Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tempo run mileage
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone !
Just a question about tempo run mileage. I'm focusing on bike training, with 3-4 sessions/week, 1-2 sweetspot, 1 anaerobic interval, 1 long ride 3+h (british cycling training plan).

I'm trying a BarryP style run training, with 2-3*30min, 2x1h, 1x1h30-2h.

I do strides and during one of the 1h run (medium), I do tempo. My overall weekly mileage is aroung 50-60km. My 10k time is 37'30 (standalone).

I don't do any other run sessions, just stride and this tempo.

I'm wondering what is the best volume for this tempo session ? Will This volume change if I do a continuous tempo run or cruise intervals ?
(tempo pace around 3'50/km)

Thank you !
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo run mileage [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are the tempos? What distance triathlon are you training for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can vary, but ~20 to 60min at threshold to threshold + 20sec pace, respectively.

Intervals allows you do more work (total volume increase) per session.
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo run mileage [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the answers.
I mostly race Half distances and some Oly.

If I respect the 8-10% of weekly mileage in tempo zone, it will be 5k.
Will it be the same if I run cruise intervals ? Are those 5k enough ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d increase some of the tempos towards 10k; start at 5k and increase 1k per week. I ran my best half last summer after increasing my tempo runs to 40 mins (11-12k). You can always break them into 2x20 min if you want to keep the paces up.
Last edited by: re-fresh: Mar 6, 19 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo run mileage [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the answer !
10k, at around 4'/km pace ?

You did it on track ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look for 30% max of the distance you are racing two weeks out from race day. 26.2 marathon, tempo is 8 miles.
Start off 10 weeks out around 15% of the race distance and up the distance around 2 to 3% each week.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo run mileage [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer. And what about the pace for an 8 miles tempo run (37'30/10k Runner) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Target pace is kind of dependent on your goals.

For stand alone running races I set it for what pace I would like to run to finish the event in, within reason. Can't go from 7'/mile to 6'/mile on a whim.

For long course triathlons, I more target the HR range for guidance. High Z3/low Z4 effort and let the pace fall where it may.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading some other sources (JD books), I found those informations:
-cruise intervals allow doing more volume than a continuous tempo run.
-20min continuous tempo run is enough, and maximum T pace should be 10% of weekly volume (being cruise intervals or continuous run)

Riding faster being my goal, I think I'll keep with this conservative approach, in my case:
-5-6km tempo pace/Week (3'50/km if reading VDOT charts)
-I'll do a weekly progression: 6*1000, 3*2000, 2*3000, 5000 continuous at 3'50/km pace. When able to do a 5km continuous tempo run, I speed up

Thank you !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a lot of bad performances in HIM runs when I was in great shape for a standalone 13.1 Run.

I think that it is perhaps wrong to do tempo runs that prepare you for a 13.1 standalone run. (I.e. 4 - 9 mile runs at 13.1 pace).

Maybe it is better to do longer efforts at 26.2 run pace:
How about:
1) 2 hr ride, followed by 8 miles at marathon pace
2) 10 miles easy run, followed by 7 miles at marathon pace.m?

I am not certain just asking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's why I do all my running at 4min/mi. Dream big

TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Target pace is kind of dependent on your goals.

For stand alone running races I set it for what pace I would like to run to finish the event in, within reason. Can't go from 7'/mile to 6'/mile on a whim.

For long course triathlons, I more target the HR range for guidance. High Z3/low Z4 effort and let the pace fall where it may.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Thank you for the answer !
10k, at around 4'/km pace ?

You did it on track ?

Yes, build up to 10km at 4min/km.

I didn't run on a track, but found some flat ground.

Yesterday I ran a ~30 min tempo that was quite hilly, so I went with HR (drifted between 85-90%) instead of pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you got a pretty good template. If you’re super consistent with that, that is the most important thing, and a little bit more or a little bit less at tempo is it not gonna make a ton of difference. it’s that consistency over a long period of time that’s going to make the difference .

Definitely keep up those strides, and if you’re on the treadmill do some 10-12 second Hill sprints.
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo run mileage [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I think you're right, I got my bike training plan, my BarryP run Schedule, then I'll just do with all those advices depending on the day feeling !

Stop thinking to much and train !
Quote Reply