Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash
Quote | Reply
The Dash m50 in particular but I’d be interested in hearing from anyone with a Dash.

I’m coming from an Edge 500 so almost anything is a upgrade. It’s been incredibly solid and I would keep using it but I finally decided to get a Varia. I have no interest in a Garmin 5XX (too many gimmicks, too many bugs) and decided to get the Varia once WAHOO added support. Was waiting for Black Friday deals on a ROAM, but no luck.

Meanwhile a Dash m50 is $175(!) and Stages is adding Varia support. I don’t use Strava and I do not want a touch screen, so the m50 is looking like a killer deal.

Any arguments against a new Dash vs a ROAM (larger, which I don’t really want/need, and over twice the price) or a Bolt (good size but not color and more expensive).
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...no Dash users out there?

Well, if I do pull the trigger I’ll post back and let people know how I like it (or not).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
...no Dash users out there?

Well, if I do pull the trigger I’ll post back and let people know how I like it (or not).

And???

I'm thinking of the L10 - it seems like a great deal for what I need. I have to order today though.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an M50 and really like it. I especially like how much you can customize your screen layout, and I love the power color wheel (not sure if there's a greyscale version for the L10). Stages also pushes out updates frequently so I'm not concerned about it becoming obsolete if/when they introduce a new product. The screen is impressively bright.

Only downside is that it takes crazy long to charge. I have no idea why. The battery life is good though. Plus there's a low power mode that dims the screen if you're running low.

Looks like the L50 is going for $75 for Black Friday – that's a great deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reason NOT to buy-lack of customer service-case: several years ago I ordered a Dash only to receive it and find out, at that point, it would not work with indoor trainers which given the time of the year made it useless to me. I contacted the store and they said Stages would only take it back with 20% restocking charge even though they had not listed this limitation in their ads. Not wanting to leave local store, who had special ordered it for me, in a lurch I paid the 20% and obviously have not supported Stages since. Buyer beware!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [old man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does suck, both not working with indoor trainers and poor customer service.

I also had an issue with the first Dash M50 I got about a year ago – for the life of me I could not get it to clip into the mount that came with the unit. I contacted Dash customer service, they ensured me that it would clip in but that it takes some extra force when both the unit and clip are new. Still, I could stand on the thing and it wouldn't clip in. Turns out I was sent a new M50 unit but an older version of the mount (we figured this out when I sent them some picture). Stages sent me a new mount plus a TT mount as an apology for the mix-up.

So my experience with Stages customer service has been good, but obviously YMMV.

Also, workout mode and trainer control on the new Dash units is pretty slick. I don't use it much since I'm already using Zwift and Trainer Road, but it is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I got an M50 and really like it. I especially like how much you can customize your screen layout, and I love the power color wheel (not sure if there's a greyscale version for the L10). Stages also pushes out updates frequently so I'm not concerned about it becoming obsolete if/when they introduce a new product. The screen is impressively bright.

Only downside is that it takes crazy long to charge. I have no idea why. The battery life is good though. Plus there's a low power mode that dims the screen if you're running low.

I hadnt seen the L50 for $75, but I have seen it for $140 at clevertraining. The L10 is $75 at clevertraining and the stages store.

Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll order one.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an L10 and it's junk. Firmware is a mess. Random whether it picks up the sensor I want or not. Can't hot swap or find new sensors during ride. Very inflexible. All my files are saved as 2016 with no way to change. I've reset it several times and reinstalled firmware but no go. Stages appear to have changed the firmware a few times but have never acknowledged it. Regret buying it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the L10, not happy with it. GPS fix is way to slow, often over 15 minutes. And I have to add my sensors each ride, even if they are already associated with the profile in Stages Link.

Uploading a gpx file for course (bread crumb) is only possible with a premium account.
Last edited by: Jörgen: Nov 29, 20 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:

Where is L50 for $75?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Northy wrote:

Where is L50 for $75?

I assume he meant the L10. I tried to order through clever training , but they’re sold out.

I’ll order one through MEC at c$150. Still half the price of a Garmin edge 130. I’ll just test it out thoroughly when I get it. If I have any issues, I’ll send it back and get a bolt or 520.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, sorry, I meant the L10 for $75. Sounds like the L10 isn’t as solid as my M50 though. Pretty sure the L50 and M50 are much more similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [Jörgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a full reset and then a firmware update. I think they have made some changes to the firmware without documenting it. Things changed for the better sensor wise after I did this but then the filedates got messed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Try a full reset and then a firmware update. I think they have made some changes to the firmware without documenting it. Things changed for the better sensor wise after I did this but then the filedates got messed up.

I just did a (another) factory reset via the menu of the device but my Bluetooth sensor is still there. And no way to update the firmware, because it is up to date (1.2.1).

Are there other options to reset the device?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a way to force a reinstall of the firmware. Might be via the app. I'll have to check.

update: My Dash says Firmware 1.2.0-alpha1109

Stages firmware page says most recent firmware was 1.2.0 released 6/10/19

https://manuals.stagescycling.com/en/dash-l10/firmware-release/

looks like you already have the most recent and they haven't updated the documentation
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Nov 29, 20 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is indeed an early version of firmware and we've added a ton of features including Varia radar, Trainer Control and a bunch of others (and squished a lot of bugs) since then...the latest is 2.4. We've also updated the Stages LINK support app with a bunch of new features so you might want to update your app as well.

For updating Dash firmware....we know Stages SYNC wasn't always the easiest way to do things and so we now recommend people update via this process:

https://manuals.stagescycling.com/...50/firmware-release/

We have another firmware update coming up soon which will add a few more features, and more still planned for 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn’t get a Stages Dash [Sean at Stages] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean at Stages wrote:
That is indeed an early version of firmware and we've added a ton of features including Varia radar, Trainer Control and a bunch of others (and squished a lot of bugs) since then...the latest is 2.4. We've also updated the Stages LINK support app with a bunch of new features so you might want to update your app as well.

For updating Dash firmware....we know Stages SYNC wasn't always the easiest way to do things and so we now recommend people update via this process:

https://manuals.stagescycling.com/...50/firmware-release/

We have another firmware update coming up soon which will add a few more features, and more still planned for 2021.

I think he has the L10, the link you have is for the L50 and M50. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AH right you are. What I'm noting is for the M50/L50 for sure. The L10 is a solid deal at $75 but it's not going to get the same updates as the internals don't support the same features unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats a heck of a deal! Been a huge fan of mine all year and I switched from Wahoo. You won't be disappointed especially at that price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean at Stages wrote:
AH right you are. What I'm noting is for the M50/L50 for sure. The L10 is a solid deal at $75 but it's not going to get the same updates as the internals don't support the same features unfortunately.

I would appreciate an update that would just fix the bugs of the L10, like the slow GPS fix.

Adding basic navigation (as advertised) without having to use a premium account would be a nice bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are working on the Premium Link course requirement, that is a priority. Stay tuned.

Are you seeing slow GPS connection with every use? With the L10 it's possible that it'll take up to 20min to establish a GPS lock on the first ride/connection but it should be less than 2 min every time after that unless you're in a basement or something. If you're experiencing something other than that, email support@stagescycling.com and we'll get you sorted out* on all of this.

*Be aware our ticket response times are usually quite quick but it's taking longer than we like currently due to higher than normal...well....everything...due to all the increased activity related to Covid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean at Stages wrote:
We are working on the Premium Link course requirement, that is a priority. Stay tuned.

Are you seeing slow GPS connection with every use? With the L10 it's possible that it'll take up to 20min to establish a GPS lock on the first ride/connection but it should be less than 2 min every time after that unless you're in a basement or something. If you're experiencing something other than that, email support@stagescycling.com and we'll get you sorted out* on all of this.

*Be aware our ticket response times are usually quite quick but it's taking longer than we like currently due to higher than normal...well....everything...due to all the increased activity related to Covid.

Hi Sean,

Good to know you are working on the premium link course requirement.

I have reached out to Stages (David) and they have been very responsive thus far. My device is probably going to be replaced.

Edit:
The GPS fix is always slow, except when I use the device again on the same day (even if I turn it off and on again). Time and timezone is set correctly.
Last edited by: Jörgen: Dec 1, 20 3:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update: my dash has been replaced by stages, they have been so kind to give me a M50. Really happy with it thus far. The screen is amazing, really bright and easy to read graphics. You can see what you are doing in a glance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a Dash L10 (on clearance for C$120), I figured it was worth the gamble for that price. I'll report back...good or bad...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Just ordered a Dash L10 (on clearance for C$120), I figured it was worth the gamble for that price. I'll report back...good or bad...

I ordered on Feb 10, but haven't installed it yet - we've only received about 1m of snow since then. $75 and Amazon dropped shipped it directly from Stages.
Quote Reply

Prev Next