Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me more about Edge wheels...
Quote | Reply
Seem to be deep at 85mm and inexpensive too. For those that have some or know about them please tell me more.

Last edited by: carboner: May 19, 08 20:51
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for my tubie order from my LBS so I'll let you know how it rides after it comes in and I get it mounted and what not.

I believe it's a copy of the Zip 808 rim and a Taiwanese hub which is a copy of an earlier Zipp hub. I believe the Token, Gigatex, Planet X that are the 85mm tubies are using the same rim. Not sure if the hubs are the same though. There is another company based in the states also known as ELITE but I think a lot of there stuff is made in house.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [Spectatorsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not anywhere close to the same rim as zipp. it s one of these asia rim like many other company you mention but zipp as a different rim and shape that is in fact faster..same with Hed. You pay for what you get....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told it was a copy of an older Zipp design, not the new generation one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them and like them a lot. They weigh a little more than 808's, but are much, much cheaper. 5 or so of my tri friends use them and we all like them and have used them for IM's and local sprints. I used mine this past weekend for a local sprint, and they fared pretty good. I put a wheel cover on my rear wheel to make it a cheap disc. I may be biased b/c I sell them in the classifieds here.

It's actually the same riml as the beyond fab 85 mm rim and the TOKEN T5/T85 or whatever they are calling it these days.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
Last edited by: RUNPUDDRUN: May 20, 08 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zipp as never made a 85mm wheel other than maybe experimental..... but anyway, zipp as a patent for a buldge shape that no other company but Hed can use so that eliminate any possibility of the rim zipp.

There is many company that are selling 58mm deep wheel but they are purchasing there rim from zipp.... these wheel are replica of thea older 404. but so far, the 808 is 82mm and never been seen anywhere else but at zipp.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to be confused with wheels from Edge Composites in N. Utah
http://www.edgecomposites.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not anywhere close to the same rim as zipp. it s one of these asia rim like many other company you mention but zipp as a different rim and shape that is in fact faster..same with Hed. You pay for what you get....

Thanks for bringing that info out. So you've compared these rims to the Zipps? Are they significantly heavier, or are they poor quality such that a fracture becomes likely?
I'm most interested in how their shape differs from the Zipps? How is the profile different?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, just buy em' .You don't have to spend $2000 on a set of wheels to be fast. I ride a Token 85/50 combo. No problems with them at all.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 85 rim is not flat by any means. Somewhat simliar to a pinwheel. In the phots, look at the white stripes below "Edge". The indention in the rim follows the same shape as the stripe. Make sense? I'd take a side photo for you but I can't figure out the whole picture posting thing:-(

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it s not poor quality and they will last. They are mostly a U shape. It s not ideal in terme of aerodynamic but it still decent. it s a bit heavier but weight isnt important. Overal, you get what you pay for, a decent wheel at a decent price. The zipp and hed have that buldge shape that is better on a aerodynamic stand point but cost more. Personaly, i would not ride anything else than zipp or hed as i beleive the significant difference in performance in aerodynamic is worthy to me. and i m not ok to let that advantage go...... the difference is substancial and there is a few graph on slowtwitch that show the difference between these 85mm or 100mm wheels and the 808..... just make a search! you will be surprise...

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that on my college student budget, I can't afford ZIPPS, and these were a great alternative to used race wheels, & paired w/ a cover it's just plain fast. The shape is more like a groove that runs around the rim, they call it Dynamic Air Displacement to displace air proportional away from rim and away from the spoke bed in direct head winds or cross winds, blah, blah, blah.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [RUNPUDDRUN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree with you, on a budget...they can be a good alternative and everyone need to make there own mind

as for the shape, i was just refering to the rim... it s a U shape. there is V shape and there is buldge shapes.... as for the groove....yeah.... about as usefull as dimples!!!!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a rear cover...I presume you are going to have a 32 spoke 3x wheel under that cover? Why get a carbon wheel and cover it?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you have a rear cover...I presume you are going to have a 32 spoke 3x wheel under that cover? Why get a carbon wheel and cover it?
Weight, maybe?

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. Didn't jonnyo put a cover on his 808?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyO is blessed and did not pay for his 808. There is no real weight or aero gain of a cover on an 808 over a CXP33...it has already been said that weight is not important - aero is. My money...give me a 32 spoke 3x PT 2.4 rear wheel with a cover....oh, wait! I got one! But then again when I race I ride the Zipps (909).

If money is AT ALL an issue...get an aero front and a cover for any rear...save for better wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know much at all when it comes to aerodynamics, but he still put a cover on his rear 808. What does that mean? That he doesn't care about aero or weight? I have an aero front, and an aero rear, what is wrong with that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So talk to me in minutes. Olympic? Half IM? IM? How much slower are these compared to a ZIPP 808? Right now I am on Reynolds Stratus DV, similar to a ZIPP 404.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A rear aero wheel is great...but when you put a cover on an aero wheel...well, you may as well put a cover on a box section rim - it is now a disk...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They say that a wheelcover on an 808 rim is more aero than a standard disc...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a 32x would be almost lenticular ;-)

808 with the right cover would have the same profile-ish section as the sub9 I bet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, carboner. Would you mind telling the other readers and me where you can purchase these wheels (online). I can't seem to find either the official site or any second-hand listings for them. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do I have to do, when I wake up tomorrow, to become excellent. Do that, and then do it again the next day, and the next, etc. One day you'll wake up and the time and the fitness will have taken care of themselves."
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me more about Edge wheels... [Nailey13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check the classified's section...

Quote Reply

Prev Next