Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tempo Run based on HR or Prescribed Pace
Quote | Reply
Curious on opinions - when your plan calls for a tempo run, should you base that pace off of a pacing formula (McMillan) or based on HR zones? As you might imagine, my HR zone isn't lining up with the pacing based on recent race results. My HR, especially in the warmer weather, floats higher and into the threshold range. It is sustainable, I am running 30-40 min tempo segments currently following pace and not HR as a part of an hour or longer run.

I am 8 weeks out from IMLP. In a perfect world I would obviously work on base fitness to try and bring heart rate down at the faster paces.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo Run based on HR or Prescribed Pace [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HR. IMO it's far more important to work the system that fuels and responds to environmental conditions than holding a pace no matter the effort. If I could tell you how many racers I've seen destroy themselves holding to a pace or a power number despite what the body is telling them. What the body tells you is far more important than what a formula says. HR tells you volumes if you know how to listen and interpret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither, tempos should be based on pe in my opinion. Some days when I'm feeling fresh i'll do my tempos 10s/mile faster, heat/humidity obviously are factors as well.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McMillan's pace range is fairly wide as I remember, if it's sustainable I'd stick with that unless my HR was abnormally high. By abnormally high I mean in the VO2max level.

I wouldn't worry about 10-15 beats
Quote Reply
Re: Tempo Run based on HR or Prescribed Pace [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
McMillan's pace range is fairly wide as I remember, if it's sustainable I'd stick with that unless my HR was abnormally high. By abnormally high I mean in the VO2max level.

I wouldn't worry about 10-15 beats
+1. McMillan gives you a range for daily variables, etc.
Quote Reply