card allows chargebacks, you might be able to get your money back that way.

Best Regards,
Jeny
Customer Service Manager
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This something a legal experts needs to be contacted on. Many of us have asked in the past year who purchased Computrainer and never received an answered from anywhere. This is the first time I have heard SRAM "got a piece of the hardware" and wonder what if any plans they have moving forward.
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So happy I dumped my CT shortly before this fiasco. Such a great piece of hardware wasted by a Luddite unwilling to advance/improve with the times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KaiserChief wrote:
Were those of us that signed the computrainer 3 year parts contract duped? How much money did they clear on this sham? I am less than one year into it and went to the website and logged in and can’t order anything. Anyone know anything? I contacted them through the site and got this back:

Dear You Got Duped,

Velotron and CompuTrainer were sold separately. SRAM only purchased the Velotron line and we are unable to help with CompuTrainer related inquires. CompuTrainer was purchased by an individual who is not offering support for the product at this time.

I am very sorry that we are not able to help you! If you purchased the 3 year membership for parts within the time frame that your credit card allows chargebacks, you might be able to get your money back that way.

Best Regards,
Jeny
Customer Service Manager

if you dial that back a little, i'm happy to do my own investigation and see what comes up. if it's going to turn into a mob, then good luck to you, but you're on your own.

i do know that CT was sold to one entity, floscan to another, etc. (there were cycling, marine and aviation divisions as i recall), and then finally, the last piece, velotron, went to SRAM (which i know because i put the two parties together). i don't know who bought CT. (but am willing to try to find out.)

my take: it was certainly not a scam, as in, a premeditated determination to score a bunch of loot on the way out the door. it was an attempt at a business model to change the dynamic, and keep the company going. but not enough people signed up (apparently).

so, i'm happy to investigate this. but if you'd prefer, you can call the FBI and you can tell us in the end how it all turned out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My club has $400 into that program, I voted against it but the club president was a computrainer salesmen and over-rode my objections.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
This something a legal experts needs to be contacted on. Many of us have asked in the past year who purchased Computrainer and never received an answered from anywhere. This is the first time I have heard SRAM "got a piece of the hardware" and wonder what if any plans they have moving forward.

is it possible to stop the mob one it has a head of steam up? you know, with facts, and beside-the-point stuff like that? i don't know. i guess we'll see.

racermate was the parent company, and it had divisions. one was a science division. one was an aviation division. a marine division. SRAM bought the final remaining piece, which was the science division. it didn't buy anything remotely having to do with computrainer. but if you want to fry SRAM at the stake anyway, fine. do you want me to find you the company that bought the marine division? so you can unleash social justice on it too?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a screenshot of the e-mail they originally sent out advertising that program...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What know how was exactly in the science division which is of interest of SRAM?
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
What know how was exactly in the science division which is of interest of SRAM?

the velotron is a very expensive, highly accurate "bike" that is only purchased by educational institutions, labs, etc. it's only used by researchers. it really wasn't so much SRAM proper who had an interest in this, so much as quarq. why? don't know. but if i was quarq i guess i might like to associate myself with the state of the art in power measurement and delivery. that's all i can tell you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Here's a screenshot of the e-mail they originally sent out advertising that program...

yeah, we wrote about this about a year and a quarter ago. a lot of us are in the same boat. i'm in a worse boat than any of you. i have a fair number of computrainers, which i bought, because i use them as resistance units for fit bikes. i'd venture to guess i have more than any of you unless someone in the reader forum audience has a rather large computrainer studio. and, when i hear of computrainer studios upgrading to kickr studios i make a discrete inquiry to see what's going to happen to those old CTs.

so, i've got some skin in this game myself. i'll find out the lay of the land if i can. just, what i'm also finding out are the generic replacements. for example, DIN cables, power supplies, i've made some discrete inquiries about those items because those DIN cables go out more often than anything else (in my experience).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we something like the Wattbike Atom from Quarq in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m here for the ride Dan. Thank You for any help. I need parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacement parts program? I thought the sole remaining upside to a computrainer was that they didn’t break?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the velotron is a very expensive, highly accurate "bike" that is only purchased by educational institutions, labs, H2Ofun, etc. it's only used by researchers.

Fixed it for you....
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First and last sentences don't agree now.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can get the DIN cables from Amazon pretty easily. Also, they have a FTDI - usb/stereo cable adapter that works, too. Not excited to transition to an Ant+ or Bluetooth studio environment, as I've never had dropped connection issues via cabling. I don't look forward to having to run 9 units, all trying to connect wirelessly.

I expect I can keep both my Computrainers working for a long while. I bought a 4 port FTDI serial to USB adapter and it works great.

I helped set up a Wahoo Studio and it seems way more complicated than it needed to be. 2 iPads, expensive lightning to HDMI adapter. WiFi AP, and a special bluetooth/ANT+ thing that I think converted it all to network traffic.

I've seen Computrainer studios with 16 CT's running on 2 computers with 8 port adapters. Easy peasy.
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You win the internets for today!
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Can get the DIN cables from Amazon pretty easily. Also, they have a FTDI - usb/stereo cable adapter that works, too. Not excited to transition to an Ant+ or Bluetooth studio environment, as I've never had dropped connection issues via cabling. I don't look forward to having to run 9 units, all trying to connect wirelessly.

There must be some cycling studios replacing their Computrainers and getting rid of Computrainers in bulk. If not things are bound to show up on eBay. Taking a cursory glance it looks like there are plenty of completed sales and parts in various conditions. $50 for a full computrainer, missing the power supply. That has to be worth at least $100 to buy parts at $50%

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Computrainer or video game system or cars, etc.....doesn't matter.....I'm pretty sure that part of sales of things involves accepting liability to existing contracts, warranties, etc.... Especially in certain states.

I personally couldn't care less as I'm not in that computrainer world. But I'm pretty sure that's often how it works out. You bought the boat, you bought the leaks in the hull too.
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the velotron is a very expensive, highly accurate "bike" that is only purchased by educational institutions, labs, H2Ofun, etc. it's only used by researchers.
Fixed it for you....

Ooooooh......... I can hear the sizzle from here!
Quote Reply
Re: That Computrainer 3 year parts contract was fraudulent? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong. That is the difference between an asset sale and a merger. And why smart companies just go the asset sale route.
Quote Reply